1946 Gillette Milord Christmas gift set

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by IAmTheJody, Aug 18, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Latest acquisition... 1946 (R4 date code on the blades) Gillette Milord Gift Set. The razor is near mint. No plate-loss. Can even see my thumb print on one of the photos. Original 5 packs of blades, 4 of which are still cellophane-sealed and 1 pack open missing a blade that was still in the razor (hate it when sellers leave blades in razors!). I believe someone used this razor once or twice and put it away. Very nice condition/set.
    Sorry about the photo lighting... a huge storm moved in and I lost my natural light after the first 4 photos and had to go lamp light.

[​IMG]

(Thumbnails are clickable for larger view)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

That is very nice. Manufactured the year I was born. At 65 it looks a lot better than I do.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. DClassic

DClassic Member

Nice set Jody! I was going to buy that one. You got it at a steal!

DC

4. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

great set! Congratulations on the purchase.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is slick, very nice!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

A little history... the Milord replaced the open-comb Sheraton and is basically the first Super Speed (the Ranger Tech replaced the open-comb Senator). The first Milord came about in 1940. Through 1946, the Milord retained the same handle as the Sheraton.. just, obviously a different head with solid-bar guard instead of open-comb (same thing with the Ranger Tech retaining the Senator handle). In 1947, the Milord received an update to its handle, losing the smooth band near the TTO knob, having been replaced with knurling like the rest of the handle. 1947 also saw the first razor officially called Super Speed, which was, as was the case with the Milord and its handle, an update to the handle losing the smooth band near the TTO knob and it being replaced with knurling.

Confused yet?

Basically the nickel plated Ranger Tech replaced the nickel plated Senator and evolved into what we know as the nickel plated 1940s Super Speeds.

And basically the gold plated Milord replaced the gold plated Sheraton and also evolved into what we know as the 1940s Super Speed, only gold plated.

Of course, the 1940s Super Speed should not be confused with the 1950s Super Speed which have the flare-tip TTO knobs.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Awesome score Jody!

Thanks for the quick history lesson too. :happy088:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Your collection is only surpassed by your knowedge, yet another nice find! I love the box (merkur could learn a thing or two there)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Fantastic new set! Rarely seen and in such great condition. Congratulations!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Another fine snag sir!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Verra nice Jordy and thanx for the pic posting tip. Worked like a charm

IAmTheJody likes this.
  12. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Darn, pics aren't showing up any longer? I just found this thread trying to date the "Milord" one piece razor kit I just got my hands on...
    Milord box.jpg

brit likes this.
  13. IAmTheJody

Just came across your post Mike. Unfortunately, image links over the years have died. But I was lucky enough to be able to access my old PC hard drives a few days ago and found all of my pictures of this set. So I will update this thread with the pictures again. Eventually.

brit and Dave in KY like this.