Revisited the Gillette Sensor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by HoosierTrooper, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

I'm surprised how stupid adults can be sometimes, imaging having a sore face most of the day just to get one extra shave out of a cartridge :signs081:

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. Maestro

Maestro Member

I have also revisited the Gillette Sensor /excel of late. I purchased the excel blades from a local pharmacy. I have managed to purchase some NOS Gillette Sensor Blades (without the microfins) the efficacy of each is stark. The new excel blades lasts me 9 days whereas the sensor blades under identical circumstances last me three weeks. My conclusion : Gillette have done this intentionally to sell their latest gizmos

Boojum1 likes this.
  3. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Today I took out my old Sensor Excel handle and placed a Gillette brand Sensor blade and shaved an almost two day stubble. It had that rough but not uncomfortable feeling like a previous poster in this thread described. Unless the quality isn't what it used to be. Still I have to admit it didn't hurt and I had a DFS. I'm trying to remember how I felt about this razor in the 90's and early 2000's when I used it daily and I just can't remember. In those days I just blindly shaved and forgot about it!

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sounds like carbon blades...sharp but quickly becoming slightly tactile vs smooth, coated stainless.

5. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Interesting! That must be it. They must be carbon. I bought these branded Gillette blades way back in 2014 or so. Maybe they're not good anymore?

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No, they're probably still fine if they were kept sealed or at least dry. I still have carbon blades from the 1930s that were kept dry and sealed -- they've kept the edge they had the beginning. It just doesn't last because, well, carbons don't.

You're right, "rough but not uncomfortable" is a perfect way to describe a carbon blade shave, even when new.

7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thank you, very interesting information! (Mine are no longer sealed but were kept dry)