March 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion. ALL are Welcome!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Feb 28, 2021.

?

What will be your shaving routine in March?

1. I WILL finally commit to a 30 (31) Day Rule.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. I WILL finally commit to a 30 (31) Day Focus.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I WILL commit to using up at least one soap.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. I WILL NOT commit to anything, but getting a great shave.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  5. I WILL commit to cookies and ice cream only on even-numbered days.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. I WILL finally be committed.

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I Martius am! Once first, and now third!
    To lead the Year was my appointed place;
    A mortal dispossessed me by a word,
    And set there Janus with the double face.
    –Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, American poet (1807–82)
    Here we are, March 2021. One year ago, businesses all across our country and the world were closing their doors, as we embarked on a herculean quest to conquer the now-infamous, Covid-19 pandemic. I venture to say, that none of us has been un-affected in some manner by this crisis. For those who have lost loved-ones; suffered with the illness themselves; had their businesses adversely affected, know this: all of us here at TSD are with you, even if only in spirit, and will, to the best of our abilities, continue to lend moral support, until we all have our lives fully restored to normalcy.

What’s the old saying about March? In like a:
    rewmwpm.jpg
    Out like a:
    lamb.jpg

The brown buds thicken on the trees,
    Unbound, the free streams sing,
    As March leads forth across the leas
    The wild and windy spring.
    –Elizabeth Akers Allen (1832–1911)
    In February, the 30DC thread was filled with amazing shaves; gorgeous photographs; tales of Derring-do; and, of course, mucho shenanigans. Our members have explored new avenues in honing, shaving-videos, tried many new products, and there are even some, who are keeping their shave dens from exploding, by Piffing gear or committing to a No Buy 2021. :shocked003:

Everyone has their own shaving rituals; likes; dislikes and desires, and the terrific thing about this thread, is that they are ALL LEGITIMATE. ALL. I can’t emphasize that enough.

So what shall the theme of March be? It’s the month of March Madness, but it’s too early for MayHem…I wonder :signs002:

Let me interject at this point the focus of this thread. From the title, we know that it’s a "Rule/Focus" thread.

What’s the Rule?
    Take ONE razor, ONE blade, ONE brush, ONE soap/cream and use them EVERYDAY of the month.

We had a few members successfully stick with this rigorous rule in February, and to them: Kudos. It’s arduous and sometimes pedantic, but it’s ALWAYS a brilliant learning experience.

What’s the Focus?
    Vary the gear for each shave, save, for perhaps, one or two elements.

The “Focus”, being much less rigorous, is the perfect way to really get to know a particular product in your den. That shiny, new SE razor, perhaps? How about that soap, which is proving difficult to lather? Or, how about that scritchy, boar knot you just transplanted into a new handle?
    It’ll never break-in if you don’t use it…often. So use it for 30 days. Why not?

There are some general rules that must be observed, and for the sake of clarity,
    I hereby post them for all to read:

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome.
    3. Respect everyone.
    4. Refrain from political conversation.**
    ** This should include, but not limited to: Covid-19, treatments and/or advice.
    Please keep these discussions off of this thread and indeed, off of TSD.

Lastly, what sets this thread apart is the interaction between the members. Every new visitor to this thread should feel welcome and be encouraged to ask questions about shaving. I encourage everyone, when posting their shave, to take one second and share a nuance about that shave that may serve to educate another. At what angle did you hold your razor and why? What’s your pass-routine? Do you strop your straight holding the strop vertically or horizontally? If a particular pre-shave ritual helped you get an irritation-free shave, tell us. If one shaver picks up a tidbit of knowledge, which allows him/her to get a better shave, then this thread is successful.

So back to this month's theme...March is typically the month to sew seeds for the garden, so let's sew the seeds for great shaves and share them with all who enter our thread.

March is upon us, so let’s get shaving!

"To Shave, Share, Support and Educate"©

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Terry, brit, Hembree and 12 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Great opening post to start the new month Maestro! Depending on my mood, I will just move from one shave setup to another. Looking forward to Spring!

brit, Hembree, b1hart and 8 others like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

A while earlier, I wrote that here in New England, March comes in like a lion and goes out like "that same cat". I've made it through the first two months in my quest for "NB 21". 2/12ths done(or if you want a Lowest Common Denominator, 1/6th done). Anyway........I look forward to another month of great shaves and good fun in here from all. Improved lathering , cut&Knick reduction and soap reduction will be my 3 focuses(foci?)for March. Course the last one is most challenging for me(a little more so than the first two). After all, that was a major reason I decided to do a hiatus from the Stoylin Tony Awards this year-to make serious reductions of my Stoylin soaps. Well, let's see how they all look by the New Year. I'm more worried about my aftershaves than soaps-. As for doing one razor, one soap, one aftershave, etc..for the entire month,don't look for me to do that, but I still have it front of mind to do an entire WEEK with the same soap, same aftershave......one of these months. Happy March shaving, fellas!!!

