1959 195 E4 Gillette Fatboy on Returned :(

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by awk-m4, Apr 14, 2021.

1. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

I received a message from Ebay that the Fatboy I won will not be shipped and will be returned to the seller. The message indicated that the seller is responsible for refunding me. (I hope that goes well) .
    Once that's settled I'm going to look for another one. I found that Razor Emporium sell them but $195 USD is really cost prohibitive.

I'm a little (ok maybe a lot) disappointed for sure.
    Please let me know if their are other avenues that I ought to consider in my quest to obtain a little piece of shaving. history.

Here is s snippet from the email I received.

"Our shipping partners have notified us that the package cannot be delivered due to Restricted/Prohibited Item. These issues can include custom restrictions, country sanctions, brand restrictions or eBay program restrictions. If you have additional questions, please contact eBay customer service."

"We apologize for the inconvenience and want to make sure you are taken care of.  As a result, we have also notified your seller that the order is being sent back to them and advised them that they are responsible for providing a full refund. Your seller has been asked to contact you promptly to resolve this matter."

Paul D

2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Remind yourself that there are FatBoy’s for sale every day.

Online pricing can be high on the more popular razors.

I’ve gotten my best deals on FatBoy’s poking around antique and second hand shops.

richgem, lightcs1776 and awk-m4 like this.
  3. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you John. I will call some the antique shops in the city to see if I can find one.
    Paul D

4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My first one (FatBoy) I searched for what seemed like eons (it was only a matter of weeks) and then paid too much only to find a nicer one a few weeks later for less money so I sold the first one to a friend for the same price I paid. He was too aggressive with his cleaning products and took half the finish off of it.

The two outside end ones in the photos are in excellent condition and they came with cases (average condition) for all of 10 bucks each. I was in what used to be an antique store that has evolved into mostly chalk painted furniture, dried flowers, and arts & crap. The seller had a regular Super Speed as well but had it priced at $15 so he/she obviously didn't know what they were other than old razors.

The one in the middle I picked up last year cheap (can't remember but it wasn't much) and then proceeded to drop it on the hard floor of my basement and now it's nicely bent (as you can see). It's been sitting on my desk ever since to remind me not to drop razors on concrete. One of these days I'll send it off for repair along with a bent Slim I've had for a long time.

Just be patient and something will come along. Try to resist jumping at the first one and/or paying too much.

ert.jpg

dfg.jpg

awk-m4 likes this.
  5. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

John those are excellent photos! Thank you for sharing your insight! I will patiently wait for the right opportunity. Thank you!

Paul D

6. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Here is what I think is a user grade FB, just to give you an idea what you should expect.

Attached Files:

awk-m4 likes this.
  7. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

That looks like a fantastic razor!

Paul D

lightcs1776 likes this.
  8. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'd like to share some exciting news.
    Yesterday Chris (AKA lightcs1776) sent me a private message offering to give me his Gillette 195!
    How cool is that!! He's not looking for recognition but I wanted everyone to know of his generosity.
    I recently joined this forum and feel so blessed to know such kind people. I can't wait until it arrives and will definitely treasure it! I'm so excited knowing that this will be my daily razor. It will pass down to my children (hopefully not for many years to come) :)

Thank you Chris!!!!

Regards
    Paul D

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's sage advice, albeit difficult.

John Beeman, Edison Carter and awk-m4 like this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Congratulations, Paul and WELL DONE, Chris!!!

11. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Boy did I catch a break! Definitely feeling very appreciative and blessed!

Paul D

12. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Thank you Primo! I'm looking forward to sharing my experience shaving with this fantastic piece of history!

Paul D

13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

awk-m4 likes this.
  14. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

Check estate sales also, I picked up a cased one for $8!

lightcs1776, Enrico and awk-m4 like this.
  15. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

That an amazing deal for sure. @lightcs1776 shipped out the Fatboy today so it should arrive in a few days. I can't wait to take it for a test drive!
    Paul D

lightcs1776 and Enrico like this.