The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

brit flat bottom tech/french solid thin handle

1.jpg

MacDaDad, PLANofMAN and Aztecmike like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

canadian 4 piece
    20210127_102721_edited1.jpg

MacDaDad, Aztecmike and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Northstonehill

Northstonehill Active Member

I am a Tech nut myself. My newest acquisition is this wonderful French version (made in UK) 1950 Tech with hollow handle. Superb shaver and just simple and nice. I have owned several others and prefer the post-war baseplates and the fat handles.

...Oh, and then my longest love affair has been with the Hybrid Tech, the best shaver of all 100+ vintages I ever tried. I am lucky to own two specimens, one with each of the baseplate engravings I think was made for this razor...

C5252F19-55B7-4E48-AAC0-17E8CD500D29.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  4. brit

brit in a box

fine french tech..:cool:..

MacDaDad likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

a canadian flat bottom tech/4 piece handle.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

MacDaDad, Aztecmike and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

canadian flat bottom tech cap is unique to this model.has a double crease or flat spot.different to the brit model,canadian prewar and and post war.
    20210205_133133_edited.jpg 20210205_133214_edited_edited.jpg with this etching on the cap i would date it aroung 1947-9 ish..

Aztecmike and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

After a little careful measuring with a caliper ,the cap of the Canadian flat bottom Tech is slightly narrower edge to edge than the British version.In theory and slightly visibly it would appear that the Canadian version has more blade exposure and gap.Feels a touch more efficient than the Brit as well.:)
    Canadian on the left..
    [​IMG]

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another flat bottom tech variation
    tech1.jpg tech2.jpg

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is British made but I think it was made for foreign distribution. I am pretty sure the flat bottom razors with open combs or closed guards like this with those style shoulders on the cap were mainly produced for razors sold in India.

I'll know more about it once it arrives.

brit likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool.the gillette insignia and handle suggest early 60s..:)

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This covers most of the known Tech razor head variations except for that one, the French post war style Techs with open comb guards and the most common one which is the American post war Tech design from 1948 - early 60s. Technically the English one is the same but the stampings are different.
    Techvariations1.jpg

Here is an open comb style with similar if not same shoulders on it.
    UK_Long_Combs.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is assuming they made flat bottom techs past the 40s. Far as I know the 3pc tech design became unified by the 50s regardless of where it was made.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

yes sir.the brit's all stem from the 7 oclock flat bottom razor design..

15. brit

brit in a box

you should ask Mr.Razor.he was a euro gillette worker..

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should add South American made Techs are also missing but share the same razor head design.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have to walk back my statement and agree that it is most likely a 60s or later era razor. Here is a picture of the cap.
    tech3.jpg

That cap style coincides with the revision of the base plates in 61 or 62.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

very cool.another transition type design..

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I will also add based upon the handle sometime 61 - 62 until about 1968 since that is when that style handle disappears on British made Techs and they went to the same style handle aluminum handle as the American Tech razors.

brit likes this.
  20. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

7 o’clock was a cheaper Gillette brand, not a company, after Autostrop and Gillette merged.

brit likes this.