January 2021 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Dec 31, 2020.

?

What's your 2021 Shaving Resolution?

1. I am going to finally finish up some shave gear.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. I am undertaking a No-Buy 2021.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I am going to finally complete a 30 DAY RULE.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. I am going to complete a 30 DAY FOCUS.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You all can do what you want, I am going to focus on cookies.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I assumed it was from Sunday to Saturday. Personsally, it is a no shave day so tomorrow will be my last shave for this focus.

JACarbone, brit, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Danny, me too! :)

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Looking good Matt

JACarbone, brit, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  4. Trigger

Excellent shave and post Jason!

5. Trigger

Very nice Matt!

6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Dave. I hope you like the FA, it is an absolute fave of mine and the King of Fougeres in my den. I am also a huge fan of the SV 4.3 base, but I know that sentiment is not universal.
    Yes, I used a Platinum Lux in my R41 clone last week, it did very well for the two days I had it in. I will put it in the Canadian Rocket for this weekend's shave for a direct comparison to the Sharp Star.
    I bought 100 packs of Voskhods (had a tuck in my original sampler pack when I started and it did well enough) and SharpStars (based on Neal's reviews of them on here 4 years ago) but frankly only have a drawer full of Rapiras due to a lost bet with Neal. Coincidentally enough, given your current challenge, Neal bet me in Jan of 2018 that I would not be able to complete my stated No Buy for that year. I took the bet. I would get a pack of blades for each month I completed and a full 100 pack if I made it through the year and he would get a brush from me if I didn't. I folded like a cheap suit in August and Neal sent me 7 tucks of Rapiras- some 5s, some 10s. I did try a bunch at the time and then put them away for a few years (for no real reason, apart from the useless Ladas). I've been focussing on them this month.
    If you think a similar bet would 'help' you in your current NB (fresh start!), I'd do something similar. If you make it through 6 months, I'll send you a custom shave bowl. If you make it through the full year, I'll add a custom brush with a decent knot. If you don't make it, you send me a Karve (free shipping in Canada:)). Just trying to assist a friend. If he'd like, similar deal for @jluc...:innocent

7. jgreenepa

Lovely shave, Jason! You should try Kai blades! I think they’ll surprise you in a TTO. I’ve seen a difference! Love that brush handle! ;)

JACarbone, brit, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  8. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Thanks!

JACarbone, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  9. jgreenepa

Thanks, Dave! :)

JACarbone, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  10. jgreenepa

Nice shave, Matt! Enjoy your day and stay safe out there! :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    JACarbone, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks, Joe! You do the same!:)

JACarbone, brit, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  12. jgreenepa

Thanks, Clint! :)

JACarbone, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  13. jgreenepa

Me as well, Joe! :)

JACarbone, Trigger, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

You may like sputnik too if you liked Voskhod. I've had/have both. As far as the encouragement, after failing with the Shak-Sharp Razor I went off the deep end with purchases but am reaffirming my commitment as of Feb. Sounds like an easy New Razor for you and I'm not a betting man. I may be in touch down the road for a brush from you though as I've seen your artwork and it's impressive.

Edit - Just saw the fresh start. Hmmmmmmmm, I'd have to call it an agreement verses a bet....... @jtspartan

15. jtspartan

Excellent! We haven't had a good, old-fashioned tallow vs. non tallow brou ha ha on here in awhile! My M has most definitely V'ed. I have tallow soaps that are as good as it gets and others that I've binned. Same for non tallow soaps.

16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

jan152021.jpg
    January 15th

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements SS & AS - Et Tu (Brut homage)
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Star Jelly
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Switchback 400 w/TGN 2 Band Badger
    J.A. Henkels 472 Friodur 6/8 (rescaled by Glen)

A couple throwback homage products from PAA.....first up is a Switchback 400, a Rubberset clone which I loaded this ferrule with a TGN badger. Easy super lather created from the CK6 shave soap formula (this example closer to a croap, it's pretty soft). The TGN 24mm knot is near the perfect badger size for me, has plenty backbone, bowl or face lathers beautifully, no lather hog at all. This image makes it look like the tips are slightly gelled (an option I don't like), but it's not really the case, I just forgot to swirl it dry before the image. 3 easy passes from the rescaled Friodur, an awesome blade that maneuvers nicely. 1 small lower lip weeper, no distraction, stopped on it's own with the cold water rinse. Palmful of PAA's Star Jelly is a great after shave gel for the skin following a scraping by sharp steel. Finished with a Fougère Friday dousing of Et Tu aftershave & cologne...a near perfect match to the original Brut by Faberge. It's a wifey favorite.

Hope everyone has a Fabulous Friday!

17. jtspartan

Very nice, Jeff. Have you ever tried the 3x soap version of that L'Occitane Cade? I recall some pretty favourable reviews.

JACarbone, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
  18. jtspartan

What a great Fougere Friday combo, Blair. SWMBO is a fan of the Et Tu as well. Apparently it is discontinued now. I recall asking you this before, but don't remember the answer or comparison- do you have the Wholly Kaw dupe as well?

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Is that Gary Busey(the picture)?

Trigger, brit, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  20. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Stellar line up there Blair !!

b1hart, Trigger, brit and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.