Hones and Hone Acquisitions

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Steve56, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :thanks:Scott..I Will Keep an Eye Out on UK Ebay for Ya..I Dont Mind Posting One Over to You if One Comes Up..If Ya Cover the Postage..Thats the 2nd One I Bought this Week..The Other One is Not Labeled But I Am Sure its an Escher..Should Find Out Tomorrow..Thats it Above..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Newly Acquired Thuringian Stone Arrived Today..It was Unlabeled..But..It an Escher Thuringian For Sure..Here it is Next to My Labeled Escher Branded Thuringian..Its a Very Fine & Smooth Stone..I Am Delighted as I Got it for a Steal as the Seller had No Clue What it Was..:happy097:

I Lapped it Flat with Silicone Carbide Grit 80 & Grit 250 & then Lapped it with 350 & Finished it On 1000 Grit Wet & Dry..Smooth as Silk..You Can See the Similarities in Both Stones..The One I Just Got is a Little Lighter in Color & Has Similar Purple Inclusions..I Knew it was an Escher Stone..Canny Be Bad..Cheap as Chips..Delighted..:D

Lapped & Chamfered & Good to Go..:shocked003:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    jgreenepa, Keithmax, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Another Labeled Escher Thuringian Finishing Stone Arrived Today..Lapped to 1000 Grit Wet & Dry & Chamfered & Ready & Good to Go..Its More of a Greenish Color than this Photo Shows..A Very Fine & Uber Smooth Stone..Feels Smoother to the Touch than 16 K Lapping Film..:D

4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I've had a Belgian Yellow (coticule) since I started wet shaving, and along the way I've picked up a carborundum barbers hone, a Swatty, and a Super Punjab. The coticule is a good stone, the others are neither here nor there. I can get a blade honed up to useable with great pains, but they have to be extensively (read 3 or 4 times the normal amount) refined on my pasted balsa strop. The Punjab has been my bevel setting tool, but it has always lacked a certain refinement, and it's too small to get a proper stoke across it. Not having the money to put into what I'd really like (Shapton progression set), I found and ordered this, which will at least work to get a bevel for a little while: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224098664191
    Anybody have any experience with King stones? I'm assuming it won't last for a really long time, but it at least gets modestly decent reviews in a couple places.
    What do you guys think?

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This on should be on the way soon, a hard Okuda suita. Most likely a pre-finisher for razors and a final finisher for knoves, but ‘razor’ was mentioned so we’ll see what it does when it gets here.

D33FF582-BCB1-4FC0-B17F-4B5EF90CD8FD.jpeg 11F653D8-1804-4AB4-8D53-BF2A73C46762.jpeg BB5210F3-CA56-473E-83ED-A1418343766A.jpeg

6. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir!

8. Mr. Oldschool

Just arrived today. I will be testing it out soon, but here's the first look.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

9. Mr. Oldschool

Your stone almost looks more like fine wall art than a tool for sharpening your razor...

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

FYI, I started with a King 1,000 stone. It is a super slow bevel setter. Painfully slow. It acts more like a 2-3k stone. I honed many razors with it, but I wish I had started with something else. I eventually went with the Norton 220/1000 stone. With the 220, I can repair damaged bevels quickly, and set the bevel 4+ times quicker with the 1000 side faster than the King 1000 stone. Here is a link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-NT3...48efbd42d6:g:RM8AAOSwKnlfiLed&redirect=mobile

11. DaltonGang

Odd reflections. Does it change shade at different angles??

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

No it’s wet in the seller’s images I feel sure. It arrived a few hours ago, it left Japan early Monday morning in the wee hours, and arrived late Tuesday afternoon. Double thumbs up to DHL, who have been equally speedy on a couple of others.

3F57F12D-0C9D-4899-95DD-B8B8AF47A986.jpeg B1E830EB-2C71-490C-AD48-992C7FA89C4D.jpeg 79E5B6C8-2FFB-4E78-BAD0-14A3E88BF857.jpeg

13. DaltonGang

That one looks great. How many JNATS does that make for you, so far?? Are you looking for the perfect one? Or, are you just enjoying the many different ones you can find??

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’ve not counted them Scott, and I have a lot of small pieces that I use for nagura or finger stones too. I have a few that are ‘perfect’ as far as purity goes, but most of my best razor finishers have imperfections of some sort in them, imperfections seem to go with harder stones.

But I don’t have many suita, the stones that are mostly knife and tool stones. They can be very useful when honing a razor, I have a Nakayama suita that’s so fast that on diamond plate slurry, it can remove 1k Chosera marks in 30 normal razor stokes. So I’m trying to add a few of this particular kind of stone over time, the other types less so, though I’ll go for something nice that’s a bargain.

15. DaltonGang

Well, the Stones that you do share with us are very very nice. Me, trying to understand all things Japanese Stones, just makes my head spin. I will just defer to your knowledge, if I have questions.

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  16. Mr. Oldschool

It still looks like you lifted it from the Louvre or something...;)

Billyfergie, jgreenepa and Steve56 like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Shhhh!

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Hey all I found this little guy at the antique shop near my place and I was just looking for anything anyone might know about it. On the small end of the box it says No. E13, also it says combination stone. As always thanks for the info and help :) 16050385909905695563436522497247.jpg

Billyfergie likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

They were usually for tools and knives. Not razors.
    I have one, that was given to me, several years ago. It is 8x2x1. It is well over 50 years old. It is Very rough on one side and very smooth on the other. I spent a few days soaking and scrubbing, to clean out the gunk. It smelled like axle grease. But, it has no perceivable wear to it. . I might try it out on a razor, only to repair major damage, but not to set the bevel, or finish the edge. It will be a fine stone to use on knives, at my house.

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

A sweet looking Thuringian just arrived in the mail, straight from Scotland, thanks to billy (@Billyfergie ). Very Generous. I will try to give it a test, this Monday.
    It is approx 6 x 1 1/2.

PB141453.JPG

Karl G, Edison Carter, Zykris and 2 others like this.