Yaqi synthetic - not so satisfied

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Z-2, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I've got mail call - a Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic 24mm brush. Since the brush is nice itself, today I decided to try it. I never used synthetic brushes till now and was curious, reading so many comments and reviews how great are they.

My set-up was the brush, a barbon shaving cream (hungarian) and Merkur 34C+Gillette platinum blade.

I've got good lather, can't complain about that, but still prefer my cheap pure badger brush. I simply can't understand the fuss about synthetics. 2 things I realized from shave :

1. the brush was too soft and sprayed lather all around when I create lather from cream (face lather)

2. the lather was good, but not that thick as from my badger (I use mostly cheap pure badger brushes like Shea moisture and VDH, lately Bevel). I much prefer also feeling of exfoliating on my skin from pure badgers.
    What are your opinions about synthetics vs badgers? Thanks !

brit, Hembree and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I personally prefer boar over both and badger over synthetic. I simply like the feel of boar and badger better.. My wife uses a large synthetic, but the primary reason is because she keeps it in the shower. If she shaved her legs outside of the shower, she would also have a badger or boar brush.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Daywalker, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  3. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I like synthetics although I have not (yet) tried the more recent ones. Most are softer and if your preference is pure badger they will not deliver the kind of experience you are used to. Keep in mind your technique has developed based on the brushes you have been using, if you used a synthetic exclusively for a couple weeks, your technique would adjust and the results would probably be better but you would probably still miss the feel of pure badger.

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The synthetics use water differently. In most cases, they use less water. Or properly said you should use less water to attain the results as compared to a Badger brush. You can either not soak as you would a natural fiber, or (as I mostly do) apply a few extra flicks to remove some of the water clinging to the brush.
    I once claimed the badger as the king of shave brushes, but I’ve softened some. The synthetic have their benefits, finding them can be a fun adventure, good luck

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.
  5. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I love both boar and synthetics, but after getting my first two synthetics this festive season, i used my well worn in Omega 49 today, and i can see why i stuck with boar for so long. Its personal preference, each type of bristles have different advantages and disadvantages, its all about which properties are more important to you.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

brit and lightcs1776 like this.