The Slant Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jul 22, 2018.

?

I use a slant razor because

1. OK OK I USE A SLANT!! there I said it...

59.5%
  2. What was the question again?

4.8%
  3. It just looks so cool

16.7%
  4. It was love at first sight

7.1%
  5. to spite my nose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ARE we there yet??

11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Thanks Gary. It's a late 1950s era U.S made razor, huge odd shaped head but a nice shaver.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool.first one i have seen..:cool:..enjoy..

Aztecmike likes this.
  3. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

4. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

brit likes this.
  5. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Nice slant shave & photo Jim. I saw you were getting a bit lonely & I hope to join the party a bit more often. ;)

Tdmsu and James Kleinkauf like this.
  6. James Kleinkauf

Thanks Mike. I welcome the company. ;)

Aztecmike likes this.
  7. James Kleinkauf

8. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Just got my first slant razor, a Merkur 37c, in the mail today and used it with my Stirling Scots Pine Sheep soap and glacial-mentholated aftershave. Post-shave balm was Autumn Glory. I had a couple days' worth of growth to take off. I knew it would be more aggressive than my Merkur 34g, and shaved with it accordingly, but still managed to nick myself in the neck in a few places where I typically get them. The alum feedback was definitely there, though not as intense as I imagined. I did three passes with a touch-up in one spot on my neck. overall, I think it's a bit of an upgrade from my trusty 34, though I'd prefer an Astra Superior Platinum blade in it over others.

Oh! I also have the El Fantasma glow-in-the-dark open comb slant from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements on the way. I had it on my wish list expecting it to have sold out by the time I send away for it, but was pleasantly surprised to find it still available. I know it's a novelty, but the idea of a lightweight open comb slant was too tempting to pass up once I'd seen reviews from some of my favorite shaving YouTube channels. I'll give my own review of it upon arrival and use.

Ron R, Tdmsu, Aztecmike and 2 others like this.
  9. James Kleinkauf

10. brit

brit in a box

fine slant shaves and pics Jim..very cool..:cool:

11. James Kleinkauf

Thank you Gary. ;)

brit likes this.
  12. James Kleinkauf

WEDNESDAY ‌01/27/21 SOTD
    RazoRock Wunderbar Slant Titanium HALO Handle
    Personna‌ ‌Platinum‌ ‌Chrome‌ ‌Israeli‌ ‌Red‌
    WCS Two-Tone Tall 26mm Synthetic BOSS Knot
    Ethos Grooming Essentials/CBL Fresh Lime Shave Soap
    Epsilon Blue Mediterranean Aftershave Splash

[​IMG]

13. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thursday January 28, 2021
    Razor: Gratiot Krect Spiral Curve Slant
    Blade: Wizamet (?)
    Brush: Sorrentino Orange Crush
    Soap: Lakewood SOCP (1508.5 Project)
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Terre D'Hermes Splash
    Fragrance: Terre D'Hermes EdT

I want to get to the new slant from China but this trumps it when it came in yesterday. Had one of these that was rough on the edge of the top cap but shaved like a dream other than that. I sent it off to have it redone but when it came back it didn't shave the same. Too much had to be removed from the cap to get the edge smooth before it was re-plated perhaps. I don't know but the shave was different to me. I like shiny things but will refrain from getting this one done as the shave today was a reminder of the original before getting worked with the exception that the cap is smooth on the edge. I'm afraid to mess with it. What a nice, smooth and comfortable shave was had this morning. VERY happy to have gotten another as these are pretty rare especially the plated brass version. Amazing how they could produce such a spiral curved slant with such a thin head as compared to what we see in a typical slant today and I love the handle attachment design which is unique to say the least. Hope all have a great day today !!

IMG_20210127_191736826.jpg

Tdmsu, Ron R, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Thur Feb 4th 2021

Razor: Razorock Wunderbar slant- Mfg 2017>, upper mid range, Excellent slant when technique is dialed in, light touch with short to mid length strokes works for myself.
    Blade : Gillette silver blue (3) excellent blade, sharp & Smooth + top tier for my favorites. longevity average.
    Soap: Razorock Irish Countryside- nice mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Good post shave feel also.
    Brush: Yaqi rainbow brown whiskers 26mm synthetic, excellent lather generator with cloud like soft tips + good back bone for a nice scrub, paints lather great.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm (-21C, humidity 40 indoors)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant with a GSB blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

15. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Welp, add the Parker 55SL-SC razor to my collection alongside the Merkur 37c and the PAA El Fantasma. I don't think I dare get another slant, ha ha! But, you just know if I got a Merkur I'd sooner or later get my hands on the Parker counterpart.

Tdmsu and BigD like this.
  16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

17. James Kleinkauf

THURSDAY ‌02/18/21 SOTD
    Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
    Above The Tie 22x‌58 Silvertip Badger
    Zingari Man The Watchman Sego Shaving Soap
    Zingari Man The Watchman AS Recovery Splash

[​IMG]

Dave in KY, Tdmsu, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

fine set up and pic Jim..very cool..:cool:

19. James Kleinkauf

Thank you Gary. ;)

brit likes this.
  20. James Kleinkauf

WEDNESDAY ‌03/03/21 SOTD
    Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow