The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

You have some great feedback from Karl, Billy and Steve, and if I could add on a bit.

I am a fan of old Sheffield’s, both the looks and the history... and some of the old, big choppers can be fun to modify if you get them cheap with cracks... so much steel to play with. :)

If you jump in, lower your expectation’s bar because you may deal with slight twists and “unique” geometry... but that is some of the fun with these pieces. I’m a W&B fan, having close to 50, but that is because there are so many out there, and they cover all the shapes, sizes and grinds.

If we can help assess, don’t hesitate to ask.
    Tom

esvh, Billyfergie, Steve56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Redfish Rick

Redfish Rick Active Member

50?!!! Wow!
    That’s cool.
    If I come across a good deal on a W&B, I’ll probably grab it.

I just bought this one. I’m stoked to see it. (eBay grab)[​IMG]

esvh, Keithmax, battle.munky and 7 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pressed the Button on this Beautiful NOS Mint Factory Fresh DOVO 98 Model Buffalo Horn 5/8th..I Got it for a Steal..I Mean a Real Mega Deal..I Am Not Into Dovo Razors in General But these are Top of the Range Jobs..They Can Cost Well Ova $300.00 Bucks..I Honed One of these Top of the Range Dovo Razors Once & Was Seriously Impressed by it..But the Price of Em is.Mental..I Got it for a Mental Low Price Mind..Real Lookers & Shave Totally Different to Most Dovos..:D

I Also Got a Great Deal from a UK Seller on this NOS Factory Fresh Henckels Solingen 5/8th..Good Hunting Day Me Reckons..My Martial Arts Teacher Has an Auld Scottish Saying..Whit^s Fur Ye^ll No Go By Ye..He Was Bang On the Button..Scottish Style..:happy097:

Rock on Tommy..:git:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@Billyfergie

Step #1 to Recovery.
    "Admit you have an addiction, and that you are powerless to control your addiction" .
    :happy102:

Or, something a little more Sci-Fi:
    Darth Vader
    “You don’t know the power of the dark side.”
    Yoda
    “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you, it will.”
    :yoda

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Don’t listen to them Billy.

372E9449-AAEB-4698-BE4E-7EA733F3629C.png

Keithmax, DaltonGang, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. Redfish Rick

Gorgeous!!!
    I found a company selling NOS Soligen razors, but boy they are proud of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esvh, Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Razor prices are nuts for some reason, as are many things in the past year. A Spanish seller had a Gen 1 Filarmonica Especial with light wear go for $860. I was offered $600 for a mint Sub Cero a year ago and prices are up 20% or more since (I declined the offer). A restored Heljestrand M.K. 33 in tortoise is available for $900. It’s almost like Wade and Butchers after the Bond movie ‘Skyfall’.

There are other venues for obtaining desirable razors, with varying levels of risk, but probably the best way in the west is a network of like-minded friends and dealers. You’re here, so you have a good start. I hope that you find some really nice ones!

Having said all that, you can justify spending more on a razor if you buy fewer of them. Like most everyone else, when I was learning to shave, hone, and learning what I liked, I bought many user grade razors, all sorts of grinds and widths. A lot of them, but cheap razors.. Now, I buy a few high grade razors, the money/year isn’t much more, and manageable. I still have a weakness for old frame backs and swayback English shorties, and will buy one with little wear even if it isn’t cosmetically good, though these don’t cost much.

Good hunting @Redfish Rick

esvh, Keithmax, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Well Addicted to this Fair Lady..Its Just Yin & Yang..Ya Know..Thanks Laddies..:love055:

:rofl:

Billy.:chores016:

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

:eatdrink047:

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  10. Redfish Rick

Thank you so much!
    This has been one of the most helpful and positive groups, I’ve joined on the interwebs.
    I am fond of the solingens.
    I’ve got a soft spot for Bokers, as I got hooked on their pocket knives.

Thank you, everyone!

esvh, Keithmax, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  11. deepsea

deepsea Well-Known Member

These arrived today and I am Very excited. They were all taken up to a 12k edge by the seller and I’m looking forward to a shave with one of them this evening.
    A88F7C71-8D23-41AA-930E-A97B715CA307.jpeg 4C8F074E-C9B0-4742-994B-5D30DAD00407.jpeg

12. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Congratulations, I would love to have a set like that.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

esvh, Karl G and deepsea like this.
  13. Redfish Rick

Oh my lawd!

They are gorgeous, sir.

I seen a set like this for sale the other day. It was too rich for my blood $$$

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Congrats!

Karl G likes this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This one incoming, vendor’s images. AE8E16FC-3EB1-4E23-84FD-055BCEC38B1C.jpeg A1782D89-2BEC-4585-8FD4-67178C6E6E47.jpeg 63F1E375-FA4C-41B0-92C5-012E0DF0395C.jpeg

16. TestDepth

Worthy addition Steve! You do find the best of the best. :eatdrink047:

Redfish Rick, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Tom!

TestDepth and Karl G like this.
  18. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

6/8 Carl Rader - Rader's Razor

Was interested so, I picked up this one.

rader.jpg

rader2.jpg

rader1.jpg

19. TestDepth

Nice pick-up Claude. I am a fan of Mr. Rader's creations. :eatdrink047:

20. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

looking forward to shaving with it.