What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took the rescaled Max Dorner through a progression of Suehiro 1k, Naniwa 4k then 8k, finished with the pictured Thuringian.
    DB6F324C-4001-4144-86E5-7A92AC002610.jpeg
    Haven’t picked a razor for this evening... let’s give it a spin.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Just a touch up, the Rugby 1072 Fenix steel on one of Alex Gilmore’s hoard koppa, an excellent razor stone. One of the rarer stones in that it does not absorb water. I have a couple more that don’t absorb water, but it is uncommon, and they haven’t been used with oil or honing solution.

1C63A1D1-92DE-438D-A015-720BA9A647D9.jpeg

3. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

nice rock

TestDepth likes this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Tim!

TestDepth likes this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The CKTG stone de ided to become tomo, and I am happy with the decision. The longest edge was just a bit longer than a Normal western razor, so it was difficult to hone on, but the material was truly exceptional, super fast, super fine, and not stupid hard. The two in the center aren’t smoothed yet. I tried one out last night with a known good stone and my Filly 14 user, and it shaved exceptionally well this morning.

0C7F4591-9F75-4CD5-B192-8A9F550A456C.jpeg 9D9D64CC-C8E0-41F7-9E1F-978ED93564A8.jpeg

6. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Wow, she’s a Beauty!

lottenhem and Steve56 like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Claude!

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wade & Butcher
    "Special"
    Sheffield England
    11/16++ inch
    Extra Hollow Ground

Easy to hone, and a very straight razor. Finished on Welsh Slate Stones 8k 12k 15k, and a nice Eschers Thuringian. Exceptionally sharp, from heel to toe.
    The razor is very very shiny, except for my thumb print. Oops.
    P4051529.JPG

Keithmax, Steve56, lottenhem and 4 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

W.H.Morley & Son's "Victor"
    Clover Brand
    Germany
    11/16th Full Hollow

This took a little time, on the Bevel. Straight as can be, but the bevel needed a good reset. Straight forward from there. Welsh Slate Stones and the Eschers Thuringian, to finish.

P4051532.JPG

10. DaltonGang

C-MON Special
    Peter J.Michels Inc
    13/16+ Extra hollow Bellied
    Brooklyn NY
    Made in Germany

This took little work, even though it was a ratty looking razor, when I got it. It took on a killer edge. When finished the same as the razors above. I am somewhat happy with this one, because I haven't run into a C-MON, of this size. They are usually much smaller.
    P4051528.JPG

11. Claude Stewart

very nice set of razors, Dalton.

Brickman301 and DaltonGang like this.
  12. DaltonGang

:thanks:

13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice razors Scott!

Continuing to test the new stone, this time with a tomo instead of a diamond plate. This is also why I haven’t been posting SOTDs, testing stones is kind of boring though it must be done.

9D3939F8-F7C3-4EE5-A743-1E8F818605D1.jpeg

14. DaltonGang

15. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

CVH No.8, it was a mess that I bought for 15$. Splints in the edge. Had to grind down the blade approx 2mm. Not that sharp yet, another round on the 10K Satake stone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

16. Claude Stewart

looking very nice!

TestDepth, Steve56 and lottenhem like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here’s a couple of projects I’ve been working on, from the ‘do later’ drawer.

Top is a fugly Wostenholm frameback, a real frameback with a single piece blade with a piece swedged on top of it. It had a chip in it that had to be removed which I did with a mellow 325 diamond plate, and before I went any further I honed it up to make sure it would take and hold an edge. And boy did it. It shaves like a million bucks. What I haven’t done yet if make the edge profile follow the spine, the edge is pretty straight from the chip removal and I figured that I could do that whenever I chose. But the squarish heel is great for trimming around the moustache and the razor will never be worth much, so I’m kind of inclined to leave it as-is. Opinions Scott, Glen?

The other looks like a nice M.K. 31, but it’s a M.K. 32 with moderate wear on it, it actually measures 11/16 from the edge to the spine wear at the toe. I re-profiled the heel with a diamond plate as Marty and Oz describe over on SRP, and re-shaped the toe to make it rounded like an M.K. originally was. Other than a slight smile which I did not want to brute force out, it pretty much is a M.K. 31.

A864EDE3-1406-4F2C-B2A2-8E683C447262.jpeg

18. Claude Stewart

Nice work, Steve.

TestDepth and Steve56 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Claude!

TestDepth likes this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor