Micromatic Monday

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GAW9576, Dec 2, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Thanks for joining in on Micromatic Monday @RonR and @jimjo1031.

Ron R likes this.
  2. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Cool handle!! Where did you get it?

GAW9576 likes this.
  3. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

Hi! Don't know how I've missed this one, but I'm intrigued with the idea of a Micromatic Monday... I do notice that a lot of the posts are about other single edge razors that aren't Micromatic. Is it open to all SE razors? Just curious Thanks

Ron R and GAW9576 like this.
  4. GAW9576

Hello @cpool22 thanks for dropping by. I made that handle from a shell casing from the honor guard at my grandfather's funeral. Someone on another forums made a batch of the adapters and knurled end and did a giveaway.

This thread is a carry over from another forums were it started as just a Micromatic thread. It opened up to any razor made buy Gem then eventually any razor made buy ASR (American Safety Razor) that takes a Gem style blade. These include Gem, Ever Ready, Star and Treet. We also say that every day is Monday in this thread. So at least one place in the universe Mondays are a good thing.

Hope you join in whenever you use an ASR razor.

Ron R and cpool222 like this.
  5. GAW9576

I had an excellent shave this morning with the Made in England 1912. It's such a great shaver.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Ron R like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Jan 25th 2021, or more accurately for myself today a A.S.R Everready 1912

Razor: Everready 1912, British variat- Mfg 1936-53, excellent mid range, excellent handle for grip, very enjoyable shave today.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (3) Excellent blade, Very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity, predictable!
    Soap: Razorock Blue barber , great barber shop scent with Excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
    Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown whiskers - excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, great scrub & lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock Blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers= [​IMG] Excellent shave with my Everready 1912 & coated Gem SS blade.(One of those WOW shaves!
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Ijustmissedthe50s, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  7. GAW9576

Great minds think alike.

Ron R likes this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Tue, Jan 26th 2021

Razor: Gem G bar- MFG1953-58,<mid range, Great razor and a nice razor in the hand with its finger flange at the end for comfort.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (4) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely with great longevity & predictable.
    Soap: Tabac- nice mild clean flowery scent, with excellent lather qualities & good post shave feel IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm black marble- [​IMG] , loft 54mm, great lather creator, soft cloud like tips, some back bone & excellent lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Razorock Emperor(RR Creed Adventis version) with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.(-20C today)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation+ no weepers =[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem G bar + a coated SS Gem blade.
    SOTD, Tue, Jan 26th 2021.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and GatorJoe like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Feb 1st, 2021

Razor: Micromatic flying wing, MMBT, Guiding eye...- Mfg1948, great mid range<, heaviest of the Micromatics, carefree to use.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable,
    Soap: Proraso red sandal wood- nice milder scent with great lather qualities.
    Brush: Razorock noir 400 plissoft 24mm- great synthetic brush reminds me of a boar brush, soft tips with a bit of back bone for a scrub.
    Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Proraso red sandal wood [​IMG]with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS, DFS. BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] excellent milder mid range shave with my MMBT and coated SS Gem blade.(not much to shave from yesterday close shave.)
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. GAW9576

So today I was pondering weather to join @ouchyfoot in a Push Button shave or go really old school along with @Tanuki with a Lather Catcher shave. Well I just couldn't decide. Then I did decide, on both. These two razors are near opposite ends of the Gems age spectrum. At first I thought this was going to be an Odd Couple pairing of razors but I was surprised how good these two look together.
    I used the Gem Junior Bar on the front of my neck and on my beard line and the Push Button on the back of my neck. This turned out to be a very close enjoyable shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R and brit like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SOTD, Tue, Feb 2nd 2021- A.S.R Tuesday with my 2nd Generation Streamline razor. Took a while to figure it out over the last 2 years but best results with my Streamline are short shallow strokes work best for my self. Steep approach does not work for myself at all.

Razor: Everready Streamline 2nd generation-MFG 1949-53, great razor, upper mid range, one of the best looking ASR razors IMO.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) excellent blade, Very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- Excellent manly scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm knot- excellent lather Generator, cloud like soft tips with some back bone for a nice gentle scrub and great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups,
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 small blemish weeper = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my 2nd Gen streamline with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 and brit like this.
  12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MMMonday, Feb 8th 2021

Razor: Micromatic clog Pruf(Peerless model)-MFG 1945, excellent mid range, I get great shaves with this razor, All brass + rack and pinion to open & close top cap.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandal wood, milder scent with excellent lather qualities, A bargain IMO.
    Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm, excellent lather generator, heavenly like soft tips, gentle scrub with back bone + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + sandal wood A.S with clove [​IMG]+ a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG]Excellent shave with my MMCP peerless model + a coated Gem blade.(nice birthday shave)
    [​IMG]

GatorJoe, GAW9576 and brit like this.
  13. GAW9576

I went after a solid weeks growth this morning with the Open Comb Damaskeene and ended up with a SAS+ shave after just 1 pass with light touch ups.

IMG_20210208_124521630.jpg

GatorJoe and Ron R like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Tue, Feb 9th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (LLCatcher)-Mfg 1914-17,1st gen blade stops, mid range, excellent razor for its time era & present, great audio feedback.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, excellent longevity & predictable.
    Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood - excellent soap, great milder scent with some clove, excellent lather qualities, good post feel.
    Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm knot, cloud like soft tips, good back bone for a nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & Sandalwood with clove + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-35C, 35 humidity indoors)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = [​IMG] Excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a coated Gem SS blade.
    (Lately I have been receiving perfect shaves, maybe the dryer cold weather?)
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

GatorJoe and GAW9576 like this.
  15. GAW9576

Great shave and photo Ron.

Ron R likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg, 12 hrs later I have DFS feeling. The ER 1914 is just a great razor and a joy to use.

GAW9576 likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Feb 15th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior bar- MFG 1907-11, excellent milder mid range, very easy to use with modern Gem Coated blades. Very happy to go back in time and feel what it was like with a time machine(tool) and return instantly back to modern times[​IMG].
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, and predictable.
    Brush: Yaqi Artic sky 24mm - excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, good scrub & great lather painting.
    Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice bright citrus scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
    Pre shave : Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard surface.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.-
    Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.(- 26C, 34 humidity reading)
    Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

GatorJoe likes this.
  18. GAW9576

I had a great shave this morning with my curved top Gem squat head 1912. Mer Shavings Orange Fougère donkeys milk soap was whipped up well with a 26mm 2 band badger brush.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R and GatorJoe like this.
  19. GAW9576

Today I did a shave comparison between my Gem Clog-Pruf and my newly acquired Peerless Gem Clog-Pruf. A 5th use Gem SS PTFE was shared between the two razors. 2 passes for the test standard CP taking the left side of my neck and PCP taking the right. 1st pass from jawline down to collar bone, second pass sideways from middle of neck out. There was a clear visible difference in finish with the Peerless winning. The Peerless also felt better both during shave and post shave feel. No surprises here I finished the rest of the shave with the Peerless.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Feb 22nd 2021

Razor: Gem 1912 open comb version- MFG 1912-15, lower mid range, well built. excellent razor, this is the model that started GEM into a larger company A.S.R corporation and they sold millions of the 1912 in different variants of razors & handles over decades.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smoothes out nicely, predictable.
    Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandal wood- nice scent, excellent lather qualities, good post shave feel.
    Brush: Yaqi 26mm red Zebra handle, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub, excellent lather painter.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + picups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bay rum + Sandal wood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= [​IMG]excellent shave with my Gem 1912 OC with a new coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

GAW9576 likes this.