War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Merkur Progress

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Parker Variant

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

As much as I like my Fat Boys, the Parker Variant and Merkur Progress are my favorites. I think they're equal in performance. The Parker looks better.

Herm

StewB, Jim99 and Michael_W like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Apollo is my favorite, Progress #2.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

:signs021:

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You do realize there is no such thing as a blade that is good in one razor and not in another? Everything you said is covered by technique. People that try to use a tool to cover for bad technique are always going to be hunting.
    The only good reason for an adjustable was that the company made money. They look cool though. I have and use several.

gorgo2, Lancre and brit like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!

Michael_W likes this.
  6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But, I’d have the Taiga over the Gibbs by a bumper.

Michael_W likes this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

All well and good but i tend to look at things from another point of view.

An adjustable razor fits almost all shavers.
    Some like or need a razor that is efficient to get a good shave.
    Some don't need a really efficient razor nor do they want one.
    So from a sales point of view a razor that all buyers can use is a plus.
    Along with only having to have one tooling is economical for a company's bottom line.
    I open up the adjustable razors as efficient as they go, then shave.

For those who can't, wont, or don't need to have an efficient razors.
    There are the lower numbers.

My two cents.
    tp

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

True middle of the road explanation. But again no need for adjustable. Buy a mild razor or not so mild razor. Or just learn to use a razor and it does not matter. The adjustable is better for the company selling. At least you do not seem to like twisting on the knob during a shave.

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey fuzzy!
    No I don't change settings or the like.
    I also use a feather blade, a new feather blade each time I shave.
    I'm not a fan of so called mild razors either.
    I like good cutting action from a razor.
    Using a nice sharp blade each time I shave has spoiled me too.
    I like any razor blade combo that will give good sevice without pressure, unlike in the plastic carts sold at the big box stores.
    I've got razors on the cheap simply because the seller can't use the thing, to aggressive so they say.
    My theory is, aggressive is in the hand, efficiency is in the razor.
    I don't own any aggressive razors, but I do own some very efficient ones.
    But you knew that.
    Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think I'm finally getting it.
    Took a while, but I think I'm almost there.
    So really, there isn't a need for an adjustable razor, in the practical sense.
    But they do sell really well.
    And if your making a thing to sell, sell the popular item.
    Hype them in adds, pretty them up.
    Sell baby sell!
    Some adjustables do shave well, on the higher setting.
    I think that's about a nickels worth or more.
    Sorry
    tp

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    wristwatchb, brit and Michael_W like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All I can say is.....yup. Your all aight. As they say where I come from.

brit and Terry like this.
  11. Michael_W

Nah, it's not all about technique, otherwise one would be able to shave with a rusty can lid and filthy cold water and get a BBS face afterward without irritation of nicks. It's not that technique isn't a factor; it is. You definitely need to learn proper technique for whichever blade and razor combination you use. But the fact is that different blades are made of different metals. Some, like Treet, produce carbon steel blades that are nice and sharp and long-lasting, but are much more prone to rust. Some companies, or so I've heard, make their blades from pot metal. And even among stainless steel blades, there are various coatings that can affect how the shave goes.

Likewise, not all razors are the same. Some are larger than others, some are heavier, and then of course the sheer variety of designs. Let's take my two favorite adjustables as example. The Parker Variant has a noticeably taller cap than does the Merkur Progress, making it a bit trickier to effectively shave the area under the nose (which is where my Merkur Mustache and Eyebrow razor comes in handy). And then of course some razors simply don't mesh well with some blades. I could place a Feather blade in my Van Der Weishi or my Gillette Heritage-Inspired and have few or no problems, but there's no way in hell I'm loading it into my PAA Ascension or my Emperor Augustus, not unless I wanted to have the lower half of my face removed. If it was all down to technique alone, I should be able to shave exactly the same regardless of razor and blade combination. But obviously, I can't, because each requires mastering the technique that is particular thereto. One simply cannot treat all razors and blades the same.

I'm not trying to start a battle over technique versus tool, mostly because I find such an argument silly and ultimately unproductive. It's simply that I hold the opinion—borne out by experience—that there is merit to both the technique and the tool argument, and we shouldn't discount the very real differences between various razors and blades as each has its unique properties requiring tailoring technique to fit a given combination.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    BamaT, Str8on2 and Leo K. like this.
  12. Michael_W

THIS ^^^

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

THIS ^^^ignores the fact that there's more to razor performance than gap. No matter where I adjust my Slim it's fundamental geometry remains the same, and on no setting will it match the performance of my favorite razors, adjustable or otherwise.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Terry like this.
  14. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I do not like adjustable.
    I had and sold all of them.
    Just the Merkur Futur is still in my den.
    More a piece of Art, than a daily shaver.

[​IMG]

Tdmsu, Terry and battle.munky like this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

In '62 I bought my first razor. A Gillette Slim for $1.95. It still gives me great shaves with a Wilkinson Sword blade. The past few years I've tried a number of other razors but always seem to go back to my Slim. Tried the Astra SP in it and I get a faster shave with less strokes than a Wilkinson blade.

BamaT, Michael_W and Hembree like this.
  16. Michael_W

Undoubtedly, but again, the sheer variance in razors and blades means having an adjustable reduces the number of tools actually needed—which, let's face it, for people on a budget, is a lot more economical.

BamaT and Terry like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You're of course entitled to your opinion, I may have and enjoy a couple hundred razors but I don't need more than one tool.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Terry and Michael_W like this.
  18. Michael_W

Well, yeah, for those of us with surplus disposable income to spend on all manner of razors new and old, you're right. I'm just saying, is all.

BamaT and Terry like this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have not tried all of them, but my current favorite adjustable is the Rockwell Model T

Edison Carter and Michael_W like this.
  20. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Obviously my technique is not the equal of yours. :shaver

Michael_W likes this.