3D printed razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is cool. What printer did you get?

SlimGem likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is Qidi x-maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SlimGem and BBS like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Did you get the standard one or one of the higher priced ones that can do high temperature printing?

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The standard. Got it from an acquaintance for $100. He bought it from somebody that never used it. As the fan quit working right away. My friend fixed it and offered it to me.

He just bought a Prusa.

SlimGem and richgem like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Nice deal at $100. I was looking at their pro models as an option since they can do high temp carbon fiber which means I can print replaceable parts for industrial stuff without having to wait forever to order a $2 after markup maybe 30 cents prior to part and pay $10 shipping on it.
    I don't think the standard ones can do high temp even with a capable extruder because they aren't fully enclosed.

The QIDI pro plus or max from what I am reading is essentially a makerbot knockoff at about the 3rd of the price.

SlimGem and twhite like this.
  6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here is the first print. I need to fix the insert that holds the blade. I must have saved the wrong file. This has a zero blade exposure

I will print a new one with a .010 exposure to see how it shaves. I won’t waste any time gluing in the magnets until I get the correct insert printed.

This was printed with a .8mm resolution. It took a total of 2hrs45min. [​IMG][​IMG]

Hembree, Electrif, Jayaruh and 7 others like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Side shot[​IMG]

Hembree, Electrif, Jayaruh and 6 others like this.
  8. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

Very cool design!

Hembree likes this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you it was literally just a doodle on Thursday at lunch. By this morning I had a sample in hand.

Hembree, gorgo2, riverrun and 2 others like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know if you realize it or not but that is a one size fits all modular handle design. You have the equivalent of a cart design for the base plate but with the flexibility to customize the gap and exposure by tweaking the print dimensions. You can even tweak the blade angle by adjusting the levelness of the baseplate where the blade sits.

Hembree, gorgo2, riverrun and 2 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Haha. Funny how that works. I did not think of changing the blade angle. I like that take on the possibilities.

I could even use half DE Blades also I suppose.

I might add ribs to the bottom of the handle if I find it needs it. I am one that keeps my hand and razor handle dry while shaving. So it really won’t be an issue for me. I will experiment with that.

SlimGem, Hembree, Electrif and 3 others like this.
  12. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

SlimGem, Hembree, ischiapp and 2 others like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hembree and twhite like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That looks like it will work nicely. HA! I just noticed the tost3.com cup. Nice touch.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Might want to invest in one of these to keep the filaments dry and clean since they are hydroscopic and absorb water easily.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P3BWHPJ/?tag=thshde-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C9RZPMN/?tag=thshde-20

Another thing to consider is annealing the plastics especially PLA to make them stronger. Just need to resize the prints to deal with shrinkage once you work out a repeatible process.

SlimGem, ischiapp and twhite like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some more filament storage options and things to ensure good structural prints.
    https://all3dp.com/2/filament-storage-3d-printer/
    I think the best option for bulk filament storage is pet food container with desiciant.

Also of importance is keeping the filament clean during printing if you don't enclose the reels.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190118

SlimGem and twhite like this.
  17. SlimGem

Here's what's been in the works lately. This is a combination of several of my designs. When I designed the triceratops, the idea was to make it easy to print without supports, but really, it was meant to look like a mini J A Henckels Rapide. And my EndGem design started as a C V Heljestrand SE. This is as close as I'm going to get to duplicating two of my favorites. Unlike the Rapide which uses a threaded knob and spring at the collar for locking the blade, this one uses the tip of the thread to push the tension lever against the blade when you turn the handle. The pics below are just a draft version. Once I refined the geometry for optimal printing without supports, I'll upload the files on Thingiverse.

Minimalist GEM Razor v3a.jpg

Minimalist GEM Razor v3c.jpg

Minimalist GEM Razor v3b.jpg

Minimalist GEM Razor v3d.jpg

Joshua223, ischiapp, Electrif and 2 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I love the triceratops. Will the handles be interchangeable?

SlimGem likes this.
  19. SlimGem

The handles share the same thread but at different lengths. I'll see if I can modify the design so it will work with the Triceratops. The handle on this new design is very similar to the Rapide. I have other designs that share a very similar handle to the triceratops. If I get around to it, I'll upload all of the handles that can be interchangeable with the triceratops or the SE adjustable. By the way Jim, I haven't forgotten about the injector design. Still a working progress.

20210325_211053.jpg

20210325_210322.jpg

20210325_210827.jpg

macaronus, gorgo2, ischiapp and 3 others like this.
  20. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

That handle looks very similar to your 3 plate adjustable handle.
    Looks great in metallic.

SlimGem likes this.