Trouble with Razors Edge?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Claude Stewart, Mar 21, 2021.

1. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, yeah sometimes it feels almost impossible to get a razor sharp. Right now I have a CVH MK No. 8 that I struggle with. More information soon...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Sometimes they just don’t want to cooperate.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Yes. But the agony of defeat stings.... :scared011:

Karl G likes this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Defeat is a temporary thing with straight razors!

Karl G and Primotenore like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not at all anywhere near proficient at honing ( I have had successes and failures), but I have discovered that certain blades are easier to hone than others. That's nothing new to the experts, but it was a revelation to me.

Hogie, Karl G, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  6. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Well, after the failed shave, I decided to remove the edge and start over. Just in case I was still following the old edge geometry. Only a thought.

I started with the 400 grit stone. Working my way slowly to a completely new geometry. What I found was this.

In the pics below, they're exaggerated but its what the edge shows; the white coloring is how the edge was taking shape. High on the toe of the left side of the blade.

American Geneva1.jpg

and high on the heel of the right side of the blade.

American Geneva.jpg

The only thing this tells me is perhaps an object was stored on the razor and it warped the blade into a S??? I can't notice it under a magnifier but what else can explain high points on opposite sides and opposite ends of the razor?

Trying to understand but, I have limited knowledge with this dilemma.

Thanks for taking the time.

Karl G, Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s true, even with the same brand and model - SR are all hand made and each one is a product of a human hand. I imagine that manufacturers had high end products and lower end products, and the low end required more honing work. Good finish honing would have been a good part of the labor.

I have 3 of the Herder 49s (7/8) that were selling cheap on eBay for a while, great razors but they had Gold Dollar bevels, obviously spine off the hone. It took hours as I wanted these to be good and went slowly. I went down to a 500 grit stone. Recently I was the lucky recipient of a NOS Filarmonica 14 Novodur. The bevel set on a 4k stone and the difference between it and the the Herders in factory edge preparation was night and day.

Karl G, Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Looks like the blade has a twist to it. You can still hone it, you’ve done the hard part, figuring the geometry out. Now figure out the stroke that you need to hone it. Maybe on the corner of a stone, narrow hone, etc.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

At this point, I suggest you send it off to someone who knows how to properly evaluate your blade.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Like Glen Said.Its Just Down to GYMNASTICS ..Honing Gymnastics is Not Necessary a Definite Named Stroke..Its the Art of Knowing & Feeling on the Hones & Of Course Experience on the Hones..Its Does Not Take Much to Throw Off the Inexperienced or Even when One thinks they are Experienced..Oh Aye,,Forget Awe that Convex Hone Pish..:happy097:

Thee is a an Old Martial Arts Saying by the Gung Fu Masters..There are NO SECRETS..The Learning is in the Practice..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edison Carter, Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yep. What he said. :signs011:
    Learn with the tried and true hones, not the latest greatest gizmo hones, with a bump in the middle of them.

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Yeah what he said.

Billyfergie likes this.