brit, Hembree, b1hart and 9 others like this.
  4. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great job setting the stage for another fun month of shaving, shenanigans, and fun, Joseph! I’ll continue my regular routine of shaving through my regular rotation, and continuing to downsize my safety razor collection as I upsize my straights. Looking forward to another great month! :cool:

brit, Hembree, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  5. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Hola muchachos! Just stopping in for a quick hello. While I can’t possibly keep up with the pace of this thread, rest assured, I will be stalking some of you silently. (You know who you are!) By the way, anyone need a CT?

Anyhoo, since my last foray bro the thread, I’ve pared down the den from “obscene amounts of gear and soaps” down to only “utterly ridiculous amounts of gear and soaps”, and have changed my lathering program to bypass the shaving bowl and, instead build the lather on the puck. Old timers used to call this the super goop method, but I’m adding water so it never actually gets goopy while face lathering.

I’ll try and pop in a couple times this month to encourage the brethren. Cheers!

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 13 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great to hear from you Randy. I hope you are doing well. We do have a few new comers that are in need of a CT. So keep a watch out for them. Take care and stay safe.

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  7. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

tumblr_m3f1h4pSuE1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

brit, jgreenepa, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  8. BaylorGator

Thanks, Clint!

Careful what you ask for, Dave!

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  9. Dave in KY

Randy, good seeing you. I've got broad shoulders and can take it. "Not a Buttercup" didn't stick....................I may not be CT Material :happy097::happy102:

brit, jgreenepa, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great to hear from you, Randy!

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  11. BaylorGator

Thanks, Jim!

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Hello Randy, thanks for popping in. Hope to see are of you in March.

@Paul Turner
    I am posting this here, because you're not checking your PM inbox or my PIF thread.
    I need your mailing address, please.

13. Dave in KY

Great start to another month and thanks to @Primotenore Joseph for his time and efforts to make this fun. I'm continuing to hope to reduce the den size by the end of the year even though I've been on a tear lately in acquisitions. If by the end of the year I am sub 50 soaps I will have done well in my mind............please don't tease me, I'm in a delicate and vulnerable place right now :happy097:

Micromatic Monday

Monday March 1, 2021
    Razor: Gem Micromatic
    Blade: Gem (?)
    Brush: @Dragonsbeard
    Soap: Dragonsbeard V1
    AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
    AS 2: Dragonsbeard
    Fragrance: Prada Luna Rossa Black

So pulling my Micromatic out and dusting it off. This was a gift that I'm ashamed to admit I forget where it came from but I think is may have been John DeepSea My file system works fine but the retrieval system has been getting rusty. Anywho I was pulling it out to join at least Danny @Hembree and Myles @myles wilson today. I had an amazing shave with it that had me chasing the baby hard and it was caught. The Humphrey's Maravilla 70 let me know for sure I over reached in a few spots but no blood was spilled and I'm eel like slippery smooth for my efforts. This scent is one of if not my GOAT. I don't have the EDP but it pairs VERY well with the Prada Luna Rossa Black. I hit the EDP HARD and I am definitely "That Guy" today. Hey, everyone I come into contact with today......as DangerousDon would say, "YOU'RE WELCOME" !!!! [​IMG] Have a stupid Fun Day Everyone !!!
    IMG_20210228_195949961.jpg

Droo78, brit, Edison Carter and 12 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Excellent start to the month, Dave. I can relate to the above statement...often. :happy088: There are a few scents in my den, which I will consciously only "lightly" apply, out of respect for my co-workers.

15. Dave in KY

Thanks Joseph :happy088:

brit, jgreenepa, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  16. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Excellent shave Dave, Nice to see you got good results. Once I start waking up more this morning I'll start my micromatic shave, I think If I try shaving with it now I'll butcher my face :)

17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Good to hear from you Randy! Hope all is well!

That's truly a gem of a shave Dave! Enjoy your day!

18. Dave in KY

Thanks Myles, you'll do fine. Pay attention to maintaining angle, skin stretching and no pressure and you'll be fine. :happy088:

Thanks Joe, I have a long one in store and waiting for rain to pass first so moving slowly to the door to leave today.

19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Clint's @clint64 Tatara Nodachi will be in hand today......finally.
    :bounce015: I am so excited.
    Screenshot_20210301-055445_Chrome.jpg

Droo78, brit, Edison Carter and 9 others like this.
  20. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

I'm not sure you want Randy handing out your CT, but if so I recommend making a lot of moderately uncomfortable jokes. One of them will stick eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.