The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

i understand what you mean..
    f71c38c63cafeeb9234eca7a76d6e3d7.jpg

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Rodgers rescale coming in from @doc226 - patterned black horn. Gotta love a nice Joseph Rodgers.

2A8D51A8-9A32-4914-9041-493D3B81B4A2.jpeg 2A1264FA-D33F-4F76-8268-C8C908B589CA.jpeg B0E2AF68-0761-4A62-82FF-3E3E2A7C149D.jpeg 429F759D-A5DD-4493-811E-0A5FCEDD477D.jpeg

3. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Fitting scales for that razor Steve... beautiful. :happy088:

Karl G, Steve56 and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Hey guys and gals I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong thread and I apologize but I need some advice. I finally got my honing ability to the point where I can shave proudly and comfortably!! But I have a new problem, replacing scales! I need help and advice and a tool list. I want to restore the 10 or so SR I have but so far all I can work on is the blades.

Without breaking the bank what tool should I get to remove the old scales and attach new ones? Please any and all advice would be extremely helpful and I promise I will post a before and after picture of my first full on restoration :)

5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Here is a Very Clear,,No Nonsense Video Demonstration & Tools Needed to Peen & Un Peen SR Scales by Jamie from Wales in the UK..:happy088:

Billy.. :chores016:

6. Jake Gibson

Billy you sweet Scottish scoundrel thank you very much I shall watch this video again and again. I shall also dedicate my first full restoration, not to myself or my wife but to the Scottish Ninja :)

7. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    Och Aye the Noo..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

8. Jake Gibson

Now for my next inquiry....before I check Ebay and Etsy does anyone have any of the hardware necessary for pining scales they'd be willing to donate for my first full on restoration?? I will forever be in your debt :)

9. TestDepth

All I have is “Tiger” for this one. I have seen Tiger razors as a Lauterjung precursor to Puma, but this tiger looks slightly different.
    5ED64BC3-1D7D-4478-B9A8-F5F5C8DF320C.jpeg
    Close up of the mark:
    A6C5ACC3-D49B-47AE-8D02-38490CC8B3FB.jpeg
    Maybe, maybe not, but feels good in hand.

Also got my hands on another 14, a Mann & Federlein. A little over 7/8, not the greatest of scales, but should be a nice addition to the 14 team. :)
    EF89D17B-5D9B-4893-8FC0-0DEB94BD87DB.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very nice additions... :happy088:

11. TestDepth

Thank you.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Jake Gibson

I managed to find a decent pinning kit on Ebay for fairly cheap (I think) it's enough of what I need to scale two straight razors. I also got a set of really nice looking scales that are black with thin blue pinstripes. Can't wait to put them on my Wade and Butcher that I just honed and polished.

Edison Carter, esvh, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  13. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Waiting on this Rather Beautiful Very Rare Otto Fromm 50 Redhead Solingen 7/8th + Barbers Notch..Arriving from Germany..I Have Never Seen One of these Razors this Size Never Mind in this Kinda Condition..Its a Rare Bird for Sure..Its Shave Ready & Been Finished on a 20k Suehiro Gokumyo Stone..;)

:char039:Now the Wait..:sad038:

14. TestDepth

Absolutely stunning Fromm! Congrats.

Karl G, esvh, Steve56 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Billyfergie

:thanks:Tom..It Cost Me a Few Dollars More But Hey..Its a Rare Bird & I Just Could Not Resist it..One of those Once in a Lifetime Jobs Maybe..:happy088:

Karl G, esvh, TestDepth and 1 other person like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Wow...:drool:

Karl G, esvh, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Really!
    I’ve never regretted buying a razor, but I’ve regretted selling many. You’ll be happy with this one in your collection for a long time.

Edison Carter, Karl G, esvh and 2 others like this.
  18. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

That Redhead got some sweet curves.

Karl G, esvh, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

:thanks:Looking Forward to Shaving with it..:happy088:

Karl G, esvh and TestDepth like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This 8/8 coming in from Max Sprecher in a couple of days, the orange scales are University of Tennessee colors.

5D7443AE-EE91-4D57-99F8-5D31EB38CCC0.jpeg 9CBD1806-FCA0-4650-B628-E111F52F41C4.jpeg