Rex Ambassador DE razor rundown.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Sep 24, 2017.

1. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Nice review! I too have Rex Ambassador. I find it to be great shaver and its built like a tank.

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Shaved with my Rex this morning and my experience mirrored yours. Using Astra SP blades Grooming Dept Dapper Mallard soap, Grooming Dept preshave goop (really like this stuff). The Rex is A well made/engineered product. I simply love all the Grooming Dept stuff I am using. Both the razor and the soap/preshave are the real deal.

john zeiger and Str8on2 like this.
  3. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

The shave was so good that it felt kind of boring. I mean 3 full passes even though I was practically done in 2 and I had to use up more lather. Phenomenal shaver that gives exquisite results regardless if one has a days worth or a full weeks growth of whiskers. The Rex delivers consistently excellent shave results like a Timex Eco-Drive watch. Truly a wonderful creation with masterfully done components of precision. Yeah, I like it a lot. Is it the end all be all razor for everyone? Nope as there are quite a few that experienced inferior shaves compared to other razors (high end or not) in their possession. And we know of the issues from the earlier models with finish, fitment and blade alignment. It was a hit or miss beginning for the Rex. Still, for me it is as good an adjustable as anything else out there. Those quality issues have been addressed for the most part and the newer versions are rock solid in overall terms of quality and shave performance. Expensive? Oh yeah, no doubt about it. Is it worth it? For you, I don’t know but, for me totally. Great day and shaves to all...

53DC5A09-E862-4EDB-89D4-1D0341213E2B.jpeg

brit and william beer like this.
  4. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Once again, I have to agree with everything just said about this razor. Took me a little time to adjust to it and now I get great, smooth, and blood-free shaves:). The Rex is a very high quality piece worth the money.

Str8on2 likes this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I watched Matt's video on the Janus and he mentioned something I didn't know before. Apparently there were some M series Ambassadors that are more aggressive. He adjusted the head geometry based on some customer feedback, but he wasn't as happy with them, so he went back to the original head geometry. Now I'm curious how those would compare to my P2 Date code version.

Str8on2 likes this.
  6. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

That’s interesting. Didn’t know that he had made an adjustment to the Rex. The plot thickens.... :signs002:

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I was actually at RE yesterday picking up a replate. I wish I would have seen the video before going down there. I would have asked him about it. I might give him a call and see if he has any of those I could try for a video.

Str8on2 likes this.