What are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by fzrider, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

That is awesome! I would love to get my hands on an actual samurai sword, rather than the cheap replicas that have flooded the market. Although my prime interest in swords lies in European rapiers and ornate basket-hilt claymores, nobody made finer quality swords than the Japanese.

I get the impression that I may have overstated my case. While I consider this a list of my primary hobbies, the majority of them are static, or rather, dormant. I write with my best fountain pen every day, but I haven't bought one myself in a few years. Once you get a Mont Blanc, there is little reason to keep looking for more pens, at least for writing. I have no plans to thin my herd, but the reliability and purity of function from an MB makes the quirky-ness of my other vintage pens less appealing. Also, I haven't been restoring pens recently because the last two I worked on broke in my hands and I've become discouraged. Both of them were quite valuable pens of mine and it takes the wind out of your sails when you are trying to gently work parts out and you hear that snap that means it has broken right where you can't fix it. Never mind that I've successfully fixed numerous lesser pens before, when I can't maintain success where it's more important, that's when it's time to step away.
    Most of my collections are not presently growing aside from my razors.
    I guess really my list is more of my interests that I have invested some time and money in.
    Current hobbies would be:
    Shaving
    Writing with my fountain pens
    Sound engineering at my church
    Cooking
    Listening to audiobooks and conservative podcasts
    Walking about 3 niles a day

Everything else is past or sporadic, albeit some of those are still very dear to me.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not really my hobby, but what I do most ......
    Loving God
    Loving my family
    Working
    Records & vintage sound systems
    Wood working
    Antique restoration
    Restoring brushes

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. brit

brit in a box

more small photography projects..just built a cheap light box..:) used carboard,tape white paper and a Snap-On LED trouble lamp.. 20201225_142514_edited.jpg

first SOTD pic..
    20201225_141851_edited.jpg

PLANofMAN, BigMike and Enrico like this.
  4. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My only contribution to vintage sound systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit, Mr. Oldschool and Enrico like this.
  5. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As I am retired I do enjoy taking my time for a relaxing shave. Building a warm lather and taking my time.

brit and esvh like this.
  6. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another interest is refinishing rifle stocks. Some of them have some very nice walnut stocks.

PLANofMAN, 5Savages, BigMike and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Oldschool

That's gnarly! My dad collects quite a few things, most notably classic cars, but he also has several vintage jukeboxes. I think his Wulitzer is younger than yours though. It looks to be late 70's or early 80's to my eye, but yours looks early 60's to me. Beautiful!

brit likes this.
  8. Mr. Oldschool

That's amazing work! You really brought the pattern out!

9. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

It’s a 1965 model 2010. Tube type amp.

10. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    As I have mentioned previously, I like going to local auctions. I recently picked this up for $7.50. It will be used in my reloading area.

5Savages and Enrico like this.
  11. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I enjoy whip cracking recently picked up this indiana Jones Bullwhip from Victor Tella. I'm also into coffee and I mean really into coffee. Much the same way shaving becomes both better and more enjoyable using a more classic method coffee can also be transformed into an experience using manual brewers. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

brit, Enrico, Xring3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Luge, taxidermi, Tuvan throat singing, raising exotic mold cultures, and wet shaving. You know, the usual stuff.

brit, Mr. Oldschool and LevelupShaves like this.
  13. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

03A3?
    What is your process? I've done two M1 rifles and an M1 Carbine this year. The Carbine got a simple BLO finish. One rifle got tung oil, the other Flax seed oil. I'm happy with all three.

14. Mr. Oldschool

Love the whip. I have never learned to use one, but Indy made me want to!

My coffee methods include standard drip, two different french presses, cappuccino/espresso maker, kuerig, and at work we have a pour over, but I haven't quite got that one dialed in yet. I've also made Turkish style a couple times, which is interesting, but it's hard to find a grinder that will get the beans fine enough. Have you ever tried Death Wish beans? They're expensive, but they're worth it!

15. Mr. Oldschool

Luge, seriously? That rocks! I tend to prefer riding my sled skeleton style, but that's nothing to actual luge or bobsled (or true skeleton). Where do you do that? Are there places that maintain the courses for people to just use?

16. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

Belgian made Mauser. BLO, thin coats followed with Scotch Bright rub down when dry, repeat till satisfied with finish then paste wax several times.

BigMike likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I thought I wanted to pick up woodworking (of the vintage, non-power tool variety), as a hobby and I may still do so. Thus far, it's been a 'let's collect, restore and research vintage tools' hobby.

I looked at what was available. The cheap stuff is garbage, and the new good stuff is astronomically expensive, and still not as good as the really old stuff.

My most recent acquisition, a "Davis & Cook" (actually a S. Robert Jackson, self proclaimed "Successor to Davis & Cook") 30 in. "glued cherry" level with "nickel trimmings" if the faint number "5" stamp on this level is any indication. The catalog reference shown below was published in 1912. The wholesale price was $3.50 for this level, or about the equivalent of $95 today, or a day's wages for a skilled laborer in 1912. The retail price would probably be about double the wholesale price. This was a very high quality tool. Also shown is the patent drawing for the spirit levels themselves. My great grandfather's gold filled Waltham pocket watch was made in 1912 (thanks to serial number references) and also sold for $3.50, to give an equivalent reference.
    IMG_1615188124626.JPEG
    IMG_1615188124732.JPEG
    My North Bros. "Yankee" drill and brace collection so far:
    FB_IMG_1614543413248.jpg
    The brace was made during WW2. The drills are no older than 1912, but could have been made anytime between 1912 and 1947. All three were very expensive top of the line tools, and still represent the pinnacle of hand powered drilling technology.

They really don't make stuff like they used to. Sorry for the long winded post.

Xring3 and Enrico like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_20210308-095000.jpg

Enrico likes this.