How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BlueShaver, Oct 4, 2019.

?

How do you make your coffee?

1. Drip (Percolator)

25 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. French press (cafetiere )

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Capsule (Nespresso-ish)

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Espresso machine

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. AeroPress

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Moka Pot

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. I drink Instant

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  8. Coffee is for cowboys

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Technium

Technium Active Member

I use an automatic espresso machine. It is lazier than making coffee. It makes a decent americano at the push of a button with no filter to clean out. For lattes I usually head out, though I should do one at home once in awhile. I tend to do coffee for bigger groups. For that I just grind the beans and do standard drip coffee. Spella is my drug of first choice for all the above, though I have others I enjoy too.

2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

The Leaning Tower of Pisa ... in the manner of Naples

[​IMG]

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I use an electric Corning ware percolator. Also a French press on occasion.

I grind extra course. I have been using Peet’s Major Dickinson whole beans. Great price at Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

More of a tea drinker, but when I want a cup of coffee it is mostly a pour over.

I have had a the same moka pot for the last few decades as well. It needs a new gasket but still works well enough.

5. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I have a moka pot for my first coffee of the day. After that I grind coarse and use a French Press. My coffee of choice is from Italia: Lavazza Qualita Rossa is my favorite.

Paul D

Uncle Trojan and Tedolph like this.
  6. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Just got an espresso machine, love it! we still give our Keurig plenty of use everyday.

awk-m4 likes this.
  7. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I don't think their is any way to not enjoy coffee. In a pinch I like certain instant coffees as well.

Paul D

Enrico likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use a Bonavita drip machine.

I do not enjoy cold coffee in any form.
    I do not enjoy coffee tainted with any kind of sweetener, cream(er), or flavoring.
    Coffee is supposed to be hot and black.

Pour flour in a bowl, add butter, sugar, egg, and milk. Mix it and you call it batter, not flour.
    Pour coffee in a cup, add sweetener, cream and flavoring. Mix it and call it what you want, but don't call it coffee.*

But that's me.
    It's your coffee. Enjoy it your way!

*(ok, call it coffee, if you must :prrr:, :D)

Enrico likes this.
  9. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="It's your coffee. Enjoy it your way!)[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I was younger I was often asked if I would like any coffee with my milk. For about 20 years I've been drinking it straight black. As such I've learned to appreciate the differences in what I feel is a good coffee vs. not. All subjective of course which makes your statement totally true!

Enrico likes this.
  10. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

My 30 yr. old Bialetti Moka pot. Ran it without water twice and melted the gasket. Other than replacing those, it is indestructible. It works well with anything ground between an espresso grind and a drip grind. My favorite coffee (bang for buck) is Segafredo if I can find it. If not, Medaglia D'Oro .

WIN_20210416_11_54_17_Pro resized.jpg

Shaver X, DaltonGang, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

ah yes the good ole MRE coffee instant.

awk-m4 likes this.
  12. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

What an iconic coffee maker! Grew up with that one. I have a Bialetti as well but it is of the stainless steel variety.

Tedolph and Enrico like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Are the Moka Pots for expresso only, or does it make regular coffee?

14. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

The use case for Moka Pots is to make an espresso like coffee which is typically of the fine grind variety. The servings are much smaller (typically referred to as shots) than what we would refer to as a regular coffee.

Regards
    Paul D

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Espresso only, but then you can use that to make whatever you want, e.g. an Americano, café latte, cappuccino, macchiato, iced coffee, pour over ice cream, etc. I usually drink it as an Americano with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 foamed milk and 1/3 hot water...Mmmmmmm. Makes a giant cup I drink half when I get up and the rest later in the morning. Great with a warm croissant with butter and marmalade....Mmmmmmm. The pot shown in the photo makes a little more than two shots. They make other sizes, e.g. Three cups, six cups even 12 cups I think? Remember, these are demitasse sized (shot sized) cups.

Of course you could just drink it straight like the Italians do like a whiskey and then walk around on the ceiling. The Moka pot extracts way more caffeine from the coffee than either a drip machine or French press. Another great thing about the Moka pot is that there is no waste ( no paper filters, plastic pods, etc.) and it uses less coffee than other methods because the extraction is so efficient. No problem using it on a camp stove, etc.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    DaltonGang and awk-m4 like this.
  16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

But... espresso roasted beans have less caffeine than regular coffee due to 1) the higher/longer temperatures used in roasting and 2) espresso beans are typically robusto (not arabica) which have less caffeine to begin with.

(Or at least so my coffee guy tells me)

DaltonGang likes this.
  17. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

My info on this is anecdotal. My impression is that espresso caffeine content is more concentrated than regular (drip) coffee.

18. richgem

Could be... maybe depends on the exact beans.

edit: I also would not discount a psychological factor or better put, placebo effect: espresso tastes stronger therefore must have more caffeine.

19. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I'm going to spend some time researching this.

20. richgem

Let me know what you find out.