Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Nov23, 2020

Razor: Everready British 1912- Mfg 1936-65, excellent mid range and it delivered a beautiful shave this morning.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity & smooths out nicely when used + predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender[​IMG]- excellent lather qualities with a masculine scent.(might be discontinued?)
    Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24 mm synthetic- excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Everready British 1912 with a coated Gem blade.
    MMMonday, Nov 23rd 2020.jpg
    Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Sat, Nov28th, 2020

Razor: Everready Streamline 2nd Generation: Mfg 1949-53 one of the better looking ASR razors and built to last, Mid range(upper?)
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely and predictable.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood- Very nice Bayrum clove scent that lasts with the sandal wood compliments the clean scent.
    Brush: Yaqi artic sky 24mm knot, excellent synthetic to create some fine lather, cloud like soft whiskers, good gentle scrubber also.
    Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood aftershave[​IMG] + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]excellent shave with my ER streamline 2nd Generation razor + Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

3. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Nice setup Ron. Beautiful razor too.

Ron R likes this.
  4. GAW9576

Had an excellent shave this morning with the Gem Junior Parade with a 5th flip Gem SS PTFE. And nearly finished off this tub of Mer Shavings Fougere Orange soap. Love that soap, luckily I have another tub.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If I remember you always like the looks of the Everready Streamline(so do I). Today it performed well for myself. I like to use a shim (de-splined blade Aluminum) to raise the blade up because it tames the shave a little IMO & seems to give me a nicer milder shave . The old blades had thicker splines in the 1930's when the Streamline Generation 1 was conceived.

Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Nov30th,2020

Razor: Gem Flyingwing, MMFW, MMBT, Guiding eye......Mfg-1947-50, Mildest & heaviest of the Micromatics, Mid range, Excellent daily driver.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Proraso green, nice soap for a change, mild eucalyptus scent, menthol with good protection.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- I have been using this one for the last 3.5 years and it is a good brush, soft tips, good scrub IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of Proraso balm(eucalyptus).
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with MMFW with a Gem SS PTFE Blade.
    [​IMG]

7. GAW9576

Yes I'm very much enamored with the aesthetics of the Streamline. I've also heard about them being quite efficient/aggressive. I hope to get one some day. I did just score 3 Schick C1s 2 good and 1 parts razors. I was looking for one for a while. The Streamline seems to be hard to come by in the U.S. at least for anything that resembles a reasonable price.

Ron R and Droo78 like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I bought mine on EBay UK, it's a user grade but it is eye candy no doubt. You do not see many over in North America so went right to the source where they were made and had a little more luck.

GAW9576 and Droo78 like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Thur, Dec3rd 2020 -Star bar#4 a razor from the ASR family of shaving companys.

Razor: Star Bar #4 lather catcher(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn Ny)- Mfg- 1920, excellent lather catcher, Excellent daily driver, mid range< , One of the best razors of all my razors vintage & modern. Star brand=Kampfe brothers first safety razor Mfg in USA.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade, very sharp with great longevity and predictable & smooths out nicely.
    Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea- nice scent and excellent lather qualities when loaded properly.
    Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm- 1st use. Excellent knot for myself, gentle scrub with heavenly cloud like soft tips. It is a nice brush for a daily shaver like myself IMO.
    Pre Shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my 1920 Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  10. GAW9576

Very nice shave gear and picture @Ron R. Love that razor.

Ron R likes this.
  11. GAW9576

Today's choice was the Red handled Treet. Love the handle but the shave quality isn't on par with its Gem and Ever-Ready counterparts. Still an interesting razor to have in the collection.

IMG_20201206_102542644.jpg

jimjo1031, brit and Ron R like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You do not see to many Treet razors in that good a shape, have a great day. Thanks for sharing!

GAW9576 likes this.
  13. GAW9576

You got that right. The Treet is less common to start with and they must have used cheaper metal to make them because they certainly don't seem to hold up like there cousins. I was lucky to find this one in a lot with a few other razors I liked for a good price. The Red Bakelite handle is what I was really after and I wanted to get a Treet also, so it was a great find.

Ron R likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very similar to a MMCP safety bar design so might be a joy to use with that tapered Baton handle.

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Dec7th, 2020

Razor: MicroMatic Clog Pruf (Peerless model 17 nib S.B)-Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, nice shave as usual with the MicroMatics.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity+ smooths out nicely as used over time, Predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside- mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow with brown whiskers 26mm- excellent lather creator, has nice backbone for scrub + cloud like soft tips.
    Pre shave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my MMCP with a coated gem blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  16. GAW9576

I only wish it shaved as good as it looks. I actually ended up switching the blade into an ER 1924 to finish the shave. I thought the blade had gone bad prematurely but it shaved fantastic once it was in the 1924.
    I'll keep giving the Treet a chance once in a while though.

Ron R likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Wed, Dec 09th 2020

Razor: Gem Micromatic open comb- MFG 1930 -41, Excellent mid range, if you can not get a close shave technique needs improvement.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) Excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity and smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Colonel Conk Bayrum, mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Great soap & a Bargain IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24 mm with black marble handle, excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips with some backbone.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & Sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my MMOC and coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. GAW9576

19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD Fri, Dec 11th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior Bar- Mfg 1907-11, Excellent mid range< and just a joy to use with a new Gem Coated blade. Good Daily driver.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Tabac , triple milled, mild scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft,great brush, soft tips and good back bone. Reminds me of my Omega boar brush.Nice change up.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe cleanser bar + a Dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm on beard area mostly.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]Excellent shave with my GEM Jr Bar with a Gem Coated blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 and GAW9576 like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday Dec 14th 2020

Razor: Gem featherweight 1st generation 1950-52, 2nd gen 1953-54- Excellent daily driver, easy mid<range razor to manipulate around the face. Very easy going shave.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore- nice mild scent of vanilla + light scent of green tobaco + excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi evil Zebra handle knot 26mm- very nice lather creator, gentle scrub, heavenly soft tips & a pleasure to use.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel + a dollop of AVON True gent balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Featherweight & Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 and jimjo1031 like this.