April 2021 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion. ALL ARE WELCOME!

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Mar 31, 2021.

?

What are you shaving plans for April?

1. I am going to exclusively use an adjustable razor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am going to exclusively lather with Arko.

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. I am going to exclusively lather with Arko AND use an adjustable razor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am going to exclusively make fun of the shavers, who lather with Arko.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. I am going to exclusively shave with whatever suits me.

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  6. I abhor exclusivity, therefore I am going to sulk and eat cookies.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Sorry you had to see that Joe :happy102:

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  2. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Congratulations Joe:)

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

April 30, 2021
    Yates 921 H Plate
    Feather
    Simpson CH3 Synthetic
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    Grand Bay Rum Aftershave

[​IMG]

Happy Friday Everyone. Back with MWF for Fat Friday. Given my complete lack of patience, I just had to use the CH3 synthetic brush today. The fibers are the same as the fibers used in the Trafalgar T3. On the surface it would appear that the CH3 and T3 would feel very similar. I found that is not the case. The bulb on the CH3 is more defined providing a different face feel. Also, the knot on the CH3 is more dense. Overall the impression of the CH3 was more like a super sized CH2 than the T3. I can safely say I am going to really enjoy this brush. The Yates with the H plate is one of my favorite razors. As expected it delivered another automatic drama free BBS shave. A splash of Grand Bay Rum aftershave and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Friday.

April 2021 Recap

[​IMG]

Another month in the books. I have made a serious dent in the La Toja shave cream. I expect it will be done and dusted during May. My shave journey has certainly evolved. In the beginning, I was always on the search for more aggressive razors thinking they would provide a closer shave. Now I have come to prefer milder razors that require a more solid technique to get a close shave efficiently. Now smooth milder razors are my preferred razors. I smile when I read comments that a razor is too mild to give a close shave. Six years later, I know that is not the case at all. Another revelation for the month was adding lanolin to MdC. Thank you @Keithmax . This little tip truly elevates MdC. For those that find MdC trying give this a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. As allows the best part of the month was sharing it with the 30DC members. This little corner of the internet is truly something special. Thank you guys for allowing me to tag along. I look forward to participating next month.

brit, JACarbone, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Just awesomeness all around fellas . :) Yesterday was a 13 hr day so I didn't have the luxury or time to shave or reply.

Keithmax, ischiapp, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Great recap Clint. Here's to another month of shaving the way it was meant to be :eatdrink047:

6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks Patrick!

7. Trigger

Wonderful shave, pic and a happy recap Clint. Enjoy your day!

clint64, Hembree and jgreenepa like this.
  8. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Thank you Patrick!

9nein9, clint64, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  9. Trigger

No worries, you are busy making a living. I always say that you should take the extra $$$ when it is available.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    9nein9, Keithmax, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  10. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

Well, I finally found a home for my GEM micromatic.

11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Fat Friday
    20210430_063710.jpg
    Gillette 195 "Fatboy" E2 date code
    Astra SP (fresh)
    MrEE LE #011 brush handle with Dscosmetics synthetic knot
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat shave soap
    Royal Cooenhagen cologne

The 195 had to come out and play today. Awesome shave all the way around. Great soap and three smooth passes with no drama.

Finished the shave off with a little witch hazel followed the Royal Copenhagen.

It has been a fun month and I appreciate y'all letting me hang out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Friday!

Screenshot_20210430-073801_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-073812_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210430-073850_Chrome.jpg

brit, 9nein9, JACarbone and 12 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Not the best way to close out the month of April, but it was passable. I had a cut at N.Porcupine, making me wonder if I should grow some hair there too. Wasn't in the plan. 0:35 for the "first" loading job onto the Jayaruh(#59). Almost right away I went for 0:10 more, as the soap was a bit too watery. Real good work along the cheeks&sideburn areas. At Cactus Nation I had to be careful not to shave too far north and thus knock out some of the hair that has been growing at the jawline&chin. I think that will be my major focus for May. I actually did put some of the soap onto that very area, but had the presence of mind to wipe it off without shaving any of it. The A.S. finished it off nicely. Very Excellent.

brit, 9nein9, JACarbone and 11 others like this.
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

748473F5-DE9B-49EF-92BF-931A77AC291C.png
    SOTD FRIDAY MORNING, April 30, 2021

Welcome to Mitchell’s Wool Fat Fatboy Friday! It’s a bright sunny day here in the western Philadelphia burbs, and the perfect day for a great dome shave, albeit with the bulky Gillette TTO FB head design. Fortunately, for me, my goatee gets me an upper lip pass, so no issues! I also do enjoy shaving the mug with the Boker & Co. French Point. This little razor just works for me, particularly in the toe down neck pass that can be tricky with a larger blade. One of my good shave buddies is eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new Kravchenko shave hatchet. This will be his second, the first came from another artisan.

