Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem Flying Wing (Bullet Tip) Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Surrey Boar Shave Brush
    Proraso/Love My Skin Spearmint Soap
    Seabreeze Astringent
    Aqua Velva After Shave

Untitled.jpg

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  2. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Nice shaves @Ron R and @jimo1031. Thanks for joining in.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. GAW9576

I had a quick but wonderful 1 pass cleanup with the Gem Junior Bar. This is a truly superb razor. I also broke open a new tub of Mer Shavings Orange Fougere donkey's milk soap. This soap has an intoxicating aroma. I will have to use this sparingly enough to make it last a long time. I believe he isn't going to make this one anymore.
    Luckily he makes plenty of other wonderful soaps.

IMG_20201214_145257682.jpg

Another interest of mine aside from amazing vintage razors is watches. This is on Vostock Amphibia got a friend of mine help me modify. We put new hands and a new dial on it. I also got a different bezel for it which was chrome-plated brass. I sanded off all the chrome plating to reveal the brass. The metal band was also switched out for sailcloth strap.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Ron R, jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Dec 21st 2020- Today using one of the Micromatic family of razors- ASR Everready 1914, mid range excellent razor.

Razor: Everready 1914 (AKA little lather catcher), 1st generation blade stops. MFG 1914-17, mid range, excellent razor with great audio feedback.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) excellent blade, Very sharp with great longevity and smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Nivea sensitive skin cream, great shave cream, very nice scent, with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Yuxedo knot 24mm with black marble handle[​IMG]. Excellent lather creator + cloud like soft tips, nice scrubber with some back bone.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Nivea refreshing aftershave + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER 1914 + Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

5. GAW9576

Nice shave @Ron R. I didn't get a shave in today. I try not to miss Mondays to often.

Ron R likes this.
  6. GAW9576

Here's my marvelous Micromatic Monday make-up shave. It went very well.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Dec 28th, 2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar- Mfg 1907-11, excellent daily driver, lower mid range, feels nice in the hand, its a passage of time to enjoy.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Speick, excellent soap, mild spicy scent with excellent soap qualities.
    Brush: Razorock noir 400 plissoft, excellent lather creator soft tips with the scrub of a boar brush IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor(creed Adventus version) with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG] excellent shave with my 1907ish Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

8. GAW9576

I had an excellent New Years Eve shave today with the Gem MMOC and a 3 rd use Gem SS PTFE.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

9. GAW9576

This was my first shave of the new year. I went with the Gem Bullet tip with guiding eye. I don't use this razor often because it's a milder razor. But with a little extra work it delivers a great shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

jimjo1031, Droo78, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Jan4th 2021- Good morning A.S.R affectionados

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf(Peerless model 17 nib SafetyBar)- MFG 1945
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) Excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender [​IMG] - excellent scent and excellent lather qualities, on 2nd tub.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- this is my oldest most used at one time synthetic brush(old faithful) soft tips with a good scrub.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf Peerless model and a coated Gem blade.( does not get a whole lot better).
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78 and brit like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD , Fri, Jan 08th 2021

Razor: Everready British streamline 2nd generation model-Mfg 1949-53 Excellent upper mid range razor, beautiful razor & well made.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(8) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely with great longevity, also predictable IMO.
    Soap: Razorock Santal Marie del Fiore- nice scent with excellent lather qualities, good post shave feel today.
    Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 24 mm knot, "Sagrada Familia" excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips and a nice scrub if wanted.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER Streamline with a coated Gem blade.
    (it does not get much better)
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78, brit and 1 other person like this.
  12. GAW9576

Always love seeing that razor @Ron R.

I had a fantastic shave with 2 new to me razors yesterday but was having internet issues so I didn't get around to posting it till now.
    I used a 5th use Gem SS PTFE in both razors.
    Razor #1 Gem Damaskeen OC. WOW this razor is wonderful. Very Efficient and still very smooth. Several days growth were knocked down to SAS on the first pass were I used the OC Dammy. I did another pass and a half to get a very close shave.
    Razor #2 was used a little here and there to try it out and it did not disappoint. I'll have to do a full shave with it soon. On initial use it seems very efficient and smooth but not quite as efficient as the OC Dammy.
    I did get a little irritation on the sides of my Adams apple were the skin was already not exactly happy. However for me that has been par for the with any razor I've used when going for a very close shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Your Gem Damaskeene OC looks like in good condition, I think your will enjoy it like I do.

