Let's try to fix this new soap...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Purchased a new tub of Barrister and Mann Bay Rum and immediately noticed the scent was "off". More than just weak, it simply didn't smell like Bay Rum, especially not like my old tub did. After a few email conversations with Will at B&M, he admitted that the pimenta racemosa he is receiving is, in his words: "rough". My word would be "bad". So yesterday, I made an attempt to salvage this soap, before committing it to the waste bin.
    Here we go.
    Took the soap and grated it into a bowl. Note: This soap is quite soft.
    IMG_6217.jpg
    Boiled some water and added a couple of healthy doses of Meehan Bay Rhum, the strongest Bay Rum juice I own.
    IMG_6218.jpg
    Mixed the soap with the Bay Rhum/Water mixture.
    IMG_6219.jpg
    Loaded the mixture back in the tub and I will let it "cure" for a week or so to firm up again.
    I'll report back with my thoughts soon.

2. brit

brit in a box

very cool Joseph..following along..i have a soap or two i would like to "enhance":)

Primotenore, jtspartan and Hembree like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

This is interesting Joseph......anxiously awaiting the results.

Primotenore and jtspartan like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see the results.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I had to fix my Piacenza soap because the scent disappeared. I added a small amount of the matching aftershave and it was fine. It wasn't the same as when I first opened the puck, but at least the soap had a scent. Your method is more involved and I am curious as to final product. Hope it works for you Maestro.

On another matter, it was nice that the owner of B&M owned up that he used a bad quality of pimenta racemosa. However, if he knew it was bad, then he should have never made the Bay Rum. He should have said on their website that they are discontinuing the Bay Rum until we get a good quality and quantity of the pigmenta racemosa. Unfortunately, they decided to go forward in making money on a bad batch, but I feel that their reputation has been stained by this incident.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Hembree, gwsmallwood and Primotenore like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I tried to scent some Williams like this. Did not work for me. Maybe I did not use enough AS in it. Looking forward to how it works for you.

Hembree, Trigger and Primotenore like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Yes, and no. It took three emails back and forth before he fessed up. While always polite, at first he insisted that the new batch was "25% stronger" than the older version. When I disputed that, he then admitted to using an inferior product. True Bay Rum soaps, which contain quality pimenta racemosa, are going to be a valuable commodity for the foreseeable future.

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Performed a test lather last evening. The soap has already firmed up enough to allow loading directly from the puck. The Meehan Bay Rhum scent is readily detectable and overall, I would call this project a success. I imagine I could have not used the H2O, but my thinking is it allowed for better dispersion (is that correct my science teachers, out there?) of the aftershave throughout the soap.

Hembree, Droo78, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  9. Trigger

Adding the water diluted the aftershave and it really didn't have an appreciable effect on changing the dispersion rate. I would have just added the aftershave at full strength.

Hembree, Droo78 and Primotenore like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

On the other hand, adding water to the soap may have allowed the soap to emulsify the oils that produce scent. If so, it would indeed help to disperse it throughout the soap.

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Did you report that to Doc Ezlovan?(The Piacenza).

Hembree likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    :happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093::happy093:
    What she said!
    Booyakasha.

13. Trigger

No, I didn't. The same thing happened with the Coconut and Lime. One of two things may have caused the problem. First, I may have not thoroughly cleaned and rinsed the brush out over using different scented soaps that it ruined those scents. I highly doubt this scenario because I clean, rinse and dry my brushes real well. Second, I bloom my soaps and maybe I didn't let them dry out completely that would destroy the scent. Again, I highly doubt it because I leave the puck open and turn it upside for 24 hrs.

Finally, I probably had a bad batch. for both soaps. This is the more likely scenario. I am still a fanboy, but these experiences left me a little disappointed.

Hembree and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Trigger

That is true, but you need to agitate it to form the emulsion and Joseph didn't do so.

Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    I did, however, vigorously "mix".
    :signs011:

Hembree and Trigger like this.
  16. Trigger

:happy088:

Primotenore and Hembree like this.