There is no question that they’re beautifully crafted. I prefer the traditional 19th century vintage lines and blade sizes of a classic straight razor like my little cast steel Boker French Point. I can’t attribute this shave hatchet, cleaver-looking aesthetic trend to millennial tastes, as my son, a fifty something and a very well-respected almost eighty something straight razor forum admin are fans as well. But that kind of variety of taste is why I enjoy this hobby of ours so much. I expect at some point, I’ll attempt a shave with one of these whisker cleavers, but until then I have more than enough traditionally sized straight razors to keep me well-occupied.

The shave this morning to the background refrain of my favorite super group, all musicians of my age, the Traveling Wilbury’s “End of the Line”, was uneventfully superb. The key to a great straight razor shave is taking one’s time and really “being there”, focused and involved. It’s almost a form of meditation for me in the mornings. It’s one of the two times of day for this old retiree that’s all mine! The ‘Honey Do’ list disappears. My favorite shave soap, the variety of shave tools that change each day, and that wonderfully smooth, clean, cool, and refreshing result set the tone for the rest of the day. The other time is when I’m working on my TR6.

RAZOR: Boker & Co. Sheffield Cast Steel French Point (Mug), Gillette Fatboy
    BLADE: Kai DE
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
    BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Tuxedo Synth
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with L’Occitane Cade AS Balm.

brit, 9nein9, JACarbone and 12 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Awwwright, you have your Royal Copenhagen!! I got mine a day before it was supposed to be here. I haven't yet used it, but I decided to "platoon" it with Aqua Velva, when using the Down By The River soap(Central Texas Soaps). Course you have the fragrance, whereas mine is the aftershave.

15. Paul Turner

Is that Tom Petty to George's left?

JACarbone, jgreenepa, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  16. jgreenepa

Great shave, John! Sorry to hear about the neurology issues. They suck! I see a neurologist for both Parkinson’s (thanks to Agent Orange) and Rheumatoid Arthritis, probably same origin, but not service-connected like Parkinson’s. Neuros have many more tools available than they did when I started seeing them for my RA 20 or so years ago. I’ll pray for a good outcome for you! :)

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

April 30th
    Razor: Paradigm Diamondback 2020
    Blade: Ladas SuperStainless (3)
    Brush: Heritage Collection dubl duck/ gelled boar
    Pre-shave: PAA Cube
    Soap: PAA Astra Planeta
    PAA Galactic Witch Hazel
    PAA Astra Planeta Star Jelly
    AS: PAA Astra Planeta

Good morning!

Well, I did it. I used the same soap, aftershave and brush for the entire month. I also stuck with one brand of blade, Ladas SuperStainless. I went through ten of them.

I failed to finish off my first tub of soap, I am close though.

On a positive note my gelled boar is broken in and working wonderfully.

My month with the Ladas SuperStainless blades in ten different razors reaffirms my belief that blades are blades with only subtle differences between them. I'm not a believer in blade razor pairings or that certain blades take an elevated level of technique over other blades. Poor technique, poor shave. Good technique, good shave. Great technique, great shave.

See you all next month!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, JACarbone and 10 others like this.
  18. jgreenepa

Sorry to hear about both the leak and the shave, but it sounds like you have both covered. When you join the MOLC you’ll have a never-ending sequence of these projects in the offing! SWMBOs can be remarkably creative in finding thing to keep us occupied. :)

19. deepsea

deepsea Well-Known Member

Thank you Clint!

Thank you Joe! I really concentrated on having a light touch on the film and I was rewarded with the edge tree topping hair off my arm.

JACarbone, Keithmax, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  20. jgreenepa

Fabulous injector shave despite the mishap, Joe! Hope you enjoy your day! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.