Wilkinson's 7-day set. Experiences with it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mastropiero, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Mastropiero

Mastropiero Member

Hi everyone. I am currently waiting for a Wilkinson's 7-day set to arrive. I fell in love with it and just had to get ir. The only thing I'm not sure is whether it has the original strop or, should it have it, what state it would be in. In any case, this is easily fixable.

I was wondering if any of you guys has such razor, or similar ones as the Pall Mall.

Many thanks.
    Stefan

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you can hone the original blades to make them usable it should shave well. Sets I've seen came with a strop but using wider strop for a straight or using a modern substitute like balsa wood or newspaper is an option.

The Pall Mall I've used one before and can say they will take a modern Gem blade, shave was okay but nothing great. An original Wilkinson wedge blade that fits the Pall Mall should work better if honed right.

Mastropiero likes this.
  3. Mastropiero

Mastropiero Member

Well, here she is.

It just needs a bit if a cleanup and, to be fair, the strop has seen its share of battles. I might try to bring it back to life but, realistically, the better option is to have a new one custom made for the set.

Will get about honing the blades, their edges are quite dull at the moment. I have read on some forum about a single edge errr.... Can't figure out the correct word in English, apologies... I've seen some kind of antique metal sticks, you'd attach the blade onto the stick and that would make for comfortable honing, instead of having to do it using just your fingers. Doable, but cumbersome.

In any case, quite happy with my find. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The words you are looking for are are stropping handle or blade holder for stropping. They look like at shavette with a wedge blade attached used to hand strop the blades.

Hembree likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Hembree likes this.