Weck Hair Shaper, Sextoblades, and other Blades

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Nov 7, 2020.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was wondering if any of you guys use Weck Hair Shapers, and Sextoblades??
    I obtained several NOS packets of these, a while back. I opened a box, and looked at one, it seemed like it was straight from the factory, and perfect shape. Sharp as hell. I will get a picture of they later today.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Billyfergie and Edison Carter like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pics?

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Take a good look at the edge with a 10x loupe before using. Or just use modern Personna Hair Shaper blades.

A lot of the old blades that look "new" are covered in a very fine (microscopic) layer of rust. I would recommend a pass or two over a hone and a strop to be safe before using if you don't have a loupe to inspect the edge.

4. DaltonGang

Here they are. I unwrapped one.

PB071452.JPG

rs_776, PLANofMAN and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  6. DaltonGang

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The comb is detachable. I never used it when I prepped patients, and I don't use it when I shave. It is the only Weck I have, but they made many with scales, too. The modern Personna blades should work on them too. Not my photo.
    [​IMG]

Billyfergie, ischiapp and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Reading the instructions included with the blades, it says to strop these, like a straight razor. Do you do this ???

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You can. And should, with vintage blades.

It's unnecessary, and possibly counterproductive to do so with the modern personna stainless hair shaper blades.

Dave in KY and DaltonGang like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have never stropped a blade, but mine are modern stainless steel blades.

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I have several Weck razors. I use modern Personna or Fromme blades.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DaltonGang likes this.
  12. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Wecks are great razors. I prefer the German Kismet blades. The Personnas are just dangerously sharp. If they were my only choice, I would probably cork them.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Got the shavette bug not long ago starting with half DE and pretty much having picked up/tried all the blade format variants: Half DE, DE, Injector, Artist club, Half Cabinet Blade (Tondeo) and Hair Shaper. The hair shaper blade format is one of my favorite and now onto trying the various offerings in the format, similar to the GEM format, not a lot of offerings out there: Fromm/Diane, Personna and various Private Labels made by them, Kismet, Annie, Vincent, Bevel...(okay maybe there are more than GEM offerings, but I suspect are few are private label of others, will see when they all arrive. On the Weck front though, I started with the Fromm/Dianne and Personna hair shapers and lucked upon an unused WECK orderly from 1962, definitely has the size and weight I wanted. Also have the Vincent Metal and Kismet coming but suspect those both will be lighter, smaller form factors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DaltonGang

I had my first shave with a NOS Sextoblade . I stropped it, and it was plenty sharp, but lost its edge quickly. I had to strop it several times to get through the shave. I will probably get some modern blades and give it another try.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I'm early in gathering and testing offerings. I've gotten at least 4 shaves out of the personna, others have gotten more. Speaking of others, the Japanese blades and Kismets seem to be liked more/better than the personna, will have them and test soon enough. SE blades are the only blades I use more than once, I don't strop them though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I had never used the comb with my Weck, so I decided to give it a try. It made shaving a breeze. I got a great shave. I did flip the comb around when I changed hands.
    [​IMG]

Nicked, DaltonGang, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  17. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I've got several Weck razors and will get pics up by tomorrow. It's pretty much been covered already. Vintage blades = not real good. I use modern Personna or Fromme blades and generally don't use the guard as it's a pain to keep flipping it and can be done without it.

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. Dave in KY

So now that I pulled them out and saw what I had, I have WAAAY too many. Thanks a lot guys !! All are Wecks but the little one at the top is I'm sure a Weck corn razor but I'd shave with it if I could find a blade that fits. Under that is a mini version Weck (I forget the name they gave it) that takes the standard blade size and the one I had re-scaled to match a brush I no longer have. The others are all the medical chrome ones. Tried some of the vintage blades and they are a "no go" Personna is what I use although I have some Fromm I just haven't tried yet.
    IMG_20201215_061427219.jpg IMG_20201215_061441800.jpg

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Dave in KY likes this.
  20. Dave in KY

Clouds and DaltonGang like this.