Swedish Razors Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 23, 2018.

1. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

That means really big hands... however nice Klas Törnblom razor you have.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa and esvh like this.
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Ah, gotcha! The same couldn't be said of me. I'm pretty sure my hands are average sized, but I always wish they could be a bit larger, particularly when I'm trying to carry a lot of stuff and can't quite get them fully around my payload.

Thanks for the compliment on my new arrival. I've read a few reviews of Klas Törnblom razors, so I'm excited to get it into shape. I have, however, also read that they are super hard and can be quite obstinate to hone in the first place, with the trade off being that they keep an edge for a very long time. This will be an adventure!

It's funny, being of Norwegian decent, one would think I would have acquired a Swedish razor sooner, but alas I've spent most of my time collecting British blades. I have two Solingens that hold their own quite well, and one Japanese kamisori that is a work in progress, but I look forward to seeing the difference with yet another storied razor making region.

3. lottenhem

Here you have my Klas Törnblom, 7/16”. I agree with you that it was a tricky little piece to hone. On top an FW Söderén 5/8”. A favourite along the Heljestrands.[​IMG]

jgreenepa, esvh, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Wow, that Klas is a skinny blade! It looks like I could shave inside my nose with it!*

*Shamelessly recycling an old joke we've tossed around here before

5. lottenhem

and here is an even skinnier 3/8” Heljestrand MK No. 24[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Oldschool

The most amazing part is that they made it that way! Most of the time when you find one so thin, it's because someone honed it down to the nubs. Here it's stamped right on the tang! Very cool!

7. lottenhem

Yes, I think it is quite rare. Have not seen anyone more than this. The back side is that the width of the top is the same as on the”standard” 24. That makes it quite difficult to get sharp.

8. Mr. Oldschool

Yeah, the bevel would be pretty steep with that kind of geometry. Maybe that's why they didn't make too many...

9. lottenhem

Could be...

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  10. lottenhem

Just for visualisation, MK No.30 in my hand
    [​IMG]

11. Mr. Oldschool

Now there's a cool idea, we can show pictures of the size of our hands compared to the size of our razors. Here's mine with the Klas which appears to be 5/8. By comparison, your hands do indeed apear much larger than mine. Are you also very tall? I used to be 5'10" and 125lbs when I was a teen. Now I'm 5' 9 1/2" and more like 190lbs. I guess time is wearing me down...[​IMG]

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

12. lottenhem

I am 6’3” and steady on 205lbs for many years. Independent of what I eat or drink

jgreenepa, Mr. Oldschool and esvh like this.
  13. Mr. Oldschool

I just found my ruler. My Klas measures 11/16ths at the widest point. Interesting that it isn't in an increment of 8ths. It doesn't look to me like there is enough wear to say that it used to be 6/8ths.

Hmmm...:signs002:

14. lottenhem

Many of the Swedish razors I have does not comply to the Imperial system totally.. So I guess that your Klas is as it should.

jgreenepa, Mr. Oldschool and esvh like this.
  15. Mr. Oldschool

Good to know, thanks! Looking at a description from one of the resident experts over at B&B, it looks like razors stamped Klas Törnblom would date from between 1916 when he started his own business after his previous business was driven under by the blockade during WWI, and 1959 when the company folded, which I believe was a short time after his daughter who had inherited the business passed away. It also looks like their razors had a fantastic reputation for quality, and had a fair amount of export to the US, but still never had large numbers and thus were on the spendy side.

jgreenepa, lottenhem and esvh like this.
  16. lottenhem

There were a couple quite skilled razor manufacturers in Eskilstuna!
    I have just from a few of them, but i like the following brands:

C.V. Heljestrand
    J A Hellberg
    F W Söderén
    Klas Hellberg

I Will explore the rest of the manufacturers when I find decent objects.

Happy New Year!

17. lottenhem

I have to revise my previous statement, the 3/8” have a width of 3,5mm and the “standard “ 24 have 4,2mm. Anyhow the 24 is trickier to get sharp then the MK 30 series...

18. Mr. Oldschool

Nevertheless, I don't remember if it was here or at one of the two other major straight razor forums, but someone was commenting about Klas'es having an invisible bevel, which sounds to me like an exceedingly steep bevel.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

19. lottenhem

Two CVH MK No31 from different years. The oldest on top.
    [​IMG]

20. lottenhem

Both with Ivory scales