Russian Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Oct 5, 2016.

1. aheyev

aheyev New Member

Official name of this razor "Barber razor #1". Made by Trud factory, Vacha. This is special professional barber razor. There were few numbers which means size = usage by barber for different purposes.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Steve56, DaltonGang and cristiss like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks guys. I can now properly name the razor, and change my post.
    @aheyev , there is a number 3 stamped on the tail of this razor.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. aheyev

aheyev New Member

Number on tail is a technical production stamp.
    Such razors are quite rare. If I am not mistaken it was not possible to buy these series in ordinary shop.
    Instagram: @razorssoviet

4. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

Alright, after reading all 30 pages of this post you guys have me hooked. Waiting on my first shave ready razor from Sylver Steel. I'll get a russian razor as a back up and to practise my honing. The one I'm buying from Sam is a sight unseen, so I'll see how I'm getting on with that. I'm an Irishman living in Korea so I'm guessing shipping will be a pain in the arse.

5. DaltonGang

If you are familiar with straight razors, then you know not to get your hopes up, on it being shave ready. Start looking for someone to hone it now, just in case.
    The Russians make some great steel, for their razors. If you have any Pics of it, please post. Congrats on purchasing a Russian Razor.

6. IrateIrishman

IrateIrishman New Member

I'm gonna get it after Christmas. I'm still waiting on my other one to be shipped and there's a limit on how much I can import in one go vefore it's taxed unfortunately.

Karl G, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  7. DaltonGang

@Keithmax should be able to tell you all about import and export taxes and such, to and from S. Korea. You are in S.Korea, not N.Korea, right?? You didnt specify. I wouldn't want Little Kim to disappear you. :shocked003:

Keithmax, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@IrateIrishman

Shipping via the postal service is the best way, DHL and Fedex are a nightmare in Korea. If it’s through the postal system you won’t even need to provide you customs number. I have never had an issue with shaving gear, they are looking for designer goods.
    PM me if you need any help.

9. DaltonGang

It's time for some new Russians. I think I have a couple to include, when I get back in town.

10. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

Long time since I checked into this thread, got this ZTV 1958 winging it's way to me... The only Soviet razors I've had previously were both Stiz so will be very interested to see how this supposedly superior model performs, it certainly looks the part.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

11. DaltonGang

Vey nice. :happy088:

12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Great Commie Steel Razors..Rare in that Kinda Nick..Great Shavers..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

esvh, Karl G and Dr Watson like this.
  13. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

download.png

esvh, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

esvh, Dr Watson and Karl G like this.
  15. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

Update on my latest purchase:

Sigh... eBay seller's selective photography strikes again! A razor which appeared to be NOS arrives with a frown, a bevel which looks like the Suez canal and a fracture running the entire length of the blade.

IMG_20210330_111206-01.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Keithmax, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  16. aheyev

aheyev New Member

This turbid streak could be a sign of new razor. Actually there was a final production process "thermoelectrical sharpening". If it is nor mechanical damage (could not clearly specify from photo) than this is result of this activity.

17. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

Interesting, perhaps it could be a factory quirk... The bevel is quite prominent and there is a slight frown to the edge and yet there is no hone wear to the shoulder so I do get the feeling it may have left the factory like this.

I'll see if I can send it to the Scottish ninja to take a look at it and see what he thinks. Ridiculously I don't own a loupe so cannot say for sure what's going on with it.

esvh, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  18. aheyev

aheyev New Member

So this is a one of the identifications of new or rare used razor.

esvh, Karl G and Dr Watson like this.
  19. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Member

You've really cheered me up with this knowledge, thank you. I was feeling pretty bummed about this but if you're correct (and I think you are) then I owe the seller an apology!

esvh and Karl G like this.
  20. DaltonGang

My guess for the frown and the huge bevel would be excessive honing pressure.