1959 195 E3 Gillette Fatboy on Order!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by awk-m4, Apr 5, 2021.

1. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I recently won a Gillette Fatboy on Ebay. I'm really looking forward for it to arrive in the mail so I can shave with it. I'm a daily shaver (Head and throat) and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which setting I ought to start with.

For context my current razors are:
    Merkur 34HD
    Mulhe R89 Twist.

Blades in my rotation (Ranked in order of effectiveness):
    Feather
    Personna Platinum
    Astra Superior Staineless
    Derby Extra

Regards
    awk-m4

jimjo1031, wristwatchb and Hembree like this.
  2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    9 with a Feather blade. Go big or go home.

Hembree and awk-m4 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'd start with 5 ..... that way you can make the call to move or down as needed. Also use a blade you're use to, so as to remove variables in your shave.

:eatdrink013:

jimjo1031, brit, Ron R and 3 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup

Hembree and awk-m4 like this.
  5. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Slight correction, the model is E4 not E3. I took the phot of the auction I won and am using that as my avatar. It was this past fall when I would say that shaving became a hobby which BTW my wife thinks I'm crazy! She couldn't believe that I would actually by a used razor. The way I explained it is that when going to the salon they don't use new equipment for everyone. As long as everything is sanitized it's all good.

Paul D

brit, Hembree and Enrico like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just remind her the important part ( the blade ) is new that is being used. They've been re-using equipment for decades at the dentist and doctors with no issues.

:eatdrink013:

awk-m4 likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yup

awk-m4 likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The E is the production year which is 1959 and 1 - 4 is production quarter of the year. They are the same model regardless of quarter or year when in comes to Fat Boys as far as they shave. I'd remind the wife that a razor is just another tool like a hammer. A used hammer will hammer a nail just as well as a new one if it is in good working order. The blades like the nails are the consumable here. Those you buy unused. The sanitizing portion of the process is easy also so unless you have an aversion to using what is called D.P.R.s (dead people's razors) it should be a nonissue. The easier option though is to get her a vintage Gillette Ladies starburst razor and new pack of blades so she can experience wet shaving first hand. Offer to shave her with it if she is skeptical.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    awk-m4, Enrico and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yep I endorse this post. Start in the middle and use a blade that is sharp enough for the razor if you don't already have a prefered blade. To do that I suggest you get a sampler or buy some singles over at tryablade.com

On the sharpest side of the spectrum would be a Feather blade and mildest side something like a Dorco stainless steel blade. Use both at 5 to feel the difference in blades then do the same dialing up or down depending your preference on the adjustment dial. Do the same then dial in the blade(s) you want to use.

awk-m4 and brit like this.
  10. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

11. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing your insight! No issues with using D.P.R's. In fact I would love if it belonged to Casey Stengle. I noticed he endorsed the product. Even though I'm born and raised north of the 49th I bleed Yankee blue. :)
    As for sanitizing the seller performed an utrasonic cleaning along with barbicide so I'll just give it a quick wash and drop a blade in! I feel like a kid in a candy store!
    Paul

Enrico likes this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Good rule of thumb when you buy used razors is to soak them in hot, not boiling soapy water when you first get them regardless of what the seller tells you. Dawn dish detergent works great. Use a toothbrush if it needs to be scrubbed. That should be more than enough to clean it up and a initial sanitizing before using.

awk-m4 likes this.
  13. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you! As for sanitizing in your opinion Isopropyl Alcohol something you would recommend?

Enrico likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sure ..... I also use to keep the soap scum from building up.

awk-m4 likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yeah that works fine for a disinfect make sure it is submerged and sits for about I think 10 minutes. The key with regular usage is to keep the razor heads and blades dry between uses. That will keep them from developing any nasties between shaves. Shake the water off and if you want as extra step dip the razor head with blade in some isopropyl alcohol to displace the excess moisture and if you let it sit long enough also disinfect. Once done let air dry and that is it.

Ron R likes this.
  16. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you for that! In my case I'm one and done as far as blades are concerned because I find that head shaving really takes all a blade has to offer on the first shot. Digressing a bit: Feather's are expensive so I tried stretching them but I found it just wasn't worth it. I really tried to like Derby due to their attractive price point but they just don't give me acceptable results.

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Try Bic blades, they work in everything for me. Also, do not Google used Fatboy disassembly if you are weak in the stomach!

awk-m4 likes this.
  18. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I can just imagine! I will have to google that!

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Agreed the Bic Chrome Platinum blades are my go to blade I use in DE razors.

awk-m4 likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am not a head shaver but from everything I read in the comments it seems head shaving burns out blades quicker than just face and throat shaving. Maybe you want to allocate one of your razors for the head and the other for the face and throat so this way instead of throwing out all you blades after single shave only throw out the ones used on the head. The others should get you 3 - 6 good shaves if you only stick to one side of the blade during your shave. For me anyways I can get 6 good shaves, 3 on each side of the blade and sometimes 8, 4 on each side of the blade depending the razor. Those being 5 passes each shave on the face and throat.