Anyone familiar with this manufacturer.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Claude Stewart, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Gottlieb Hammesfahr.

Wondering if its worth the time and money needed to straighten the blade to make it shave ready?

Don't need a specific value but, just if its actually worth it.

Thanks

GH.jpg

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

The general rule for me is if the blade was made in Solingen, The quality of steel makes it worth saving, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Karl G likes this.
  3. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Not familiar with the brand, but "straighten the blade"? :confused: I don't think I have seen a bent blade before, but if you have one, I don't think she's coming back!

Karl G likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Straighten the blade???

Karl G likes this.
  5. Claude Stewart

The blade seems to be warped in the middle. Like a very shallow C. Pretty new at this. Not sure how to bring a blade back to being straight.

Almost the same problem I had with my razor - America by Geneva Cutlery

GH2.jpg

GH1.jpg

Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  6. Mr. Oldschool

Okay, I think our terminology is getting confused. If you hold the razor on its spine and look down the thinnest view of the blade, is that curved? If it is, that would be warpage, which almost never happens. Razors are made of very hard steel and break rather than bend. If it is what you appear to be describing, that is what we call a frown. It comes from honing with too much constant pressure in the center of the blade, among other causes. It isn't good, but your razor doesn't appear to have a severe frown. It should be able to be honed out, but if you are new, I would strongly recommend outsourcing this to one of the numerous hone-meisters that call this forum home. You might put feelers out for who is nearest to your neck of the woods to see who to go with. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to do a corrective hone until you've successfully done a few easier ones.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    PLANofMAN, Steve56, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Claude Stewart

Did that. Showed the frown right away.

Thanks for the video. Excellent tutelage.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Karl G likes this.
  9. Claude Stewart

Oh. a "frown" That's what it has. And that is caused by poor honing techniques?

Thank you for the information.

Karl G likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The opposite of a frown, of course, is a smile.
    That's caused my too much pressure on the heel and toe of the blade. Both the frown and the smile are caused by poor honing techniques.

11. Claude Stewart

I suppose I am having a difficult time understanding how a straight razor blade can sharpen so unevenly?

Same thing with a really nice Geneva Cutlery American I am having problems with.

Karl G likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Mr. Oldschool hit it...
    As you're pushing the blade along the stone, your fingers are exerting a downward pressure on the blade. Focus that pressure in the middle of the blade and you get a frown, focus it on the heel and toe and you get a smile.

13. Claude Stewart

Understandable.

But the thought of a blade only catching the toe and heal while honing is freaking me out.

Karl G likes this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That problem is common on German razors. All that guilding and apprenticing with domed wheels and hones.

There’s a thread on the brand here:

https://sharprazorpalace.com/razors/142296-poll-if-you-will-indulge-me.html

You can do like Glen does in the video, or,

You can hone that overgrind as-is with a narrow hone, I just posted an example today:

https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...-you-honed-lately.52921/page-136#post-1953821

Another example below. Both these were round $35 and work as tomo nagura too.

You can hone it as-is on the corner of a stone using circles/ellipses or back and forth strokes. Cost is $0.

Or you can pay several hundred dollars for a convex hone, and several hundred more for a plate to maintain it with, lol.

46399D2A-6182-4F92-9827-3FE0B7EBF8DF.jpeg

A181CDCF-49D6-4A85-9C8E-0476AA5BF0E2.jpeg

Karl G likes this.
  15. Mr. Oldschool

In most cases of frown or smile, the entire blade is making contact, but where the pressure is strongest will cause the tiny amount of flex that the blade can make to press harder into the hone. The harder it presses, the more friction it creates with the honing grit. The more friction, the more material is removed from the blade.

PLANofMAN, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  16. Claude Stewart

Thanks for the info link. So this blade seems to be pre 1935. Nice

Steve56 likes this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW sir!