E3 Fatboy over $200 on the bay?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Old School, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Anyone see this listing ending in a few hours? I HAVE NO relation to the seller.
    Just an E3, case and empty blade pack. All very clean and nice, but over $200 with 40 some bids?
    No red dot, no bottom dial, not previously used by Elvis...What am I missing?

Redrock, Hembree, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Clearly, there's still a demand. Fatboy's are worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I saw it too and can't understand why the bidding is going so high.

Redrock, Hembree and brit like this.
  4. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, but there are a plethora of nice one's BIN around a $100 right now...

5. henrickd

henrickd Member

I don’t think you’re missing anything. Folks with too much disposable income must just really want it. The case looks really nice to me though. Most I’ve seen don’t look that pristine. I’m not a Fatboy connoisseur so I could be missing something too.

6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I think I'm a FB connoisseur...I've got 2 in nice cases I use occasionally and keep nice. I'd like to find an instruction sheet and some D and E code blue blades to go with them. I've bought a few razors of the bay only in hopes of getting those blades...no luck yet lol.

Redrock, Hembree, brit and 1 other person like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

d.e.and early f's seem to go for bigger $$ cased in clean condition,it seems.more serviceable and still in that 50s realm..just a though ..:)

Redrock and Hembree like this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Funny. I have a Fatboy that was a gift, so it will never be sold. But over $200 is crazy. It's a great shaver, but just a tool.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You do have a contingent of more money than sense crowd that overpays for hyped razors or guys that are trading up from their user grade piece for a collection that don't mind paying extra. That is besides the fake accounts used to bid up a razor to find a the real bidder(s) maximum that occasionally overshoot that and wind up having to cancel the sale or have the scam account resell it later with a price higher but close to the prior real bidder(s) max.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A lot of times those pristine cases are polished up big time to look new and then seller(s) purposely call them N.O.S. to get more out of them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Redrock, Old School, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I Have the E F and G. The E was my Dads that we bought for his Birthday in '59 , The F I bought at a thrift store for $8 and the G I bought for $10 at a lawn sale. I had to really think hard to buy my Weber PH for $70 new, So I'd have to be highly medicated to spend $200 on a used Fatboy.

Redrock, brit, henrickd and 2 others like this.
  12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I picked up my FB many years ago for around $30.00 shipped. Since them prices have gone crazy. I think you can still get a good deal. Just have to look around.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    15 years ago $30+ was an average price for a fatboy. 10 years ago $50 was an average price.

Redrock and brit like this.
  14. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Found mine at a flea market for $3 and paid $50 to have it done in Rhodium. $53 total cost and looks sweet. Not a museum piece but I planned on shaving with it.
    image.jpg

Redrock, PLANofMAN, brit and 4 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome Dave..deals like that aren't the norm these days..:cool:

Redrock, Dave in KY and Hembree like this.
  16. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

They never are till they happen, it was just a year ago. You got a pretty good deal on some recently too if I recall........;)

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..:),right place at the right time..;)

Dave in KY likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Free market, or what's left of it.

brit and lightcs1776 like this.