The Daily Double.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by GAW9576, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Great shave today with a Ever-Ready 1914 and a Schick E2 V2 today.
    I'm also Loving the Wickham 1912 Irish Fern and the Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegital.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R and brit like this.
  2. GAW9576

I had a fantastic shave with 2 new to me razors yesterday but was having internet issues so I didn't get around to posting it till now.
    I used a 5th use Gem SS PTFE in both razors.
    Razor #1 Gem Damaskeen OC. WOW this razor is wonderful. Very Efficient and still very smooth. Several days growth were knocked down to SAS on the first pass were I used the OC Dammy. I did another pass and a half to get a very close shave.
    Razor #2 was used a little here and there to try it out and it did not disappoint. I'll have to do a full shave with it soon. On initial use it seems very efficient and smooth but not quite as efficient as the OC Dammy.
    I did get a little irritation on the sides of my Adams apple were the skin was already not exactly happy. However for me that has been par for the with any razor I've used when going for a very close shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Ron R and brit like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEMonday, Jan18th 2021, Well did not feel like missing a MMMonday(A.S.E monday) So to have a little fun decided a Daily double, I picked my easy going 1st Generation Featherweight VS my new 2nd generation Razorock Lupo .72. I let the Gem Featherweight have the tough whisker side and the RR Lupo.72 the other side with 24 hrs growth. Both razors are easy to handle on the face and have become some of my many favorites.
    Both are different in weight by quite a bit and my skill level is good enough to handle both issues with the RR Lupo is 3 times the weight of my Gem Feather weight(1OZ). First pass very similar in beard reduction, 2nd pass of on either side very similar again and then the pickups I was pleasantly surprized a tie on closeness. So did the feel test and I had a hard time with what side won- so out came the cottonball test and it also indicated a dead tie with no snagging of cotton. The Gem Feather had the odds against it (tough beard under chin side) but also I have used that razor many more times compared to the RR Lupo .72.
    So to conclude I had a different MMMonday with a little enjoyment for this shaving enthusiast.

Razor: Gem Feather weight 1st generation- MFG 1950-52, 2nd gen 1953-54, excellent razor, fun to use with great results.
    Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo .72 - Mfg 2021, excellent built razor and a joy to use with just 3 shaves in.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) excellent blade, very sharpe, great longevity and smooths out nicely & predictable.
    Blade: Gillette Astra SP (3) excellent blade Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
    Soap: Razorock XXX. very nice clean scent with excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Red zebra handle 26 mm knot- excellent lather creator with heavenly cloud like soft tips with a bit of back bone + excellent lather painter IMO.
    Pre shave: Brush washed my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups on each side of face with 2 different razors.
    Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG] excellent shave with my Gem Feather weight + Gem coated blade.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =[​IMG]excellent shave with my RR Lupo.72 + a Gillette Astra SP blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

brit and GAW9576 like this.
  4. GAW9576

Fine shave and pic @Ron R. I haven't been doing many doubles lately. Perhaps I should remedy that.

Ron R likes this.
  5. GAW9576

Just getting around to posting Friday's shave. Turned out very close and comfortable.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

brit likes this.
  6. GAW9576

So today I was pondering weather to join @ouchyfoot in a Push Button shave or go really old school along with @Tanuki with a Lather Catcher shave. Well I just couldn't decide. Then I did decide, on both. These two razors are near opposite ends of the Gems age spectrum. At first I thought this was going to be an Odd Couple pairing of razors but I was surprised how good these two look together.
    I used the Gem Junior Bar on the front of my neck and on my beard line and the Push Button on the back of my neck. This turned out to be a very close enjoyable shave.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

brit and Herm2502 like this.
  7. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

These days I made some doubles ...

RazoRock Hawk V2 Green Hulk
    vs
    Colonial Razors The General V1
    [​IMG]

FrankenRazor PP1489
    (Edwin Jagger DE89 Standard / Maggard Razors MR14 Aluminium Handle)
    vs
    FrankenRazor V3nom
    (Maggard V3 Standard Plus / Maggard Razors MR14 Aluminium Handle)
    [​IMG]

FrankenRazor PP1489
    (Edwin Jagger DE89 / Maggard Razors MR14 Aluminium Handle)
    vs
    Antichi Magazzini Giovanni Tafuri (CS) 36
    [​IMG]

Kasho Kai Captain R7 Pakka Special Edition Folding Razor (CAP-RW)
    vs
    Sapphoo KureNai G1105 Black
    [​IMG]

8. GAW9576

I went with a Gillette triple play today.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

9. brit

brit in a box

GAW9576 likes this.
  10. GAW9576

Thanks, it was a fun shave.

11. GAW9576

Well since @Electrif pointed out in another thread that today is the anniversary of the patent date of the wonderful 1912 razor I decided to join in on a celebratory shave.

IMG_27022021_193616_(1200_x_1118_pixel).jpg

Electrif likes this.
  12. ischiapp

Timeless Razor ALSB45
    VS
    FrankenRazor PP1489

[​IMG]

GAW9576 likes this.
  13. GAW9576

Who won?

14. ischiapp

As general performaces, it's an ex aequo.
    But PP1489 is waaaay cheper, so has better q/p ratio.

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. ischiapp

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    GAW9576 likes this.
  16. ischiapp

GAW9576 likes this.
  17. ischiapp

GAW9576 likes this.
  18. GAW9576

I owe a big thanks to @mayer57619 and @twhite for today's fantastic shave. These are some of the most beautiful razors. One Old one New but they share a common and uncommon beauty. Common to each other but uncommon in the razor world. I love the mixture of materials and the engraved lines in the springs. As well as the rivets holding the springs in place. The two razors have a very different feel in the hand as well as the blade feel while shaving. However both razors shaved very well. I feel very lucky to be trusted to have them on loan. They are both remarkable razors.

IMG_18032021_212444_(1145_x_1145_pixel).jpg

mayer57619 and twhite like this.
  19. GAW9576

Playing around with some more of the razors on loan from @twhite and @mayer57619 today.

IMG_20032021_170847_(1145_x_1145_pixel).jpg

twhite and mayer57619 like this.
  20. GAW9576

I had a great shave today with the Fuzzy Catcher by @twhite and the Schick type F on loan from @mayer57619. The Wickham Irish Fern lathered really well today. I love the scent of this soap. End result was a near BBS.

IMG_24032021_160224_(1099_x_1100_pixel).jpg

mayer57619 likes this.