Straight Razor under nose?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Claude Stewart, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Any expert tips for a better shave for directly under the nose? I pull the nose. Stretch the lip down but, not getting a close shave there. :sad024:

Appreciate your help.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's been a long time since I shaved my mustache. If I remember correctly, I pulled my nose to the side and went across the grain (XTG) over the upper lip. Switched hands and repeat for the other side.

3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

The so called, "fool's pass".

Good luck and keep the styptic pencil ready.

Tedolph

Dave in KY likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Best suggestion I can make is to roll your lip over your teeth tightly and use only the toe of the blade at a very shallow angle.

Edison Carter likes this.
  5. Claude Stewart

Fools Pass? Uh, that doesn’t sound productive...

6. Claude Stewart

Thanks. I do that now. It just isn’t great. The blade is sharp as hell and not sure how to get the best angel without slicing my lip off.

Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I don’t shave my mustache, but I have read and seen videos where both hands were used to hold the razor at the toe and heel. The razor was held firmly and steady while the shaver moved his head instead of the razor.

This would have been for ‘the fools pass’ S to N against the grain.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. Tedolph

I don't think it is a good idea to ever move your face while in contact with the blade.

Tedolph

Dave in KY and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Tedolph

It produces a lot.....of blood.

Tedolph

10. Edison Carter

You may be right, and I’ve never tried it. If I shaved the mustache, I would try it. Perhaps the OP should avoid it.

One of the gentlemen who mentored many folks here on TSD, including me describes it well and does it every day.

11. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

My $0.02.

It absolutely is not necessary to perform the Fools Pass technique to get an acceptable result on the upper lip area, between lip and nose. It just takes practice. And more practice.

Sharp razor & slick lather are essential. I can get as smooth as anywhere shaved in that area. First pass North to South. Second pass I do middle of nose to ears, toe up. Third pass is much the same, but with the blade at a 45 degrees, still middle of nose to ears.

Others have already mentioned the stretching strategies. I’ve grown to really like the square or pointed toe designs for this area specifically. With lots of shaves now under the belt, I can even chase single stubs of hair in the nose shadows with little difficulty.

Go slow, make sure shaving is the only thing on the brain, and keep practicing.

12. octoserge

octoserge Member

My current technique:
    1st pass - North to south WTG, with the lightest initial touch possible, rolling the blade once it makes initial contact as it progresses down to the upper lip, all the while stretching as Primo says.
    2nd pass - across the grain left to right, then choking up and using my index finger on the barber’s notch (or unnotched toe of the blade) to get the stragglers right under my nose.
    3rd pass - No 3rd pass.

Claude Stewart and Edison Carter like this.
  13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I puff my moustache area with air and draw my lip under my teeth. It is a two part video and a little drawn out, but you might pick something up.

PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Edison Carter

Nicely done.

15. Claude Stewart

thank you

16. Mastropiero

Mastropiero Member

For the WTG pass, I always roll my lip over my teeth.

ATG, which I always do, I pinch my nose, pull upwards, until I manage to straighten the lip. I look atrocious when doing it, but it works very well.

Actually, I do this for the WTG pass too. I once read that shaving would be dar easier if we had square faces. Well, I try to achieve just that by stretching the skin in different ways. This one is just one of them.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Bring the razor in at a 45 degree angle right under the nose to get started on a N/S pass.

If you want to do an ATG pass it takes time and practice. Lots of it but it can be mastered. Take very small strokes at a time in especially difficult areas. You might find yourself only removing an 1/8th of an inch at a time in some areas. As someone else mentioned it can also be useful to use two hands to get more control - one grip at the toe, one at the heel :happy088:

Stretch, etc as useful :chores016:

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A good carpenter has several sizes and types of hammers available to get the job done right.
    A good artist has several sizes and types of brushes available to get the work looking good.
    Why can't a good shaver have several types of razors available to get the whole face smooth?
    My point, is it really a bad thing to switch to a DE for under the nose? :signs002:
    Just askin'.

Edison Carter and Tedolph like this.
  19. Claude Stewart

I do it if the larger razor isn’t reaching the right under my nose hair. I’ll go to a 2/8

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Claude, my response was more tongue in cheek, but I do make a point.
    I certainly hope you find a way to get the straight under your nose for a shave you're happy with! :happy088: