Stripping for re-plate or polish

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Old School, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've got a few DIY plating kits, silver, nickle, and copper and I'm now researching prep, specifically stripping the plating.
    I've seen comments on boiling w/vinegar and water with mixed results.
    I saw a comment elsewhere "oven cleaner works well", with no comments or specifics.
    One 2013 thread was revived in 2019 with the comment "you need to reverse the electroplating process, a laptop charger works great"...again without details or a response to follow up comments asking for them.

I guess I should have led with the question...Does anyone know of a good DIY to remove plating w/o ordering chemicals that will put you on a government list lol?

I'm planning on replating 3 slims and a fatboy for fun and to re-home...hopefully with enough "profit" to justify funding more of the same projects. Save the razors!

edited to add I've got plenty of super speeds and spare parts to start with before ruining an adjustable lol!

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Try muriatic acid. It is sold at home depot or lowes as concrete cleaner.

You should be able to do it electrically by reversing the current in the plating process.

3. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    There's the million $ question. HOW does one reverse the process?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

4. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

The easiest way is to buy the nickel stripper they sell at Brownell's. It does have to be disposed of as hazardous waste, but it will strip the nickel and leave you with clean brass. The second best way is diluting battery acid half and half with distilled water and 30 mL per L of glycerin. You need lead cathodes and a sturdy power supply. Strip the razor as an annode paying very close attention to when the nickel is gone. It will attack the brass as soon as the last of the nickel goes away.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

He uses a 50/50 mix of sulphuric acid to water solution with a 12 volt car battery. You should be able to substitute the muriatic acid for sulphuric. Just do it in a well ventilated place.

MrEE likes this.
  6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    For now I've got one soaking in easy off oven cleaner. Going to give it 2 hours and check back.

7. MrEE

I've done it with deluted Sulfuric Acid and 30 grams per L of glycerin which helps prevent pitting of the brass substrate.

These are pictures of when I stripped my own razors.

You can use other acids as suggested but they'll interact differently with the brass underneath and may cause pitting.

PSX_20210309_080448.jpg PSX_20210309_080426.jpg PSX_20210309_080506.jpg

This method is not difficult and battery acid is only about $8 at an auto parts store.

ischiapp and Old School like this.
  8. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Don't know if I'm happy or sad to report this Fatboy cleaned up so nicely that it's no longer a candidate for replating... even the paint is still 90% there.
    Think I'll move this one on as an original preservation!
    [​IMG]

MrEE likes this.
  9. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've got a nice dc power supply. Recommended voltage and current?

10. MrEE

I just used a 12V car charger at 12V and 10 amps. It cooked the plating off in about 30 seconds. Now I'd recommend using a max of 3 or 4 amps.

I haven't electro stripped since I purchased a chemical nickel stripper. Much much nicer than generating all that H2 gas and having to cut the power before it starts oxidizing the brass.

11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    For the record Easy Off had no effect after 2 hours. It did clean the grime off, I guess that's some effect lol.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Why do you really need to strip off old nickel plating, just to re-nickel plate something?? I have done some home nickel plating of razors, years ago, and as long as you polish the razor out smooth, it will work fine. Just sand and polish out the areas that are marred up, and plate it.

MrEE likes this.
  13. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

There are different types of plating solutions, one will stick to nickel the other won’t.

MrEE likes this.