Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thank you. Next time I'm at Woodcraft I'll have to see if they have any or know anything about it.

jtspartan likes this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks for this. Is you are always holding from the bottom, are you using a medallion or another plug method to cover it up?

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. jtspartan

Something a little different, and frankly not a lot of turning in it. I made a razor stand, with turned posts and buttons on top. It is an illusion, they are not one piece.wood is Ebony and Australian Ironwood. Pic is before the polymerized Tung Oil finish. Had a little glue seepage on the left post.p to tidy up:

76475FB6-9F84-424D-B46B-93D0327D1A7E.jpeg
    The ebony darkened up nicely with finish. I thought the Ironwood would match the display rack nicely. I am pleased with how it turned out:
    6E48B791-AA4F-45FA-939B-01B046138E09.jpeg

GAW9576, 9nein9, ischiapp and 3 others like this.
  4. Scott Strangfeld

Scott Strangfeld Well-Known Member

No, I part it off then hand sand the nub off and hand polish

GAW9576 and jtspartan like this.
  5. jtspartan

Might I recommend a Beall expanding collett chuck? Inexpensive and holds the top nicely while you finish the bottom on the lathe.

GAW9576 likes this.
  6. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

W.O.W......just.simply.awesome. Great craftsmanship on everything, and incredible collection display Jason! :happy096:

7. Scott Strangfeld

I will definitely look into that. What kind of expansion range do they have?

8. jtspartan

Not a lot. Very size specific. The 1 inch will expand to hold a one inch hole tightly, etc. I have the 1 inch and the 1 1/8 inch. I’ve leaned to using 24 or 28mm knot often as a result.

GAW9576 likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome Jason,nice work..:cool:

jtspartan and GAW9576 like this.
  10. GAW9576

Fantastic work. And that is a beautiful display rack full of beautiful brushes and razors too.

jtspartan and brit like this.
  11. Scott Strangfeld

Not a brush but I turned this Mach 3 handle for my dad for Christmas. I cast the blank which is a cherry burl hybrid.
    PXL_20201221_020029481_2.jpg

Enrico, DaltonGang, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:cool:.nice work..

GAW9576 and Hembree like this.
  13. GAW9576

Very well done. I've turned a few of them for a friend. Your finish work looks fantastic.

14. Scott Strangfeld

Thank you

Thank you. I recently switched to using a finishing paste and it has certainly helped improve my finish process.

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  15. GAW9576

Is it a sanding paste or a paste type finish coat?

16. Scott Strangfeld

Think buffing compound. What I use is called Yorkshire Grit. It comes in two grits. Some just use the coarser but I use both before and after a CA finish. I don't wet sand anything anymore.

17. GAW9576

Very cool. I've considered trying something like that. Kim Tippin on YouTube has a video on how to make your own. She says it works great and costs MUCH less than store bought products.
    When using it before CA finish does it leave a residue that needs to be cleaned off before CA is applied? If so what is your method?

jtspartan likes this.
  18. Scott Strangfeld

There typically is a little residual paste left but I just wipe what ever I am turning down good with a paper towel before I apply my CA. The stuff I got is a little pricey but for how little you use at a time it will last a really long time so it is a little easier to justify the cost.

I just took a look at Kim's video. I may have to give that a try once the stuff I have now is gone or maybe try a small batch for my son to use so he stays out of mine haha.

I have dabbled with so much DIY and low cost stuff in my shop over the years. Sometimes after it all I wonder if my time would have been much better spent just buying what is available and making chips with the time and headache saved.

19. GAW9576

I get that. Sometimes I wish I wasn't handy enough to fix some stuff around the house. Some of the projects end up being a major pain. Partly because I have tools that with effort can get the job done but are not ideal for the job. Partly because I'm learning as I go, which often means making and correcting mistakes. And partly because our house is 120 years old and has never been fully renovated so there are lots of Odd problems to overcome. Many times I believe it would be much easier to build a house from the ground up than to completely renovate this one.

MrEE, Enrico, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  20. jtspartan

I find myself nodding along to this...our house is 114 years old and I have tried to do most everything myself as well.

DaltonGang, MrEE, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.