The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is On its Way from a Trusted Swedish Seller..A Shave Ready NOS Minty Otto Busch Solingen 6/8th..Its a Silver Sheffield Steel Kyser Ellison & Co Blade..Got it For a Real Good Buy it Now Price..Its Been Honed On a Naniwa Super Stone Progression to 10 K..I Will Put a Natural Edge on it..Probably an Escher Thuringian 17 K or Maybe Even a Fine Coticule..:D

Choices, Choices of Edges..:happy102:

Billy.:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    ischiapp, Steve56, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

I’m almost embarrassed to post this Wade & Butcher acquisition after the beautiful, NOS, immaculate razors you’ve all been posting. The blade is stained has rust damage near the left side shoulder, and has some chipping on the edge which may account for the low price. The seller didn’t know the blade width, but it looks like a 6/8 or possibly 7/8. Seller was an antique dealer who didn’t know anything about razors. I’d be very interested in your candid thoughts. I didn’t spend much for it, so no worries about being honest. I’ve only been straight shaving for about 6 mos. I hope to learn from your feedback. I’ll be sending this out to Glen for a restoration, unless you tell me not to bother, after the great job he did on my old Boker.

8EB7B0CE-2CE1-4E4F-A283-4B7111516F4C.jpeg 59EAC082-E80C-472F-8813-3201E7389591.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Steve56, Timwcic, esvh and 6 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I saw that, but passed. I was a little hesitant about that barbers notch, in the blade. It looked almost homemade. If Glen does the restoration work, he might be able to make the notch more factory looking. Other than that, it seems to be a solid razor. Wade & Butcher make fine razors.

Steve56, esvh, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Wow, a blockbuster of a trade!

You are now master of the world!

5. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My NOS Puma Inox Special 6/8th Arrived Today from Sweden..Its in Mint Condition..Its a Stainless Blade So I Will Finish it On My 20 K Surgical Black Arkansas..Its a Generous Sized Blade for a 6/8th..Very Rare Find at a Decent Price..A Rare Bird these Days for Sure..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  6. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Oh the horror, and it’s a #14 too. From a estate sale that SWMBO went to while I recover from hip replacement. Seller knew it was bad and gave it to her at N/C to see if I can do anything with it

7C75FA67-3F0F-4EC9-A139-CA26D5C85D8A.jpeg 51D0341F-C35A-4EA6-93A8-5E825203F432.jpeg

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 4 others like this.
  7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

That is some nice steel, very nice steel

esvh, TestDepth, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

esvh, TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  9. DaltonGang

Oh, that's an easy fix. Just angle the heel and make a Japanese looking razor. They do it all the time on Western style blades.

Keithmax, esvh, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Terriere Daniel
    Le Chef des Tranchants(The Chef of the Edges)
    Diplome D'Honneur Grand Prix(Honorary Diploma Grand Prix)
    Paris Londres(Paris London)
    No2 Depose(No2 Deposit)
    7/8th Frameback.

Wow, what a mouthful, written on the razor, not the translations. I think I got it for a steal, straight from France. It needs a little TLC, but should shine up nicely. I would be interested in knowing the age, if anyone would care to guess. 1870-1890???

PA191429.JPG

PA191430.JPG

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 4 others like this.
  11. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My NOS Mint Factory Fresh Kayser Ellison & Co Sheffield Steel ERN Crown & Sword Solingen 5/8th Arrived Today..It was Made in 1933 when Hitler became Chancellor of Germany..He Allegedly Stopped Solingen Razor Manufacturers Using Foreign Steel.This Razor Looks as if it was Made Yesterday & its a Beautifully Ground Sheffield Blade Ground in Solingen..A Rare Bird for Sure..:D

Now to Get her on the Hones..:kar:

12. DaltonGang

J.A.Hellberg "Trollhätte Diamantstål"
    Eskilstuna Sweden
    11/16th+ inch. Frameback

Straight from Sweden. In looking closely, at the scales, I can see that they are made of ivory. This razor has not been cleaned up yet, but should look nice when done.

PA201434.JPG

PA201436.JPG

PA201437.JPG

Edison Carter, b1hart, esvh and 3 others like this.
  13. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

Trancher means to cut.

I love framebacks. I have such a backlog of razor to clean and hone. Your post gives me inspiration. I will chose a frameback as next project. I have cleaned one, but didn't hone it yet. It is a rebranded leresche.

14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I agree that the heel can be fixed, but you're also going to have to lose some of that blessed width to correct the frown too. Too bad such a nice razor has had such rough use...

Edison Carter, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  15. Mr. Oldschool

Some guys have all the luck... (cue Rod Stewart)

esvh, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Not Lucky..Just Willing to Pay for NOS Razors..I have a Secret Seller Mind that Sells Em at a Good Price..:D

17. Mr. Oldschool

And that I call luck! ;)

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  18. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    My Custom Re Scaled Kastor Swedish Steel 15/16th Arrived Today..Its a Lovely Blade & was Well Worth the Bother of Getting a New Set of Faux Tortoise Scales Fitted as the Original Ones were Cracked & Loose..Not a Bad Job..Its an Outstanding Shaver..:)

19. DaltonGang

Stunning. :happy088::happy088:

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Two more parts of my trade arrived today - the stone and razor. I shaved with the razor tonight - excellent shave, enough of a smile to make easier work of tougher to reach parts of my face and just enough hollow to get a little extra reduction on the point of the chin compared to a true near wedge. :happy036:

Don’t know much about the stone but looking forward to trying it out. Smooth as glass. :happy088:

E316B079-96CE-4945-9BA7-759AD5C47902.jpeg

Keithmax, Edison Carter, esvh and 5 others like this.