What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I can be patient - besides, isn’t 13 an unlucky number? :cool:

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It looks like you have your work cut out for you Glen, good honing!

I’m testing a new stone too, a 190mm/7-1/2” long pointy Nakayama mizu asagi for honing those wonky razors. At $33 it’s the price of a decent tomo, which it can also be used for. It’s fairly soft, but the initial Gold Monkey HHT says that it’s a good razor finisher though the shave test is yet to come. It has Nakayama stamps, which aren’t worth much on modern stones, but it is fine for as soft as it is, and that is a characteristic of good Nakayama stones. It’s also very fast on its own slurry.

Being a Jnat nerd, I lapped the back for use and will laquer the top to preserve the stamps.

D66B6D91-52A5-441F-BECD-31F8B37D18DD.jpeg 98F09570-3924-4661-B544-9DEDF904A323.jpeg

3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

LOL I had to see how the Yet to be named Slate felt

Your #13 was a perfect First Test since it is flawless

Test SOTD
    Trying out a yet to be named Slate Stone
    Filarmonica #13 Novodur
    Custom Elk Brush 24mm SilkSmoke synth knot
    Nuávia shave soap
    Skin Bracer A/S
    Smooth CCS
    Really easy Stone very straight forward light slurry dilution after Chosera 1-5-10 ladder
    The SilkSmoke knot was amazing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hone On !!!

Looks like the weather is going to comply so I need to get some Boat work done before the wife tosses be overboard LOL
    She wants to be on the docks before May 1st.. Oh my aching arms and back in the next few days :)

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That Filly is a fine razor - I’m always impressed with it - glad it could serve as test bed and you enjoyed the shave :sport001: Enjoy the lake when the time comes :happy088:

5. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Used my Welsh “dragon’s tongue”, and coticule stones to refresh two of my razors tonight.

The razors are a German double raccoon razor, and a small razor, called “the pipping”. No other markings are on the small one.

Both gave me no issues on the stones. I’m used to the Welsh stone, but a coticule is new to me. So far, it seems to work just great. Although, it’s hard to tell exactly when it’s had enough. What I mean by that, is the welsh stones I’m used to using kind of.... well “stick” when they are finished. Hopefully, that makes sense, to you guys. The coticule doesn’t do this. I did more laps than I thought I’d have to, and I never felt any resistance. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

I’m not sure right now, which razor will give me tomorrow’s shave! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

6/8” Friedr ERN & Co. 752

Spent a sunny afternoon enjoying the QUIET and touching up the Friedr. Started with the 12K whetstone then onto the 15K. Now on to the strop for hopefully, a superior shaving edge.

FR1.jpg

7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A way to get that “stickion” feeling with a Coticule is using a little running water to finish. I like to have the faucet just barely running, run the hone under it so it has a nice puddle, do 2-3 laps, and repeat. I do this fairly quickly and almost get lost in the repetition, but you will start feeling the resistance.
    Another way is to tilt the hone and get a constant flow on the high side, running down the length of the hone. Then do quick half strokes with the edge going into the water. Keep going until you feel the resistance and then reverse the angle/flow to hit the other side.

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

NOS Klas Tornblom 5/8 (sort of) arrived today and honed with one of the ugliest Jnats I have, which also arrived today. So it was a good day. The stone is a deep layer Nakayama - I look for those - and the progression was 2k Shapton HR, 6K Shapton HC, and the Jnat. It seems to be an exceptionally good finisher, but I will probably get out some SiC and see if the face improves with a good lapping. It’s hard and 30mm thick, so I have some leeway to remove a little material and see what develops.

358EE91A-1BC0-4BDA-AE8B-6F631758FD8E.jpeg

deepsea, Keithmax, lottenhem and 5 others like this.
  9. Claude Stewart

Wait! You live on a boat?

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The one orihi left seems to have finally succumbed. I honed it on a fast new stone as a pre-finisher, then on the second ugliest finishing hone that I have, and finally got the HHT that I was looking for. Test shave tomorrow.

7541816F-4FD0-4B1E-90D4-BCAB4EFE1F26.jpeg

11. Claude Stewart

Hope it’s a smooth going

12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Claude!

TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If at first you don't succeed, Hone Hone Again.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes sir!

DaltonGang, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

Keithmax, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  16. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Touched up by “pimp stick” tonight. Just finished my shave. I was able to finish, and got a DFS, but it was a little uncomfortable, so it needs a little more work.
    The razor is a Boker “our own”
    Stones used were a Welsh slate and a coticule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    The number 13 is considered unlucky in the western world, but not so in Chinese. Quite the opposite,.the number 13 is considered lucky by the Chinese People..Number 13 is My Guardian Angle Number.I Trust My Little Angel Wholeheartedly...She Keeps Me Safe..:love055:

:angelic013:

Billy..:chores016:

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thank you, I'll be here all week. And the next week, and the next. Etc.

Steve56, Billyfergie and Brickman301 like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Touching up a couple on a nice blue-green Nakayama asagi, a hard, fine-grained stone. The tomo is from Alex Gilmore’s hoard stash.

3AA3ADB5-8367-4988-AC4A-8DFE8EC3CF1D.jpeg ED03C211-D08E-4444-B5F2-B28AB3E77695.jpeg

Attached Files:

20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I decided to give my M.K. 133 prototype a little touch up, done with 1 mil Kapton. The hone is an excellent fine hard Jnat that I’ve always called the ‘sunrise’ stone, Japan being the land of the rising sun and the stones coming from a mountain just outside Kyoto. Can you see the sun rising behind a mountain in the stone’s pattern? This is a classic Nakayama asagi ‘bubble’ bounded by yake (the orange iron bearing ring). But it’s distorted enough to look like a mountain.

The mejiro provided some pre-finishing grit, and is also an interesting stone. It is not an Asano stamped stone, yet it is one of the best Mikawa nagura that I have - it’s grit rich, fine, and smooth as silk. Sakimoto San says that mejiro is finer than koma, just slower. That may be true but this mejiro is not slow, it’s super fast.

Anyway, lots of fun with the rocks this afternoon after mowing the yard.

13D82EB4-010D-47BA-B0CD-274D2617B74A.jpeg