3D printed razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Those designs are looking mighty fine.

SlimGem likes this.
  2. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the same handle. I hope the adjustable is working out for you. :)

Electrif likes this.
  3. Electrif

Electrif Well-Known Member

Yes it's working fine. Thanks for asking. Knew you had more designs up your sleeve. Call it the Raptor ;)

SlimGem likes this.
  4. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

Lol. Raptor it is.

Leo K. and Electrif like this.
  5. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Did you ever try it with a injector blade?

Jayaruh and SlimGem like this.
  6. jaro

What is the status of this razor ?

twhite likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, I did. It works fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SlimGem, gorgo2 and jaro like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I need to print a few out next week. I did 1 but was not at all happy with the results. Way too rough for my liking. I need to mess around with settings and orientation to get a good build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jaro likes this.
  9. jaro

Thank you for the reply.I will have to print one then..

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. jaro

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to being able to try one someday.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    twhite likes this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I printed this razor. Worked nicely. My only problem was after taking the blade in and out after several shaves. The top of the handle that secures the blade compressed some and the blade no longer was held tightly.

A quick trip to the garage and a small piece of brass shim and I am back in business.

Great looking razor and excellent design. Nice shave to boot. What’s not to like about this.

SlimGem, jaro and cliffb599 like this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That will be entirely up to @BBS as it is his project. I am just trying to make something presentable to send him.

jaro likes this.
  13. jaro

Ok sorry I changed my original post...thanks.

twhite likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Don’t worry about it. All GOOD.

jaro likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Seems with that design it is either not quite there or over the top aggressive. I think it should be on the not quite there side to make it usable for the most amount of people. That would be the original design parameters. Unfortunately with the samples I have I already over opened the gaps up and both are uber aggressive like a shavette and rake all in one. I probably will offer them up with an at your own risk about excessive blood loss and bodily dismemberment.

twhite likes this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will print some up for you to tinker with this weekend. I think very fine layers are needed for this design. Then finding a good support layout that does not destroy the bottom side of razor.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should be getting a printer soon enough, gonna let Uncle Sam pay for it or I'd have bought one already. The other thing I am looking into and you probably should also if you print enough stuff is a filament extruder. Pellets are significantly cheaper than filament wire and as long as you get it dialed you can make filament that is high quality. It like most tools is one of those things that eventually pays for itself with enough use in the long run.

SlimGem and twhite like this.
  18. jaro

You can also take small leftover pieces of filament and also bad prints and grind them up and make " new " filament from them with one of those filament makers..

SlimGem and twhite like this.
  19. jaro

I would definitely try printing one since I already have a 3d printer when I can get the stl and giving my feedback to you also..

twhite likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If your printer can handle it I think Delrin/ Acetal / POM filament is the way to go for razors since it doesn't absorb moisture unlike some of the other plastics. Only issue I've read it is not an easy plastic to work with to get good quality prints. I've seen the filament go for not much more than PLA about $5 difference for a 1 kg roll. Only issue with that is almost no one seems to have it in stock at 1.75mm diameter widths
    https://all3dp.com/2/pom-acetal-delrin-3d-printing/

SlimGem likes this.