New standard replating

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I’m going to be sending my new standard and NS tuckaway off to be replated. Both are gold, but was thinking having both replated in nickel would this be period correct?

brit likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

They came either in gold or silver plated. Of course if cases are involved, they would need changing also.

brit likes this.
  3. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, NI were usually gold or silver, late ones were sometimes chrome plated, so nickel is incorrect. Chrome would also be incorrect if it’s not a late serial.
    A replate won’t ever be “original”, so for me it’s down to ones personal preference.

Adam

brit likes this.
  4. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

A 1918 old type was silver or nickel?

5. romsitsa

Depends. If single ring, silver or gold, if ball end, silver, gold or nickel.

Adam

6. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

B78B738A-43AD-4DFD-B656-615881CBF6E0.jpeg Here is a pic of the old type. Silver or A1981FC8-82CE-4DF9-B89D-A56DAD52EF94.jpeg 9063119C-EF7C-4FAE-A42F-0B92B368740A.jpeg

brit likes this.
  7. romsitsa

Nickel.

Adam

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

9. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

This has no serial number only a pat. Date on handle of January 13, 1920. What year? EB6134CE-538D-4DF0-9508-4A8E713D16BC.jpeg

brit likes this.
  10. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

This tuckaway has a serial number but so close to edge can’t read it. So roughly what year? CBE6044F-7F96-4092-A722-9E49594A2020.jpeg

brit likes this.
  11. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

How hard is it to find a original handle for the old type?

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

most are cracked or split but they do show up ..Razor Emporium has a reproduction one with heavier knurling..
    https://www.razoremporium.com/
    look under vintage gillette razors.they have replated razors as well..

13. romsitsa

No serial: October 1927.-August 1928.
    For the rest: A 1921-22, B 1922-27, C: 1928-29 So chrome should have a high C serial.
    Good condition Ni handles are not that common. Old type ball ends with no crack are even less common. The army property head belongs to a ball end handle with the Pat.Nov.15.04. stamp on the lower band (pre 1921).

Adam

14. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I have seen the aftermarket handle they make. They look good. Now the Other two I don’t have a case for them so period correct plating would be gold and what silver or nickel?

15. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Ok thank you the so one is a 1927-1928. I have looked at the serial number for the old type with tech handle and it is a 1919

16. romsitsa

For those two Ni gold or silver.

Adam

17. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Okay thank you. What plating was most common between gold and silver?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020