February 2021 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Jan 31, 2021.

?

What are you shaving plans for February?

1. I am going to finally complete a 30 (28) Day Rule.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I am going to finally finish my first tub of soap.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am going to finally shave with a DE razor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am going to join the Dark Side and give straight razor shaving a try.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am going to hone my first straight razor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am going to mix it up and shave with anything I want.

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  7. I am going to learn how to bake cookies from scratch.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. I am abstaining from taking part in ludicrous polls.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Thanks Clint

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 5 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I bought both my Dovo's from the defunct Straight in Nov '18 Razor Design and Royal Shave in early '19 and their edges were straight. Unfortunately the razor from Royal Shave was not shave ready and I had to hone it. Finally, I have heard that the QC had been lacking at Dovo during the last few years, but I was lucky with my 2 razors.

brit, Hembree, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Yes I find the OC plate much more agressive but a tad less smooth. That could be blade choice also. So many variables to consider it would take months of trial and error with all the different blades I have .

brit, Hembree, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  4. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

8F2A63AA-8739-46F9-B9B4-3F174A182C8F.jpeg

SRS # 461

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Frederick Reynolds 5/8”
    Brush: Skully
    Lather: Razorock X (1508.5)
    Aftershave: Razorock X
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Alum Block
    Stirling Tea Tree Witch Hazel
    Stirling Unscented Glacial Balm

Only two more shaves with this soap before it’s demise. The goal for 2021 is to bin 5 soaps.

I had an excellent three pass shave with a refreshed Fredrick Reynolds on the green lapping film. The shave was smooth and comfortable. I am ready for the start of another week with the Yutes. My suspicion with this COVID hybrid learning nonsense is that within the next month we are going to see a return to all students returning to the building o. A daily basis.

Have a great day gentlemen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Droo78, Edison Carter, brit and 11 others like this.
  5. Dave in KY

Great shave and killing of the soap Joe

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 5 others like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Nice setup Joe. Been awhile since I binned a soap. Be awhile before I bin another by the looks of things :)

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great shave Joe! I believe that the Covid 19 crisis will be over soon also. Have a great day!

brit, Hembree, JACarbone and 4 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking shave Joe. I like the avatar.

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 22, 2021
    Blackland Blackbird
    Feather
    DK 7 with Druida Manchurian
    La Toja
    Shave Cream & Aftershave

[​IMG]

Happy Monday everyone. We @Dave in KY trying out the Blackbird last week, I decided to pull mine out and see if makes the cut to stay or go. The DK7 did a wonderful job face lathering the La Toja shave cream. The brush has excellent scrub and flow through. Three passes and touch ups caught the baby. The shave was very smooth and I don't find the razor aggressive. My main problem with the razor is keeping it polished. If I decide to keep the razor, I will put an antique finish on the razor. A splash of La Toja aftershave and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

Droo78, Edison Carter, brit and 11 others like this.
  10. Dave in KY

Great shave and conclusion Clint !

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Dave. Funny how certain razors click with us and others don't. I will use it at least a couple more days before deciding.

brit, Hembree, Trigger and 4 others like this.
  12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

1A456A0E-20B5-448D-832C-7BCFFD6F6D3E.jpeg
    SOTD MONDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY 22, 2021

Woke up to a balmy 29°F with the same white blanket of snow everywhere! Today’s task was to dial in the Rex Ambassador after experiencing some irritation on the back of the dome yesterday! Suspecting it might be the slightly wider Kai blade, I swapped it out for a Sharp Star, and that seemed to resolve the issue, although I did take my usual two ATG passes quite slow and easy on the tender part of the noggin. Note to self, after the back of my gourd settles down, I ‘ll take the Rex out for another spin with the Kai. In the attempt to balance things out, I grabbed the Diamond Hayashi Nichiri Tokusen 6/8, after a quick touch up on the jasper stone last night. The three pass mug shave, as a UK shave buddy is fond of saying was “divine “! This razor never fails to deliver! I do love Japanese silver steel! I feel refreshed, clean, and velveteen smooth!

RAZOR: Diamond Hayashi Nichiri Tokusen 6/8 (Mug), Rex Ambassador (Dome)
    BLADE: Sharp Star DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme AS Balm.

Droo78, Edison Carter, brit and 10 others like this.
  13. Dave in KY

Nice shave Jeff, I didn't care for the Rex Ambassador but did the Envoy. Some say Envoy was the Ambassador on 3 but I didn't get that at all. Glad it works for you !

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    brit, Hembree, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  14. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Fabulous shave Dave. Glad to see the SOCP biting the dust.

15. Dave in KY

Thanks Joe

16. jgreenepa

Great Reynolds shave, Joe! Nice refresh! :cool:

brit, Hembree, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Very nice Clint. Brush looks oh so good :)

Be good to revisit with the Kai just for curiosity sake . Nice shave Jeff :)

brit, Hembree, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  18. jgreenepa

Great Blackbird shave, Clint! I thought you were the guy who’d never polish anything after your service stint? There’s something to be said for natural patina! My Karve has developed a lovely patina over the last two years or so! ;)

Edison Carter, brit, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20210222_060455.jpg
    Menthol Monday!

Awesome solid shave this morning. The Simpson T3 Trafalgar made easy work of the Fine Snake Bite. I loaded a fresh Rockwell blade in the 6C Gunmetal Rockwell @ plate 5 for a nice three pass shave. First time using a Rockwell blade and it is not a bad blade. It is just hard to beat the Rockwell 6Cs for the value. I would love to see Rockwell offer a 5 and 6 plate separately that is half as thick as the current plates.....non reversible. This would take a lot of weight off of the end of the razor.

A little Witch Hazel, a few squirts of American Tobacco by Andy Hilfiger and I am ready for Monday.

The Alien shave soap is due in today. Clint @clint64 has the Tatara Nodachi in route to me and it should be here around Wednesday or Thursday. I am really excited to test drive this baby. The Tataras have always caught my eye and I appreciate Clint giving me this opportunity.

Take care gentlemen!

Droo78, Edison Carter, brit and 10 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I like the Ambassador but I have to agree, the Envoy does feel better on the face.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, brit, Hembree and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.