January 2021 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Dec 31, 2020.

?

What's your 2021 Shaving Resolution?

1. I am going to finally finish up some shave gear.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. I am undertaking a No-Buy 2021.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I am going to finally complete a 30 DAY RULE.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. I am going to complete a 30 DAY FOCUS.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You all can do what you want, I am going to focus on cookies.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks to the gentleman from Kentucky! I might add that genuine Oud-scented soaps splits those dark hairs much faster.

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks guys. Have a relaxing Sunday!

Hembree, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You will like it Patrick. Congratulations.

9nein9, jgreenepa, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  4. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Clint! It's worth a try and works well, essentially acting as an unscented cream (the only scent comes from the slight amount of peppermint oil). I've held off on buying any soaps/creams that are branded as unscented; I want at least a hint of freshness in the lather.

Hembree, 9nein9, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  5. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Sunday's Shave

Gillette Old Type
    Gillette Super Platinum (2)
    Wild West Brushworks 'Renaissance'
    GFT Spanish Leather Shaving Cream
    T.N. Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Aqua Velva Musk Aftershave
    Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling PSB

A terrific, no-fuss shave this morning. The GFT cream lathered quickly in the suribachi bowl and was kept warm as it sat on top of another bowl filled with hot water.

2+ passes with the Old Type provided a comfortable and efficient result with no irritation or mishaps to report.

Have a great Sunday!

SOTD 01.31.2021.jpg

brit, Hembree, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Moving on to the Mitchell Wool Fat soap and Bill Neumann A.S.(Heartwood). This actually is a pretty good combination for skin food(and thus softness). As we know, the MWF is a hard soap. It took me 3(ah said 3)times to load onto the Stoylin brush. By 3, I mean 0:25, 0:10, and a repeat of 0:10. Once again, about 1/2 a pass with the Red Tip razor, and 1 1/2 with the DisposeABLE. During the Red Tip persuasion, I did get a cut at the jawline(left side)which thankfully didn't spew anything out for the remainder of the shave. Wouldn't you know, I skipped over the same section on the right side, perhaps in fear of another cut. Will take care of that astroturf tomorrow. I did fine everywhere else. The Bill Neumann reduced the jawline cut nicely, as is one of its purposes. Our "new month" introducer(I think we all know his @Primotenore name, gave me good advice to wait until the end of the shave before I give my final report. Therefore, with the cuts gone, I'll make it another Super Duper shave.

brit, Hembree, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  7. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

B57DBE3C-46C2-4588-844B-536E7DEDB917.jpeg
    SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, JANUARY 31, 2021

For January’s last shave I selected the Wade & Butcher 7/8 for my mug and another long neglected safety razor, the Seki Feather AS-D2 fitted with a Feather DE, the blade the razor was designed around. Many have heard that this safety razor is mild, but that is far from the case. It’s a razor designed with a very narrow sweet spot, but once dialed in is capable of obliterating any set of whiskers. Using it with any DE blade other than a Feather, a Bic, a Nacet or a Kai is a mistake. It was optimized for the sharpest blade of the time, the Feather DE. I used this razor following a two week hospital stay over a year ago to effortlessly remove two weeks of growth! The razor is deemed mild by those who have not taken the time to master it. Those of us who have, prize it as a superb shaving tool. I don't have much to say about my W&B; it always delivers the goods! This morning’s shave left me clean, refreshed and velveteen smooth!

RAZOR: Wade & Butcher 7/8 (Mug), Feather AS-D2 Safety Razor (Dome)
    BLADE: Feather DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
    CREAM/CROAP: A&E Shaving Butter
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.

brit, Hembree, 9nein9 and 10 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs002: :signs089: :signs047::signs131::prrr::angry019:

9. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

I guess you can make that analogy. There are varying degrees of snow, light and fluffy to wet and heavy. I would prefer 15 inches of light, fluffy snow to 3 inches of the wet, heavy snow. Easier to move and less taxing on my right shoulder, not to mention the lower back. (Right shoulder has a tear in the rotator cuff from years of weight lifting).

10. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Thanks Clint

Hembree, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Thanks Dave.

I had that Empire in the den for years.
    These days I've come back to honing.
    And these little wedges are fast & easy to ...
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/posts/1925187/

12. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Thank you Jason. The soap is progressing slowly. I usually use a demitasse type spoon to scoop out an almond size amount of soap. The last few shaves I decided to load it directly on the brush for about sixty seconds. out of curiosity I weighed the tub before and after the shave, 50g to 49 g. Only one gram change, which to me means at least another 20 shaves if I figure the tub is about 25 g. It is taking longer than I thought it would this way. I may have to experiment with how much of a change occurs with a scoop.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great shave, pic and lineup Andrew! Have a great day!

Hembree, 9nein9, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Good shave Paul! Have a good day!

15. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Joe! You as well.

Hembree, 9nein9, JACarbone and 3 others like this.
  16. Trigger

Wonderful shaves Jeff! I recently read that the Feather AS-D2 was a mild razor. I scratched my head when I read it. Feather doesn't make anything mild. Have a nice day.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking shave Andrew. Happy Sunday

Hembree, 9nein9, jluc and 4 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent shave report and photo Jeff. For sometime I went with ever more aggressive razors. Then I found that when I do my part the "mild" razors do the job just as well. It just requires more focus on staying in the sweet spot.

Hembree, 9nein9, Trigger and 6 others like this.
  19. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jason! :(

Hembree, 9nein9, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Two classic razors, and a terrific summary, as usual, Barry! Do you have or have you ever shaved with a Muhle R41. I really like mine. It’s an incredibly efficient shaver! Enjoy your Sunday. :cool:

Hembree, 9nein9, Trigger and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.