Brit/American Gillettes......

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Jan 7, 2021.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

look the same to me but I have noted that some folks believe there are differences in them.

If there are differences, what are they? Are SO different that you would notice the any changes in your shave?

Inquiring minds want to know so let's hear it folks.

Oh, and thanks in advance for the knowledge

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There are differences and in the main the British stuff is milder than it's equivalent American counterpart i.e. an American Aristocrat produced in the same timeframe will be more aggressive than a British version.

General rule of thumb earlier models will be more aggressive than later models, more expensive retail versions will be more aggressive than the less retail expensive counterpart in the same time frame and later model adjustables are more aggressive on the high setting than earlier model adjustables.

There are a few exceptions like the goodwill razors especially the American made 162 which is uber aggressive compared to other Goodwills or the short and long comb new razors.

brit likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

My personal experience owning british and american is that there are some differences. Now for the most part i dont have a british red tip to compare my american red tip to, but i do have techs, and other razors that i can. Are the differences significant? Not really, in most cases unless you are shaving back to back with counterparts you wouldnt notice the difference. There are razors that just were not made in US that were available in England. One is example is the aluminum rocket 52a
    IMG_6263.jpg
    I stopped buying a couple of years ago now, but i sought the brit razors for their variation, collectibility and because they are just simply cooler. I stopped keeping track which is aggressive or mild as i just shave. Heck i really dont think r41 is aggressive as i once made it out to be. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i find the 2nd and 3rd gen brit aristocrats to feel more aggressive than the late 40s u.s one i have but they are quite heavier..the red tip rocket felt a little more as well. brits had some cool models as well that weren't available in the u.s..love the New RFB and Tech Hybrid..

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

That hybrid is really the only one im after. I dont really hunt for it, but one day....

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i do know a guy if you want one..

Jorvaljr likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Ill pm you

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

:eatdrink047:

9. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The most significant difference is between early TTO-s. British ones (Gen 1/2/3 Aristocrat, Popular, Gen 1/2 Aristoctar Jr.) have a noticeably narrover head than others. Others can be a bit different, like Techs or News being heavier, but the geometry is basically the same.
    Shave angles on a Fatboy setting 9 compared to a Gen 2:
    IMG_4289.JPG

Adam

brit likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

They are made in different countries? :p

(I know I am not any help.)

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

interesting..:)

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

In the case of American made Super Speed razors and British Super Speeds / flare tip razors (also referred to as Rockets). The goal posts were set by Gillette themselves with the blue tip being the mildest, red tip being the wildest and the standard ones in the middle. If you get one of each you have the range of differences for all Super Speeds regardless of production year for US made ones and the same holds true for British ones if you can find them for sale.

brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Wow! I wonder how those really work and what's the quality? Nice looking razors though

15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No idea. All I can say is the vintage counterparts can be found cheaper but with that said the price differential between the vintage and new knockoffs shouldn't be a deal breaker if one wanted to buy them. If you start to look at replated options then these are in the same ball park or cheaper in price.

brit likes this.