New standard handle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I have a new standard and a new standard tuckaway razor but both a a crack in the handle. Is there anyway to fix it? Or if not anyone have uncracked handles I could get off them? Thank y’all I’m going to be sending them off next month to have them replated along with my old type that says property of US Army.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Jayaruh and brit like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A few small hose clamps and 2 part epoxy on the inside will take care of it, but since you're getting it replated that probably wouldn't be a good idea till afterwards.

brit likes this.
  3. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Sounds good will it last? I don’t tighten the heads down tight.

brit likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you don't stress it any worse than need be, it should outlast both of us. ;)

brit likes this.
  5. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Great thank you

brit likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Plumber adhesive glue also works well for cracks in hollow tube razor handles.

brit, gorgo2 and Swampfox like this.
  7. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Replating will make the crack more visible as the surface will get more reflective. It's not a problem, jut a fyi.
    Sometimes cracks can be pulled together, but it usually will still be visible to some extent.
    Remove the tube, sand down the piece that caused the crack (neck or bottom plug) till it loosely fits the tube. Clean surfaces, apply flux and a bit of solder, fit the neck/bottom into the handle, apply some force with a vice/hose clamp/pliers, till the crack dissapears, apply heat.
    Avoid getting solder on the outside, it's almost impossible to remove from the knurled areas.

Adam

gorgo2, Swampfox and brit like this.