GAW9576 likes this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Jan 11th 2021. Another great razor from American Safety Razor Corp family of shaving products.

Razor: Gem Open Comb 1912- MFG 1912-15- excellent razor and this is the razor that really propelled the company into a legendry umbrella of shaving company's IMO, it is not a aggressive OC razor but in the mid range but more on the smooth side IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (9) excellent blade, very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- what a nice citrus scent, excellent lather qualities. It will cheer up a person when it is -20C outside IMO .
    Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot- excellent lather creator, heavenly cloud like soft tips with some backbone for folks who like a gentle scrub IMO.
    Pre shave: wash whole face with Razorock XXX hand cube soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera Gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem OC 1912 + Gem Coated SS blade.
    [​IMG]

15. GAW9576

Thank you @Ron R I definitely enjoyed the first shave with it. I found it very efficient yet quite smooth. I look forward to more shaves with it to truly assess its characteristics.

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Tue, Jan 12th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior Parade with the taper handle [​IMG] -MFG 1943, Excellent mid range razor, one of my favorites.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade, Very sharp, excellent longevity + smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Gillette True cream- nice fragrance with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo 24mm knot with black handle with black marble handle, excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips, good scrub & painter of lather.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Jr Parade with a Gem coated blade.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, Droo78 and GAW9576 like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Fri, Jan 15th, 2021, Star bar is part of the ASR corp, One of favorite razors to use.

Razor: Star bar lather catcher, Model 4-MFG 1919 by the Kampfe brothers Brooklyn NY, one of the best lather catchers I have used.
    Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) Excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity that smooths out nicely. Predictable.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandal wood. Very nice sandal wood scent with great lather qualities. Cream form.
    Brush : Yaqi Artic sky 24mm knot, excellent lather creator with heavenly like soft tips with back bone for a nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cols water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Proraso red with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Star bar #4 with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

brit, jimjo1031, Droo78 and 1 other person like this.
  18. GAW9576

OC Damaskeen shave for this fine Micromatic Monday / GeMonday. I took extra care in paying attention to grain direction on my trouble spots this morning. It made a bit of a difference with a very close shave with almost zero irritation.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

brit, Ron R, jimjo1031 and 1 other person like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gem G-Bar Razor
    Gem Stainless Blade
    Surrey Boar/Navy Brass Handle Brush
    Victory Shaving Lemon-Lavender-Menthol Soap
    Sea Breeze Astringent
    Murray & Lanman Florida Water

Untitled.jpg

GAW9576, brit, Droo78 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Jan18th 2021, Well did not feel like missing a MMMonday(A.S.E monday) So to have a little fun decided a Daily double, I picked my easy going 1st Generation Featherweight VS my new 2nd generation Razorock Lupo .72. I let the Gem Featherweight have the tough whisker side and the RR Lupo.72 the other side with 24 hrs growth. Both razors are easy to handle on the face and have become some of my many favorites.
    Both are different in weight by quite a bit and my skill level is good enough to handle both issues with the RR Lupo is 3 times the weight of my Gem Feather weight(1OZ). First pass very similar in beard reduction, 2nd pass of on either side very similar again and then the pickups I was pleasantly surprized a tie on closeness. So did the feel test and I had a hard time with what side won- so out came the cottonball test and it also indicated a dead tie with no snagging of cotton. The Gem Feather had the odds against it (tough beard under chin side) but also I have used that razor many more times compared to the RR Lupo .72.
    So to conclude I had a different MMMonday with a little enjoyment for this shaving enthusiast.

Razor: Gem Feather weight 1st generation- MFG 1950-52, 2nd gen 1953-54, excellent razor, fun to use with great results.
    Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo .72 - Mfg 2021, excellent built razor and a joy to use with just 3 shaves in.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharpe, great longevity and smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Blade: Gillette Astra SP (3) excellent blade Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap: Razorock XXX. very nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Red zebra handle 26 mm knot- excellent lather creator with heavenly cloud like soft tips with a bit of back bone + excellent lather painter IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups on each side of face with 2 different razors.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Feather weight + Gem coated blade.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 + a Gillette Astra SP blade.
    [​IMG]