Any regular multiblade cart users here?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by gorgo2, Sep 8, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just collecting testimonies...positive ones only, please...from 3-5 blade cart users such as the Quatro, Fusion, Pro-Glide, Hydro, etc. Just doin' some research and since there's (often) wisdom in a multitude of counselors, this would be the place to ask. Thanks in advance...

2. newb

newb Resident Newb

They are in my rotation. I've used the Pro Glide and Quattro, both give excellent shaves with proper technique. I now choose the Quattro over the Pro Glide as the blades are around half the cost. I wouldn't want to use one exclusively, as I enjoy the variety d/e, s/e, and str8's. But when I want BBS with minimal effort I grab the Quattro.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

The Atra has become one of my mainstays. I know you asked for 3 or more blades but the 2 blade does an excellent job.

Leo K. likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks; I've heard the Proglide, Quatro and Hydro (something) give comparable results.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's ok. I've always gotten fine shaves from DG two-blade carts but now can get much better results faster with more blades. I'm checking out DG today to see what else they have along those lines, but under their own label.

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I use an Atra when traveling on short trips that don't require checked luggage. Living with an Energizer employee I do have my choice of Schick products but draw the line at 3 blades. If I have to pick a cartridge at the moment it would be a Schick Hydro-3.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Why the Hydro-3?

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

don't care for the 4, 5 or more blades. The schick xtreme-3 doesn't seem as smooth as the hydro-3 to me. Modern Gillette products would be a source of marital friction since my wife works for Energizer.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never tried the Hydro but you're 100% on the Xtreme-3. That's the razor I used for several years and left myself all nicky and lumpy every time. In fact, it's the very razor that pushed me into trying DE. My technique is down now so I don't doubt I'd get a better shave from the Xtreme-3 than I used to, but I'm not buying any just to find out.

Back from DG. Picked up their in-house 5 blade contraption...figured I'd start low on the ladder and work my way up.

10. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I have and use regularly a Mach 3 and a Fusion pro Glide Power, I love them both ... way better than my DE razors.

11. I use the Hydro 5 approx. 5-6 days per week. I have tried and like the Proglide but I am not in love with it. For me it gives a great, smooth, lasting BBS shave in 3 passes. I love the Hydro 5. Love it! It delivers all the good things the Proglide offers and does them much, much better. It is what the Proglide wishes it was. The razor just plain works better for me. Better than any cartridge razor made from 1blade to 5 blades. No irritation at all. Period. I have purposefully tried to give myself razor burn and it is next to impossible. I have used enough pressure to shave of 10 layers of skin and it is amazing that it still is smooth. The trimming feature is fantastic. It works perfectly under nose and sideburns.i

Just an FYI. Schick has the disposable Hydro 5 razors out. At my grocery they were on sale for 8.99 for 4 razors (3+1 bonus). In the package is a 2.00 off coupon for Hydro 5 disposables. I got 8, Hydro 5 disposables for $16.00 or $2.00/ cartridge. Pretty good deal.

I love the Hydro 5!!

12. Also. I am 'out of the closet' as far as cartridge razors and canned goo go. I like to shave, so I use any and all forms.

Leo K. likes this.
  13. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Do you have the manual Hydro 5 or the power one? I do believe that it makes a difference to the Fusion razor as I think my shave is better when the power is turned on. I do use a boar brush and Arko with lots of good prep so the shave is bound to be good no matter what razor I use.
    Will have a look for a Schick next time I'm feeling adventurous at the supermarket.

14. houlejames

houlejames Member

I use the Head Blade ATX 4 for 2 passes, wtg and atg, on my head. First pass on my face, wtg, I use the Gillette Guard. The second,atg, and third pass,xtg, I use the Fusion. Works great for me. Shave every other day with no irritation and BBS

15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Whatta newb.

Shut up, dork.

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@gorgo2 I hope you haven't been growing your beard for the past 8 years, waiting for me to chime in. :scared011:

Ain't nothin' wrong with a Trac II. I currently use one mostly when I travel, but it makes a great everyday razor. I think I paid $5 for the handle, and Personna blades are pretty reasonable in bulk. Why Trac II? I remember my Dad using one and me using his razor when I started shaving. In my world, the shaves are comparable to DE shaves in every respect.

Don't try to take all 6 feet of beard growth off with the Trac II. It might clog up. :happy102:

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No siree Bob, I'm back to a goatee but I use a generic T-II probably once a week. I like em. My favorite extant cart since the Bonded is long dead.

Leo K. and wristwatchb like this.