do any of you have or use any de blade sharpeners or stroppers?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by saj1985, Dec 4, 2020.

1. saj1985

saj1985 New Member

hey peeps, i'm just wondering do any of you have or use any de blade sharpeners or stroppers?
    if so, which one? do you go through many blades at all and how often do you find that you need to sharpen and strop the de blade?

i've got this one dubeledge stropper on ebay which was advertised as built in 1918 which im lead to believe,
    i've cleaned it up a bit with a toothbrush and looking at tips on youtube to conditon the leather strops i used my beard balm,
    because what the diy homemade leather condtioner tutorials on youtube recommended was beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil or some sort of oil which i already had in my homemade diy beard balm, so at least that worked out lol

[​IMG]

2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I recall folks who ‘palm strop’ every shave.

Many blades have resinous coatings that aid in comfort that can be wiped off. Gillette Silver Blue (one of my favs) specifically instruct to not wipe them.

That is a cool gizmo you have. For leather conditioning, saddle soap or neatsfoot oil are great. You won’t need much. I bought a 4 oz. jar of Stromm 1907 strop dressing for straight razor strops, I’ll never use it all.

Please let us know how you progress.

Primotenore and saj1985 like this.
  3. saj1985

saj1985 New Member

yea well i got a pocket microscope today which i havent unboxed yet but im hoping to take a pic of a razor after use and then strop it and put it under the microscope to see if its made any real visual difference

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would recommend Dr. Martens wonder balsam. It's made from coconut oil, lanolin, and beeswax, all of which are great for reviving and preserving leather.

saj1985 likes this.
  5. saj1985

saj1985 New Member

thanks ill google it

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have a few stroppers and did some experimenting when I first got them using modern DE blades.
    Depending on the blade it either did nothing or removed the top coating and shortened the blade life.
    I never tried it with any of the older thicker blades.
    Be sure to let us know what happens.

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know if sharpeners or stroppers do much if any good with stainless steel blades. The carbon steel blades which is what was primarly used when that equipment was made it should help as long as they already have a good sharp edge on them.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I didn't realize it but they do make straights with stainless steel so it would depend the type of edge on the blade and if it was coated or not. My experience with coated blades and stropping or palm stropping is it ruins the edge and doesn't help with extended use. On those using a palm strop to remove the excess coating before first use is the extent of it's usefullness.