What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

What a cool piece!

Steve56, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you sir!

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Touch up on a 8/8 DD Goldedge with a mystery hone. Don’t know what the stone is but I am digging what it did to the Duck

C4C767BC-F5A6-4650-99BF-0A27EAF4DE4E.png

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Just playing with the stones again, this time a nice mizu asagi (water blue) and my user-grade F14 test razor, tomo is a huge pure asagi from Takeshi. I’ll have a niice fresh edge for the Sunday morning shave.

8E2087C7-CA83-4D42-9106-7D4CD4958606.jpeg

5. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Really enjoying the Charnley Forest edges lately, so took a couple of Pumas through the progression... maybe :)

Definitely a Puma 52, but I also think this Diamond mark with a “37”’inside is tied to the Puma brand.

Switched out the Naniwa 4k Hayabusa for the Suehiro 6k, so went Suehiro 1k to Naniwa 4k to Naniwa 8k and the the Charnley Forest.

C1C3A694-C5C2-4EB2-88A2-C10A0E00F86A.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Nice collection in for work and honing

Had to do a ReRegrind on the Kamisori
    Toe fix on one of the Friodur that was dropped

Some sweet Solingen and Japanese steel today

[​IMG]

7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A 8/8 Wilhelm Mandt on my favorite Coticule for a fabulous Saturday nite shave

33A9990C-72BC-4D28-BB2D-113C6539DAA9.jpeg

8. TestDepth

Mann & Federlein 14 & a Heljestrand MK31
    Sticking with the Suehiro 1k to Naniwa 4k Then 8k, finishing with the Charnley Forest.
    FD595C08-5125-4EAB-BE5F-0A92953F775B.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

Karl G, lottenhem, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  9. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Great razors

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  10. TestDepth

Thank you Claude... 2 of my favorite designs - the “14” and the MK series.

Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

M.K. and 14, that’s a hard pair to beat Tom!

I’m starting a honing experiment, actually an edge test on different hones. I have a reason for doing this, but am not going to bore the forum with a blow-by-blow of the progressing results.

I had honed up a nice user-grade Novodur 14 with a softer iro bench stone that gives some of the smoothest edges that I’ve ever shaved with, simply amazing really. I wasn’t planning on doing an edge longevity test, but ticked off the shaves on a 3x5 card next to the strop, and by shave 32 the edge was lacking. I’d gotten ~65 out of a Doble Temple and a Cape Swedish Steel, and 153 out of a Sub Cero. But all the other three were finished with the same stone and tomo, a hard barber size orangish asagi. Some time abo, Alex Gilmore commented to me in an email about the edge life being related to the stone, but the comment was made in passing. I have an email off to him now asking for more information if he has it.

So I’ve refinished the Novodur on the barber asagi and the Sub Cero on the iromono, and in time we shall see the verdict.

8257E04A-728B-457A-A267-6711BFF19C51.jpeg 457049A2-82FB-4002-A56B-35B7DF6F4A0E.jpeg

12. Claude Stewart

Great post

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Claude!

Karl G likes this.
  14. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Which one do you prefer of those two?
    Hans

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  15. TestDepth

The beauty of the Heljestrand puts it over the top for me. The 14 is a more comfortable in hand, but I can’t take my eyes off the MK31. :love055:
    Tom

Karl G, Steve56 and lottenhem like this.
  16. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Yes they are beautiful! I have 2 MK No.31. Absolutely favourites besides the MK no. 30 from CVH.
    Both with Ivory scales.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

17. TestDepth

They are gorgeous Hans... Great examples!
    :eatdrink047:

Karl G and lottenhem like this.
  18. Claude Stewart

Two today.

The first; 3/8 Timor Giesen & Forsthoff Germany Solingen G&I. Not sure when this razor was made. Info I looked for only said they were a sound razor in the 20's to 50's. But, quality dropped later. Anyone know how to date it?

She cleaned up nicely. Took an edge with little fanfare. I'll see if it can provide a good shave and hold its edge tomorrow.

timor.jpg

Second up is a 13/16" Blade-CeKa Works-Pwllheli N. Wales-KAM. German Solingen made for an English tool work company. I think.

A bit tougher for this one. It had a few nicks at the toe. They took a bit longer to hone out. But, The 400 to 15000 grit whetstones finally put a nice edge on her.

KAM.JPG

ceka.jpg

timor ceka.jpg

Karl G, TestDepth, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  19. Claude Stewart

Beautiful DobleDuck. Love the wide blade.

Karl G, TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’m not one who hones his own razors but I do touch them up from time to time. Some years ago I bought a full set of lapping film in case I ever wanted to try honing a full progression. Never happened. But yesterday I looked at the edge on my Filly and found some black rust and chips had formed. They didn’t come out on the 5 micron lapping film so I took the plunge and went to the 15 micron and back down from there. :scared003:

Today’s shave with the improved edge was wonderful, smooth and close with minimal touch ups. I’m calling it a success :happy088: But, I’ll still send the blade out to @gssixgun sometime in the near future. I left some very small microchips and a bit of a second bevel on one side near the toe. It was a good first effort but I could have spent more time on it than I did. I guess that’s why I don’t hone - more patience and skill needed than what I have or motivated to develop. My hat’s off to all of you :)

AEB2BE85-AD4A-4E8C-86B3-9BB79D40279C.jpeg