Do different straight razors shave differently

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bob1234, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Bob1234

Bob1234 New Member

Hi all,

Quick question being new to straight razors. Do different vintage SR's shave differently and hold their edge longer? There are so many brands made over the decades and you see some brands like Dubl Duck and Puma selling much higher than other brands. Is this due to rarity of the razors or do they actually shave more smoothly and hold their edge longer? Seems like a well-honed vintage straight would shave the same as another brand, but I am interested in your guy's opinions.

2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The short answer is, “yes.” The slightly longer answer is everyone has their own preferences on type and origin of steel, grind, blade width, shape, etc. That’s what keeps it interesting... and why it’s so easy to end up with so many razors :rofl:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Easiest way to narrow them down is to see what others here are using, and stick with those.
    Rule of thumb, good Sheffield England, or Solingen Germany made razors are usually high quality steel. Just make sure it isnt worn out.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I have seven straights and each one is a bit different. Not only are edges different, but I prefer rounded edges over French tips.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  5. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Agreed the short answer is yes. And sheffield and Solingen are good steels. I recommend staying away from japanese razors as once you use one you will want every one you can get your hands on and wont want anything else. The problem with that is japanese razors are a lot more than solingen and Sheffield. I made the mistake of getting one and now well let's put it this way I could put a down payment on a car with the money spent on japanese razor .

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

As long as the steel is depends upon the honing and your preferences. Some razors do hold edges longer than other and some do take sharper edges than others. I am a fan of modern artisan razors and Japanese razors. The feeling can be difference based on the size and grind of the blade, also if it has a smile. The biggest factor to how a razor shaves is how well was it honed and proper stropping.

7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    One of my favorite sayings about SRs

"One of the biggest advantages of SRs is that they can be almost infinitely adjustable to your face, Steel, Grind, Style, Hones, Strops, and a few things I am forgetting...
    One of the biggest disadvantages of using a SR is that they are almost infinitely adjustable to your face :D so many choices can be overwhelming"

~gssixgun ca2009

Enjoy the ride

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Do different vintage SR's shave differently and hold their edge longer? Sometimes. The steel has changed over the years. So has the processing methods. Thiers Issard, for example, is the only company that still quenches their razors in molten lead. Most modern razors are hollow ground, and the further back in time you go, the more wedge blades you'll find. That difference alone is huge.

Is this due to rarity of the razors or do they actually shave more smoothly and hold their edge longer? Chalk this one up to social notoriety. Wade & Butcher, dubl duck, etc. are good razors, but no better than any others. Dubl duck in particular is a good example of a decent razor that is far more desirable than it ought to be. It was sold mostly as a barber's razor, not a high end razor for personal use.

In general, if a vintage razor is made in Solingin, Sheffield, France, Russia, or the U.S.A., it will be made from good steel. The European nations had the benefit of excellent swiss steel, and the Americans either imported from Sheffield or Solingin, or used American steel, which used the newest and most advanced forging techniques. Older razors are often made from cast steel, and newer ones are hammer forged, etc.
    Japan...special case. Long tradition of handmade swords, techniques leaned there transferred to razor making, with the same mindset of individuality and perfection. In other words, a crude chunk of steel that's sharp on one end. :p

"Seems like a well-honed vintage straight would shave the same as another brand..." Yep. But a NOS vintage razor will take much less work to get it shave ready than a modern Dovo, or other mass produced straight razor. The skill of properly sharpening straight razors has been lost in the wider commercial production world. It has only been preserved in communities like these forums.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  9. DaltonGang

One more thing. Japanese razors have been brought up. Now, from what I understand, the Japanese imported almost all their steel, except for a few. The steel they used for their razors are usually what is known as Swedish Silver Steel. The Japanese blade smiths were craftsmen, who took pride in their work, or did their work to perfection, or else. You will rarely ever find a poorly made Japanese razor. If you can get one NOS, do it. They are worth the money.
    But, just like other razors, get one in good condition.

10. Bob1234

Bob1234 New Member

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses. I learned a lot from all of your expertise!

Just shaved with a straight edge and it was a lot of fun. Went very, very slow and followed the advice of some of the forum suggestions. Easy to see why it's a fascinating hobby for many because there are so many variables involved. For some it would be overwhelming, but that is what makes it interesting.

Thanks again for everyone's response.

Bob

11. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Reading your post,
    I get the impression that you just had a run-in with a Swede from Eskilstuna ;)

12. Bob1234

Bob1234 New Member

Planofman,

No, I do not know who the gentleman you mentioned above is. Just a question about razors. There are so many different brands. Thanks for the response and info.

Bob

13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Japanese also used iron oxide from a river in Japan to make swords with some for straight razors. The steel is Tamahagane and is made in a clay kiln. They work the ore for three days to get a chunk to make the swords or straight razors. I have a few.

14. DaltonGang

I have not gotten my hands on a Tamahagane razor yet. They are usually pretty pricy, and limited in number.
    Do you have some.pics to share??

15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

+1

It's several years I stopped buying SR.
    Sometime, I do loan / exchange with friends to try new ones.
    IMHO, very few artisans do better blades than good vintage ones.
    I've always found best value in vintage blades.
    I love "Silver Steel", specially Kayser Ellison and Bohler.
    Some great Swedish blade, as from Eskilstuna.
    And a couple of master pieces by Tanifuji Fukutaro.
    In Italy, France and Germany, nice blades too.

My fav is a mixed culture, the folding kamisori.
    Light, precise, easy to use.

Tanifuji Fukutaro “Kintaka”
    Carbon Japan Steel
    20x55mm (-13/16")
    Spine 5mm, 50g

[​IMG]

16. lindyhopper66

DaltonGang, here are the three Tamahagane steel razors I own.

Tamako YSK
    DSC09648.jpeg

Houken 166
    DSC09650.jpeg

Iwasaki shorty
    DSC09653.jpeg

lottenhem, Keithmax, Dr. Matt and 4 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  18. Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt New Member

How is the grind on that shorty Iwasaki?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

The grind is just a "straightforward" hollow grind. There is something about this particular Iwasaki though, that makes it feel sharper somehow than any other of my razors.

20. DaltonGang

2 posts in almost 5 years?? You arent very chatty, are you?
    Please share some of your experience with your Straight Razors, and the Razors too, if you dont mind. The more, the merrier.