Gillette Tuck Away Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by myles wilson, Jan 17, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not definitive based upon all that but the most likely reason for the change. We can say if it brought anything new and didn't correct a flaw they would have been singing it's praises in national ads which they weren't.

brit likes this.
  2. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

In one of the many court cases regarding their New design and slotted blades, someone, iirc Thompson (the designer) confessed that the narrower shoulder was invented to reduce blade cracking. It didn't worked out.
    Fun fact, the narrow New improved head and New Deluxe/Lc combs have the exact same geometry.

BBS, myles wilson and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is a 1928 - 1929 New standard set with shipper. The razor is a 2pc or 3pc depending your definition and you can tell it is the later 126 redesign by looking at the razor head.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jayaruh, brit and myles wilson like this.
  4. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

1922 New Improved Tuckaway
    w/Razorock Barber Pole handle

20210126_204012_20210126215403725.jpg

Enrico, Jayaruh, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

awesome shave and pic Mike..:cool:

Aztecmike likes this.
  6. Aztecmike

Aztecmike George

Thanks Gary. I really enjoyed the New Improved shave using this handle. ;)

brit likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I had mine rhodium plated.
    IMG_2525.JPG Tuckaway_11.JPG Tuckaway_15.jpg

8. brit

brit in a box

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

bet it was well balanced..:)

Aztecmike likes this.
  10. SteveD

SteveD New Member

I recently picked up a beautiful gold Tuckaway that has markings on the case and top of the razor that look like G P and have 1878 and 1928 dates on the case stamp in the middle and on the head of the razor. Does anyone know if this is a 50th anniversary edition? There is no SN on the razor and there were two blades inside the blade holder, one showing 2266 & the other 2267. Hope to have pics to upload soon. Thanks

brit, Jayaruh and myles wilson like this.
  11. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Hello Gents,
    New to the forum, found this thread trying to look up a new acquisition, see photos. I have not been able to find anything on this particular Tuckaway. Based on all I have found on Tuckaways, this "could" be a 50th Anniversary edition (1878 1928 marking)? Any and all feedback would be appreciated. (sorry for the amateur pics) Thanks, Steve

Case resize.jpg Inside Case a resize.jpg Top resize.jpg Bottom a.jpg

brit likes this.
  12. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

neat, never seen one like that though.

13. brit

brit in a box

awesome set..:cool:

myles wilson likes this.
  14. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Mystery solved on the Tuckaway set. Gillette has an archives department and they were very prompt to respond to my questions on my set. They advised that Gillette was started in 1901 so no go on the 50th anniversary theory. They said that they offered to engrave the cases and the razor heads for their purchasers so likely this was custom engraved for either a 50th birthday or anniversary. They advised they charged 35 to 75 cents for engraving the case and 40 to 50 cents to engrave the top of the razor. Since the second date is 1928, I can reasonably infer that my case was made in that year. Now I know a bit more on my set, don't think I will be able to find out who GP is or what the occasion was, but none the less, still a cool story. Thought I'd share this with you gents. Happy shaving.

BBS and PanChango like this.
  15. romsitsa

Nice, machine engraving is rare or at least I didn't see too many except for low priced ball end sets used for advertising.
    The razor and case looks to be nickel plated? Also interesting that the liner look original but completely lacks the Gillette diamond.

Adam

16. SteveD

SteveD New Member

Adam, bad photos, set is gold plated, and in great condition. I also noted the inside liner didn't have the usual logo, and on close inspection, I can't discern if it ever did, no worn markings at all. I believe the liner is original though, cut to size and top and bottom match.

17. romsitsa

Ah, ok, so gold. The liner is original or look exactly like the original and there should be some sign of the diamond if it ever had one. There are many personalised sets with minor differences, it’s possible that one could place special orders with Gillette.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The liner could be original since it is a custom monogrammed case. Take a wiff of it after dampening it. Let it air dry afterwards. As noted on the case 1928 is certainly a valid manufacture date since those razors were still in production then. See my post on the first page for the difference between the 106 and 126 style razor heads for this razor. If it is a 126 then you know for sure the razor is no earlier than 1928. As far as the engraving goes that could be some sort of club or company gift. If you want to research it out further check some trademark databases for the US.