What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

Good point on the feel of the stones Billy I thought I finally had honing down until I actually shaved with the razor. I went super cheap on the stones and I guess I'm reaping what I sow. I'm just on such a super tight budget for buying my wet shaving stuff. The Chinese knockoff site Ali Express has stones galore in every grit imaginable and really cheap too so I might give that a try or they've also got a lapping film set for about $20ish I was looking at, maybe I'll get that too.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It would help a lot, if you posted pics, of your razor and hone.

Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  3. Jake Gibson

16045800935985908983499415041783.jpg

Steve56, jgreenepa, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  4. Jake Gibson

I tried to get them all in frame, the two big ones are both double sided, the one on the left side feels basically the same grit on both sides, the one on the bottom is super smooth on one side and quite coarse on the other. I just bought the little one in the stand the other day and it came with the small grayish white finishing stone and a bottle of honing solution and that's my Crown razor.

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A nice old Joseph Rodgers with worked spine, Shapton 2k HR, Shapton 6K HC, and the iromono (multicolor) jnat finisher.

4453FCDF-BCC8-4BB4-A1DF-B87E0C60D436.jpeg

6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

4 German blades pictured on the 4 stone progression they went through...

1st was an Esplanado Co. “Panama” razor commemorating the Panama Canal, shown on the Suehiro 1k bevel setter.
    7DE8A584-D12E-47A7-858C-7F50680B86A8.jpeg
    The 2nd was a Griffon on the Naniwa 4k Hayabusa.
    3425F472-4B12-4A2D-ADED-C04CE939AD60.jpeg
    The 3rd was a M. Jung “Our Special” with a nicely blued tang and spine shown on the Naniwa 8k Snow White.
    72092F24-7422-45DA-9CDB-7CB8DB2941DD.jpeg
    And finally a C.C.Craig Co. “No Hone” :) on the Charnley Forest finisher.
    A2E108C0-2CC2-4611-8E76-2B4A724DFCD1.jpeg
    No drama with these razors or the progression.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Jim99, Edison Carter, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

:love029:

jgreenepa, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got Round to Honing this Recently Required Sheffield Steel ERN Crown & Sword..Its an 11/16th...Its NOS Factory Fresh Made Around 1933 According to the Seller ...Super Mint & Made of the Same Silver Kayser Ellison Co Sheffield Steel as My Otto Busch.Its a Bit of a Rare Bird for Sure..;)

Bevel Set & Honed on My Usual Naniwa Progression & Finished on a Fine 16 + Escher Thuringiian..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Jim99, Karl G, Edison Carter and 5 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Testing a nagura with a user-grade KP14.

666C2B09-385B-4913-879B-59B96A7281FC.jpeg

Jim99, Karl G, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

Took the Palmax to the hones.
    Still don’t have much on this one except a Solingen penknife with that brand.
    Took the pic on the Snow White 8k before the sun went down. Didn’t know the finisher at that point.
    B4A73FE9-7A99-47B5-94D1-8ABE1F106C71.jpeg
    Then took the Otto Busch through the same Suehiro 1k, Naniwa 4k & 8k.
    7AF9178C-F906-4544-BF06-67BC3A49CCB9.jpeg
    Ended up taking them both to the Okudo with a Nakayama tomo slurry.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Jim99, Steve56, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

R.H.Hegener
    Vandium
    Minneapolis Minn.
    Made in Germany

This one is a Co-Workers family heirloom, handed down from a Great Grandfather. Supposedly he used it during WWI, and stopped using it after. It was in rough shape, so I shined it up, and took it to the stones. I finished it on my Welsh Slate Stones, and a Escher Thuingian from @Billyfergie . It took a really nice edge. Sadly, it will probably be used as a Wall Hanger, from here on out.

PB161454.JPG

12. DaltonGang

Case Bros.
    Tested
    Little Valley NY

What a PITA. At first, I thought this one just had an area that wasn't tempered correctly. I worked and worked, on it, with the Norton 1K. Then, I came to the conclusion that this is just a very hard steel razor. It took forever, it seemed. But, once the bevel came on, it progressed nicely, through the Welsh Slate Stones, and ended with the Eschers Thuringian. I am liking this Eschers, a lot. It seems to be a somewhat fast stone to worth with, but leaves a very nice polished edge. Somewhat simpler and faster than my JNAT.

