3D printed razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Dec 5, 2020.

1. SlimGem

SlimGem Well-Known Member

The handle is printed in 100% infill. Since it is a fat handle, I think a good option would be to allow the use of a stainless steel bolt for added weight.

Electrif likes this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You my friend are a true designer of beauty and function. I love your designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ron R, riverrun and SlimGem like this.
  3. SlimGem

Thank you for your kind comment! And thank you for inspiring the idea.

Ron R and twhite like this.
  4. SlimGem

Here's my finished design of the 3d printed lather catcher with storage case.

This SE safety razor design was inspired by the "Stoll Chrome Steel Lather Catcher" made by The Wilbert Cutlery Co. in Chicago IL, in the early 1900s. The razor uses the more readily available GEM blades. With the addition of a baton handle, this razor is appropriately named "Stoll Jr.". The razor is very easy to maneuver, and the unique floating edge design provides excellent feedback.

This razor is very easy to print, and once assembled, it is a one-piece razor with no moving parts. The only post-processing should be the removal of the included support on the razor-head and gluing the head and handle together with CA glue, or similar. Additional supports are NOT needed.

How to install blade:
    Hold the blade from sides with thumb and index finger and edge pointing away from hand. With the same grip, insert the spine of the blade through the front of the razor-head between the cap and the comb and slide into the back slot. Inspect that the blade is properly centered and that the spine is making full contact in the back slot. The cap should have good tension on the blade, and the cap's index tab should be properly seated in the blade's center slot. DO NOT INSTALL, OR REMOVE BLADE FROM THE SIDES.

How to print storage case with different color letters:
    Step 1) Open file "Stoll_Jr_Case_Letters.stl" into slicer of choice. Center object if it doesn't automatically center when loaded. Set the first layer height to 0.2mm and slice and print with your filament color of choice. When the print is finished, DO NOT remove it from the build platform.

Step 2) Open file "Stoll_Jr_Case_Main.stl" into slicer of choice. Center object if it doesn't automatically center when loaded. Set the first layer height to 0.2mm and slice and print using a different color filament. This file will print around and on top of the letters from the first printed file and will combine the two-color objects on the same layer. The case is a print-in-place design and may require some flexing at the hinges to break away any layers that may have fused during printing.

The files are now available on Thingiverse.

GEM Single Edge Safety Razor "Stoll Jr. SE" Lather Catcher with Case by rogerquin - Thingiverse

or

https://www.thingiverse.com/rogerquin/designs

P1040870m.JPG

P1040869m.JPG

P1040871m.JPG

P1040872m.JPG

P1040873m.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    ischiapp, cliffb599, hins2jw0 and 6 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I saw your case on FB but you had removed it so I could not comment on it. I like it. Good job there. BTW, I made a wood case for my Stoll Jr.

cliffb599 and SlimGem like this.
  6. SlimGem

Thanks! I also designed a matching brush handle. I'll upload the file soon.

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is amazing what can be done with those 3D printers(you must of had a machining or programing back ground). Custom made cases! You know there are a lot of metal Lather catchers out there with no cases that need a new case to protect them. Wooden ones are nice looking and lend to that time Era for lather catchers but finding a wooden case is hard to come buy and might be expensive.
    :eatdrink047: great job on your case and your lather catcher.

SlimGem likes this.
  8. SlimGem

Thank you! I agree. Trying to restore a hundred-year-old wooden razor case is pretty hard sometimes. With 3d printing, once you have a base design for a case, you can customize it to fit almost any razor.

Electrif likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Whatever the material is for 3D printing, can it take smoothing out and polishing?

SlimGem likes this.
  10. SlimGem

I don't usually do much post-processing on my prints, but I've had good results with wet sanding.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I'm waiting on another version of a AC razor or an injector razor .. The regular GEM SE blades are to hard for me to find around here...

SlimGem likes this.
  12. SlimGem

I do have another version of an AC razor, but it still needs quite a bit of work.
    IMG_3570 (2).JPG

gorgo2, ischiapp, cliffb599 and 3 others like this.
  13. jaro

I have a 3d printer and when you are ready let me know where I can get the file so I could try it out please.. thank you... I recently made a stubby 3d printed rubberset 400 that has been in some of my SOTD pics.

cliffb599 likes this.
  14. SlimGem

Awesome! Have you made the files available? I wouldn't mind printing it. I've seen quite a few rubbersets lately.

15. jaro

Let me find where I put it and ill send it to you..

SlimGem likes this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SlimGem likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

SE SOTD, Tue, June 8th 2021

Razor: TNNSER @twhite 3D printed creation, Mfg 2020 excellent midrange, interesting design & works well, light weight, always receive great results.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) excellent blade, Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
    Soap: Speick, nice spicy scent, excellent lather qualities.
    Brush: Yaqi Moka express 26mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock American barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = [​IMG] excellent shave with my 3D printed TNNSER with a coated Gem blade.
    [​IMG]

Have some great shaves!

KenBB, Electrif, SlimGem and 2 others like this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So did the 3D injector razors come to pass?

Jayaruh and jaro like this.
  19. jaro

I'm curious of this as well.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I'm really digging the simplicity and looks of this 3D adjustable but can't find any instances of anyone having used it other than its designer, and none of the online printing sites having it to print...
    featured_preview_IMG_20191116_184750_kr~2.jpg

gorgo2 likes this.