Gillette Aristocrat buying guidance and advice for a new DE razor user.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CarlosStuff, Nov 9, 2020.

1. CarlosStuff

CarlosStuff Member

Hi all,

I've come across a 1940s Gillette Aristocrat razor, seller asking around 50 bucks, and since I have no experience buying DE razors, this potentially being my first, I was hoping to get some advice and guidance on what to ask for and be aware.

The seller doesn't give a lot of info about the razor, but from what i have found in this forum, seems to be a 1940 ish Gillete Aristrocat.

[ 2222222.JPG 21312213.JPG qw2w2we.JPG 12121JPG.JPG 11,jpg.JPG 1,jpg.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have little to non-experience using DE razors, so any advice is welcome.

Also, as a new DE user, Do you recommend me to better buy a new one like a Edwin Jagger De89lbl?

Thank you all and have a great day!.

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you are just starting out and looking for a comfortable shave, that will work. Any number of other razors, including the EJ, will also work.

Find one that you like and spend the time needed to learn to use it. Don't get caught up in chasing down the perfect razor as it doesn't exist.

Tastes change as skill level and experience change.

I cannot help with price as I haven't kept up on that stuff for a number of years.

Good luck and enjoy.

Ron R, MrEE, Jesseix and 4 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

the aristocrat razor shown in the pics looks to be in good shape and is a good price.it is a mild to moderate shaver that will deliver great results once you learn how to use it -correct angle,little to no pressure.new or vintage is up to you.a properly sanitized/cleaned vintage razor will deliver as a great a shave as a new one if it is in good working order.things to watch for if you buy it-smooth twist knob operation when opening and closing,doors opening and closing evenly and equal blade gap/alignment from side to side.i have and use several vintage gillettes and enjoy the history behind them.on the new razor ,the edwin jagger is a fine razor to learn with and has the added bonus of no mechanical issues when purchased new.hope this helps..

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Those Aristocrats are great shavers, some of my favorites.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The 40's and 50's aristocrats are fairly common razors, slightly more aggressive than the same era super speed razors. I wouldn't pay more than $30-$35 for one unless it was in excellent condition, with a case in excellent condition as well.

That one is user grade or slightly better and the case is fairly worn. I wouldn't pay $50 for it. It's worth about $40, imo.

That being said, vintage razor prices tend to jump up around November, due to Christmas shopping, so it's a fair price for this time of year.

6. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

+1 what @PLANofMAN said. I have and love my 40’s era Aristocrat. It delivers a consistently excellent shave every time I use it.

PLANofMAN, CarlosStuff and brit like this.
  7. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

That Aristocrat I can tell you was made between 1946-July 1947. It’s a little more scarce than the ones without the tabs on the sides of the t bar. I’d say $50 with the case during holiday time is rather reasonable.

PLANofMAN, CarlosStuff and brit like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have a 46 - 48 Aristocrat. They are very good razors in my opinion. I've owned a lot of American Aristocrats and the 46 -48 I think is one of the best of the American made versions. The asking price is not out of line either since it has the case. You can find them cheaper usually without the case but they do also go for more depending. A lot of times they look worse in the listing than they actually are once in person and after a good soaking in hot soapy water and a toothbrush scrub to remove the crud and soap scum on them.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have to slightly amend that since it is hard to tell from the picture, there is an outside possibility that razor is a 46 not 46 - 48 Aristcrat. The razor tray where you load the blade will say pat nos on package if it is a 46 - 48 if it has nothing stamped there then it is a 46. If it is a 46 then it should be worth more than a 46 - 48 and definitely worth it for the asking price. Bottom line you should be able to get out of it what you got in it at that price and more if you don't like it and should be able to sell it quickly. If you want to gamble without verifying with the seller I don't think you'll get beat either way for the asking price.

See my above post for more detailed info.

11. CarlosStuff

CarlosStuff Member

tldr: I have pulled the trigger, i hope to have my razor at my door before Thursday.

Thank you all for the good advices. It really help me a lot. Sorry if i didn't reply before it has been a very difficult week in my workplace but i saw all the advice you gave me.

I asked for another pic, from the top, and well seems to be in a good shape ( in my eyes) . He also uploaded a video to the marketplace where I'm buying but i was not able to download the video, from what i heard and saw the mechanism seems to be working fine and smooth.

anotheronetopJPG.JPG

12. CarlosStuff

CarlosStuff Member

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  13. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Enjoy. That is one fine Gillette and excellent shaver!

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  14. CarlosStuff

CarlosStuff Member

Thanks!. I can't wait to have my first DE, i have been jumping between a lot of disposable razors, and they all suck...for me and my face, i hate the feeling that i get when i shave with those, in fact i don't like to shave for that reason but i really like how my face looks and feels without beard, my facial hair is very curly and dense (?) , the disposables don't hold up more than 2 shaves, very bad shaves, with burn feeling all over my face.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Leo K. like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

congrats and enjoy.IF it shows any issues there are many options to deal with it.looking forward to pics..:)..as stated above there are a few out there,and are an iconic, popular, well loved vintage razor..

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Couple of things, first off get a styptic pencil, you will knick and cut yourself with a DE initially so have one on hand to deal with the weepers and such. It is a price of an education so don't be discouraged if your first few shaves are a bit rough. There is a bit of a learning curve to the angle and pressure, usually the first inclination is the press the razor into the face which is what you don't want to do. Start shallow i.e. blade almost parallel to the face and slowly angle in until you can feel the blade and then with practice you'll figure out the correct pressure to apply just try not to be heavy handed. The blades may also feel much sharper and harsher initially so unless it is a bad blade that is something you'll acclimate to over time and they will be less so as your skin and receptors get used to the feel of the blade edge. As far a razor burn which you can also get with a DE razor try keeping away from alcohol based aftershaves if you can. Use vinegar instead. I've been doing this for years with apple cider vinegar. It is much better for the skin and removes razor burn the same way as sunburn. Apply a few drops in one palm, rub them together pat over the shaved area then rub in and let it air dry. It will burn initially but it will feel like you didn't shave about a half hour later. The vinegar is also good for oily skin and helps the skin keep it's natural pH which is on the acidic side. When you shave you completely destroy that barrier and using the vinegar helps to restore that barrier while also being one.

17. CarlosStuff

CarlosStuff Member

Thanks!. I certainly wasn't looking for a vintage DE for my first, but after 1 week reading this forum i concluded that there is no "big" difference between a modern or vintage razor. Also i remember when i was a child my father was using a gold razor every morning and a lemon scent coming out from the bathroom, sadly he is no longer with us, but from what my mother told me it seems it was a Gillette adjustable, maybe this one ss.JPG , but i can't remember if that was the box. Sadly was stolen before I could even think about shaving, and he didn't have time to teach me, he changed to disposable after the Gillette was lost.

@BBS
    First time reading about the Vinegar, going to try that in my first shave. Again, thanks a lot! , this community is very welcoming.

For my first shave "kit" Im going to get some Dorco Prime blades, a Prorasso Brush ( it is a few $$$ cheaper than other omega brushes) , Arko Soap ( i love lemon cents like Lysol, dont ask) , After shave cream (but after reading about the vinegar maybe i try that method first) .

Q?: Pre shaves cream/oil work? Or a hot shower have the same effects.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    PLANofMAN, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

19. brit

brit in a box

i am sorry to hear.based on your pic there are 2 gold adjustables it could be.the fatboy/executive or the slim aristocrat jr picture..cases may vary but you could find them down the road to replicate your dad's shave..
    1960 F1 Executive.jpg
    1967 Aristocrat M2.jpg

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Could have also been a Toggle razor.

brit likes this.