PB161455.JPG

13. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

J.R. Torrey
    Wanamaker Special.
    Worcester Mass.
    6/8, 1/2 hollow, barbers notch, double jimps.
    Black plastic scales.
    Original brass collars and pins.

Beautiful Torrey I recently received that showed a clean “shave ready” edge. Of course it wasn’t. But it was really close!
    A quick check with the lupe showed a good clean even bevel and apex with no damage but would not catch hair at all.
    Just a quick check on my Norton 8K to verify that the bevel was accurate and clean then progressed to my Naniwa 12K SS. Instantly hit its groove in a light slurry and takes a great edge.
    A really nice tool to use and great addition to my growing collection of Torrey.

[​IMG]

Friedr WIlhelm Engels.
    Grafrath-Solingen.
    5/8 square point full hollow no jimps.
    Ivory celluloid scales no rot.
    Ornate silver bolsteres.
    Original nickel pins.

This pretty little piece showed up with a edge more suitable for a hacksaw. I had to bevel and kill it 5 times to to get to clean steel.
    The Chosera 1K really earns its keep in these moments. Cutting clean and fast with a easy to work scratch pattern. Then my normal progression, Norton 4/8 midrange slurry to water- honestly one could have shaved off the 8K though I would not care too.
    Being a full hollow once it hit the 12K it was moments until it was sticking to the hone. Like all good Solingen blades it took the edge we have come to know and love.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DaltonGang

JA.Hellberg
    Eskilstuna Sweden
    Ivory Scales

This took on a fast bevel, and went through the stones at an easy pace. It takes a wickedly sharp edge, from the Eschers Thuringian Stone used in the final finish.

PB161457.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Jim99, Steve56, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  15. Ky K

Ky K Well-Known Member

Nice! Mine is sitting at the bench waiting on me to get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Winova
    by: Peter J. Michels
    Brooklyn NY
    Made in Germany

This one was a joy to hone. It is straight as an arrow, and takes on a great edge.
    I progressed through the Welch Slate Stones, and finished with the Eschers Thuringian.

PB161458.JPG

Jim99, Edison Carter, Ky K and 2 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

Big, heavy John Barber near wedge

Had to use a Shapton 220 to work out some chips, then turned to the Suehiro 1k to finish the bevel set. Then took it through two Coticules to work the mid and finish (pictured).
    2857EA52-1A79-4992-8828-C48EA00052DC.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

18. TestDepth

Packwood
    Skipped the 1k and just started with the Coticule. Spent a little time on the BBW side, flipped it and refined the bevel on the Coticule side. Finished on the same stone as the John Barber.
    1B511F04-FC90-4D3E-B642-1C0A12E4244D.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Jim99, Steve56, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  19. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

I'm new to honing and experimented trying to bring back an old straight that caught my eye because it had my oldest son's name on the blade - Eldon. It took me about 3 hours last night, but brought it back to a useable state. I tried it this morning and will need to work a bit more for a bit sharper edge. I'm happy with the initial results as a beginner, but it is a still a learning process for me. The blade just needed a lot of work and was very dull but not rusted, cracked, or chipped so I figured it was a great project to gain experience. It is also more a wedge which I wanted to experience since my other straights are more hollow. I may do a bit more work later tonight. I don't think I will need to do anywhere as much as yesterday, but will try to further improve the edge. I find it is fun reviving history.
    Steve

IMG_7953.jpg

Jim99, Steve56, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

Cool blade Steve (@Smooth Steve )! Picked up a Jonathan Crookes, based out of Eldon St., Sheffield just a few days ago myself.

I am a fan of a couple of layers of tape on a wedge. Doesn’t mess much with the bevel angle and allows you to hit the apex a bit easier. Magic marker (a color other than black) can give you a great visual as you progress.

Enjoy the blade!
    Tom